Tom Quayle
jstcrsn
Oct 6 2017, 09:30 PM
Learning Tone Master
at 10:00 I literally craped my pants

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Phil66
Oct 13 2017, 09:11 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
At 10:15, I literally crapped my pants TWICE ohmy.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 14 2017, 05:12 PM
Instructor
Yeah! He is a monster! I've seen the whole video and the talk is very interesting. They talk about how humble most of the greatest guitarists are (with obvious exceptions), about Guthrie Govan, Tommy Emmanuele, John Petrucci, and the fact that no matter how good you are, there will be always someone better.

On a similar topic, with the addition of "be yourself", I consider this talk very interesting:

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 14 2017, 05:56 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 14 2017, 06:12 PM) *
Yeah! He is a monster! I've seen the whole video and the talk is very interesting. They talk about how humble most of the greatest guitarists are (with obvious exceptions), about Guthrie Govan, Tommy Emmanuele, John Petrucci, and the fact that no matter how good you are, there will be always someone better.

I only saw parts of the video, I am not sure I agree that most great [new] guitarists are humble. Sure there is a Swedish A-hole who has shown us where the bottom is.

However I notice a lot of youtube stars who sure are polite when being interviewed (that's a bare minimum to me) - but as far as I can see many of them are sniffy towards beginners and I think I can see they feel they should be treated more like rock stars.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 14 2017, 06:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 14 2017, 01:56 PM) *
I only saw parts of the video, I am not sure I agree that most great [new] guitarists are humble. Sure there is a Swedish A-hole who has shown us where the bottom is.

However I notice a lot of youtube stars who sure are polite when being interviewed (that's a bare minimum to me) - but as far as I can see many of them are sniffy towards beginners and I think I can see they feel they should be treated more like rock stars.

yeah, I don't disagree at all. In their video they reffer to guys like Guthrie, Petrucci, Tommy Emmanuele saying that they could meet them, and that they are really nice and humble persons. I think that they were refering those those level of guitarists.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 15 2017, 11:35 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 14 2017, 07:20 PM) *
yeah, I don't disagree at all. In their video they reffer to guys like Guthrie, Petrucci, Tommy Emmanuele saying that they could meet them, and that they are really nice and humble persons. I think that they were refering those those level of guitarists.

So basically they're saying established guitarists are humble because they meet the young and promising guitarists?

I should probably watch the whole thing but at this point I can't help but feel it's got hypocrisy written all over it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 15 2017, 02:11 PM
GMC:er
Players such as Tommy Emmanuel or John Petrucci or Scott Henderson, etc., et al are not humble because "there are always younger and better players coming up". They have nothing to be concerned about regarding their gig or their place in guitar history. They're at the place they are because they are creative musically and have a unique voice (not just technically) on the instrument. They're also cognizant enough to realize that part of their 'making it' has to do with the fact that they're comfortable in their own uniqueness. They also got to and maintain that position precisely because they're not assholes. It's all circular.

There is ALWAYS 'younger/faster' looming around the corner but younger and more (or even equally) musical and creative is significantly more rarefied.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 15 2017, 02:15 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 15 2017, 07:11 PM
GMC Founder
Ken - maybe I am misinterpreting the word.

To me humble is something you strive to be, just like you want to be a sympathetic human being - it has nothing to with your musical accomplishments.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 15 2017, 11:40 PM
Yeah, but in my experience it's usually the lesser players that have the attitude, humility and ego problems. The truly great ones are humble human beings because they're comfortable with who they are (as musicians) and they've stopped competing with anyone (except maybe themselves). They were probably always humble and gracious and as I say, that quality has helped them become the great artists that they are.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 16 2017, 01:55 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 16 2017, 11:51 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 16 2017, 12:40 AM) *
Yeah, but in my experience it's usually the lesser players that have the attitude, humility and ego problems. The truly great ones are humble human beings because they're comfortable with who they are (as musicians) and they've stopped competing with anyone (except maybe themselves). They were probably always humble and gracious and as I say, that quality has helped become the great artists that they are.

Couldn't agree more! I guess it's the 'not' here that confused me:

QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 15 2017, 03:11 PM) *
Players such as Tommy Emmanuel or John Petrucci or Scott Henderson, etc., et al are not humble because "there are always younger and better players coming up".

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 16 2017, 04:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 15 2017, 07:40 PM) *
Yeah, but in my experience it's usually the lesser players that have the attitude, humility and ego problems. The truly great ones are humble human beings because they're comfortable with who they are (as musicians) and they've stopped competing with anyone (except maybe themselves). They were probably always humble and gracious and as I say, that quality has helped them become the great artists that they are.

I also agree with this and also with this:

"They're at the place they are because they are creative musically and have a unique voice (not just technically) on the instrument. They're also cognisant enough to realise that part of their 'making it' has to do with the fact that they're comfortable in their own uniqueness."

In the second video, Pete Thorn gets into this concept of "own uniqueness", and talks from his own experience about being the "best you" that you can and not feeling bad by finding new guitarists better than us every day. They also discuss about the experience of becoming a Guitar Youtuber, and how Pete organises his video tests.

This video is also related to it:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 16 2017, 08:19 PM
That's one for the inspirational video of the day in your area Gab. That man is an inspiration anyway, I love his attitude smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 17 2017, 01:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 16 2017, 04:19 PM) *
That's one for the inspirational video of the day in your area Gab. That man is an inspiration anyway, I love his attitude smile.gif

Yes, it is!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
fkalich
Oct 17 2017, 03:07 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 15 2017, 01:11 PM) *
Ken - maybe I am misinterpreting the word.

To me humble is something you strive to be, just like you want to be a sympathetic human being - it has nothing to with your musical accomplishments.

I read you. I learned the things you have spoken of recently, through the love of a woman who understands those things herself. In fact I would say that those people with the highest self esteem are the ones who are the most humble in general.

I realize that my guitar playing is only at my best when I have the mindset you describe. Technical skill yes, the more the better. But unless a person strives to a person as you describe, well one might as well listen to this as such a person.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 17 2017, 02:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (fkalich @ Oct 16 2017, 11:07 PM) *
I realize that my guitar playing is only at my best when I have the mindset you describe.

What's the mindset you are reffering too?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 20 2017, 08:24 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 17 2017, 03:52 PM) *
What's the mindset you are reffering too?

I am guessing a mindset where the goal is not to be the "best" guitarist in the world (whatever that means) but rather make music as a humble human being. Not the most concise advice but well worth considering cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 21 2017, 08:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 20 2017, 04:24 AM) *
I am guessing a mindset where the goal is not to be the "best" guitarist in the world (whatever that means) but rather make music as a humble human being. Not the most concise advice but well worth considering cool.gif

Yeah, that should be our goal as musicians. Trying to be the best one can take us nowhere because there will always be a better player (and I also wonder what does "better" mean in art?) , but it can work for practice motivation.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 21 2017, 10:03 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 17 2017, 01:51 AM) *
Yes, it is!

To clarify, I did mean THIS video. I love Rabea cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 22 2017, 01:00 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 17 2017, 01:51 AM) *
Yes, it is!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 23 2017, 02:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 21 2017, 06:03 PM) *

yeah, he has many cool and inspiring videos.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:16 PM