2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Beginner Bushido Task 3
Ben Higgins
Feb 9 2012, 11:32 AM
Instructor
Warriors, you have a new task ahead of you.. if you are brave enough to accept it ! ph34r.gif

Task 3: Attached File  Beginner_Bushido_Lick_1.gp5 ( 3.03K ) Number of downloads: 206
Record and upload yourself playing this lick at a speed of your choice. You have until next Thursday 16th February. I orginally designed these licks for legato practice but I want you to play these licks with alternate picking all the way through. This is further designed to help with your hand synch, timing and finger dexterity. These classic 3 note per string shapes are essential and once you've learned them, they can be used to navigate any scale.

The GPro file is there for you to hear the lick but here is the tab as well:

Beginner Bushido Lick 1

|---3---| |---3---| |---3---| |---3---|
E E E E E E E E E E E E
E||--8p--7p--5--8p--7p--5--8p--7p--5--8p--7p--5--|
B||----------------------------------------------|
G||----------------------------------------------|
D||----------------------------------------------|
A||----------------------------------------------|
E||----------------------------------------------|

E E E E E E E E E E E E
--8p--7p--5--8p--7p--5--8p--7p--5--8p--7p--5--|
----------------------------------------------|

E E E E E E E E E E E E
--10p--8p--7--10p--8p--7--10p--8p--7--10p--8p--7--|
--------------------------------------------------|

E E E E E E E E E E E E
--10p--8p--7--10p--8p--7--10p--8p--7--10p--8p--7--|

|----3---| |----3---| |----3---| |----3---|
E E E E E E E E E E E E
--12p--10p--8--12p--10p--8--12p--10p--8--12p--10p--8--|
------------------------------------------------------|

|----3---| |----3---| |----3---| |----3---|
E E E E E E E E E E E E
--12p--10p--8--12p--10p--8--12p--10p--8--12p--10p--8--|

|----3----| |----3----| |----3----| |----3----|
E E E E E E E E E E E E
--13p--12p--10--13p--12p--10--13p--12p--10--13p--12p--10--|
----------------------------------------------------------|

|----3----| |----3----| |----3----| |----3----| ---
E E E E E E E E E E E E
--13p--12p--10--13p--12p--10--13p--12p--10--13p--12p--10--|-----||
----------------------------------------------------------|-----||

Tip to remember: Always begin with a downstroke, which is the most common way to start an alternate picking sequence.
2nd tip to remember: Speed is not important.. hand synchronisation and accuracy is your goal. Try to stay with the metronome, not rushing in front of it.

Good luck !

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 10 2012, 10:57 AM
Instructor
Morning warriors - in -training. I hope the snowy conditions haven't frozen your hands and that you are copin well with your Tasks

Just wanted to check in and see if you guys are doing ok with this one ? Have I explained the lick well enough ?

Let me know if you'd like some help smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Olivier777
Feb 10 2012, 11:30 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi Master Ben !

It's well explained and I am working on it as we speak smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 10 2012, 01:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Olivier777 @ Feb 10 2012, 10:30 AM) *
Hi Master Ben !

It's well explained and I am working on it as we speak smile.gif

That's good to know Olivier ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Olivier777
Feb 10 2012, 04:08 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello again,

I have completed my task ! I had to hurry because I will be away from my beloved axe for a few days. rolleyes.gif I think I did OK on this one but I will let you be the judge of that.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  BushidoTask3_100bpm.mp3 ( 865.31K ) Number of downloads: 156

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 10 2012, 06:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Olivier777 @ Feb 10 2012, 03:08 PM) *
Hello again,

I have completed my task ! I had to hurry because I will be away from my beloved axe for a few days. rolleyes.gif I think I did OK on this one but I will let you be the judge of that.

Hey Olivier.. yes, this is really good ! From these basic shapes, you can build up to more complex picking licks but the foundations have to be strong before you can build the house smile.gif

+Quote Post
zoom
Feb 11 2012, 11:44 AM
Learning Roadie
First attempt at this today. I started around 80 bpm and ended up at 150bpm. I'm focusing on being clean, so I'm pretty happy so far.
I'm also having a go at the intermediate lesson 2. I really like it. I've played it once at 65 bpm but i couldn't repeat it so I'm going to hang around 50 to 55 bpm for a few days.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 11 2012, 01:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (zoom @ Feb 11 2012, 10:44 AM) *
First attempt at this today. I started around 80 bpm and ended up at 150bpm. I'm focusing on being clean, so I'm pretty happy so far.
I'm also having a go at the intermediate lesson 2. I really like it. I've played it once at 65 bpm but i couldn't repeat it so I'm going to hang around 50 to 55 bpm for a few days.

Sounds good Zoom.. I look forward to hearing your takes smile.gif

+Quote Post
zoom
Feb 13 2012, 02:32 AM
Learning Roadie
Ok just got to 170bpm but struggling there. Good exercise! Especially up in the these ice capped mountains. I find with this exercise I start around 60bpm cause it's easy to count 123 there, where around 100bpm I'm trying to do 4 notes or something but I'm not getting the groove.
I'm also working on Ian Bushell's lesson and played it 80bpm but again I'm not great at that tempo. Question? when playing live and you have to do somthing like this say that's tricking and you don't have the luxury of do lots of takes do you practice it faster so it seems easy live? Or like a teacher once made me do was don't stop keep playing in other words don't let a bum note stop you.
I also remember once doing an intro into a song with a piano and I just got out of time. The other guitar player got up me a bit and said if you get out of time stop hear the beat and start again.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 13 2012, 11:08 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (zoom @ Feb 13 2012, 01:32 AM) *
Ok just got to 170bpm but struggling there. Good exercise! Especially up in the these ice capped mountains. I find with this exercise I start around 60bpm cause it's easy to count 123 there, where around 100bpm I'm trying to do 4 notes or something but I'm not getting the groove.
I'm also working on Ian Bushell's lesson and played it 80bpm but again I'm not great at that tempo. Question? when playing live and you have to do somthing like this say that's tricking and you don't have the luxury of do lots of takes do you practice it faster so it seems easy live? Or like a teacher once made me do was don't stop keep playing in other words don't let a bum note stop you.
I also remember once doing an intro into a song with a piano and I just got out of time. The other guitar player got up me a bit and said if you get out of time stop hear the beat and start again.

Sounds like you're doing a good job smile.gif

To answer your questions, I would say yes to both of them.

Playing beyond the tempo that you need to is a good thing to do because it makes the required tempo seem ore manageable.

Also, I have always had the habit of carrying on even when I make a mistake because if you stop everytime, then you'll start doing this all the time that you play guitar and you'll never be able to run through a whole piece.

For the purposes of practising a certain lick, it makes sense to isolate it and keep practising it. When you're running through a song or a longer piece in your own practice time, it's also ok to stop and concentrate on a certain bit if it gives you trouble. But if you just stop every time you get it wrong and start again without spending the time to get better at the bit that gave you trouble, then it's not helping at all. i hope that all makes sense ? smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Feb 13 2012, 10:44 PM
Learning Roadie
So I've limited practice time this week, and I want to get the most progression I can so I've come into the Beginners tasks

As a penance to our Sensei I humbly offer a quickly put together but effective Backing Track

I wrote it so it could be looped

It's at 80 bpm

I can do it slower or faster if you'd like

I find it easier to use this than trying to count!!!!!

Sound cloud is playing up with me sad.gif

I've added as an attachment

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Feb 13 2012, 11:08 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Bushido_Beginners_Task_3.mp3 ( 391.83K ) Number of downloads: 116

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 14 2012, 10:19 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Feb 13 2012, 09:44 PM) *
So I've limited practice time this week, and I want to get the most progression I can so I've come into the Beginners tasks

As a penance to our Sensei I humbly offer a quickly put together but effective Backing Track

I wrote it so it could be looped

It's at 80 bpm

I can do it slower or faster if you'd like

I find it easier to use this than trying to count!!!!!

Sound cloud is playing up with me sad.gif

I've added as an attachment

Hey that backing track would work well with the Task. Feel free to record it over that if you like.. smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Feb 14 2012, 01:32 PM
Learning Roadie
http://soundcloud.com/mattkid/bushido-beginners-task-3-1/s-obFza

Sound Cloud now behaving itself.

I'm not sure if this is 80bpm or 160 bpm - I'm so used to Ben using 16th notes!!!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
zoom
Feb 14 2012, 01:47 PM
Learning Roadie
Ok my take at 150bpm

I recorded on reaper but when I rendered metronome didn't come through so it's just sound from webcam camera. Sorry.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Feb 14 2012, 03:28 PM
Learning Roadie
This is a great exercise to try and tame my flying fingers, it's always in descending motions it happens.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 14 2012, 07:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (zoom @ Feb 14 2012, 12:47 PM) *
Ok my take at 150bpm

I recorded on reaper but when I rendered metronome didn't come through so it's just sound from webcam camera. Sorry.

That's 100% perfect my friend.. give yourself a pat on the back. Take your donuts and eat them in a quiet corner of The Temple where no one can see you. ph34r.gif

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Feb 14 2012, 02:28 PM) *
This is a great exercise to try and tame my flying fingers, it's always in descending motions it happens.

Good.. if it's hard then it's probably a good thing to do ! smile.gif

That could be misinterpretated but I mean it in a purely guitar sense... wink.gif

+Quote Post
mad
Feb 15 2012, 11:19 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Sensei, here are two takes:

Attached File  Task3_Lick1_80bpm.mp3 ( 508.24K ) Number of downloads: 139

Attached File  Task3_Lick1_100bpm.mp3 ( 430.24K ) Number of downloads: 138

I'm getting sloppy when playing faster than 90bpm - so I'm continuing my practice-schedule with task2 and 3, master.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 15 2012, 03:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mad @ Feb 15 2012, 10:19 AM) *
Sensei, here are two takes:

Attached File  Task3_Lick1_80bpm.mp3 ( 508.24K ) Number of downloads: 139

Attached File  Task3_Lick1_100bpm.mp3 ( 430.24K ) Number of downloads: 138

I'm getting sloppy when playing faster than 90bpm - so I'm continuing my practice-schedule with task2 and 3, master.

Hail, Mad one.. wink.gif It sounds really good to me. Even though you had some slight difficulty with 100bpm, the timing and synchronisation was still 100%

Good work ! ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 16 2012, 11:52 AM
Instructor
Good morning, warriors - in - training. Today is the deadline for Task 3, so if there's anybody else who needs to sumbit a take, try to get it in today smile.gif

I'll make Task 4 available at some point during the day, but you won't know when it is so you'll have to exercise what the Japanese call Zanshin - awareness. Your opponent could strike at any moment and so could the next Task ! ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Feb 16 2012, 04:51 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Here's my take. Had to do it at 90 bpm...anything faster and it got ugly!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:34 AM