So Frustrated, What should i do??
bmh1109
Apr 23 2008, 02:41 AM
GMC:er
So since ive had the new rack system, ive done alot of tinkering. I enjoy the solo sounds of the voodu valve but i just can't get any really heavy distortion out of it, which i really wanted. All the metal presets suck pretty badly, and when custom making patches, which takes forever, i never get the kind of thick distortion im looking for. I know everything ive read about the voodu valve people say you can get good sounds out of it if your willing to spend alot of time messing with it.

So no that im throughly frustrated, and spend more time turning knobs on the dang thing then i do playing, im considering getting something a little easier to use like a pod x3. it can record, it is a footpedal ( which is nice because to change patches now i have to turn more knobs sad.gif ) and i can use my existing power amp for a totally trasparent way to amplify the pod for live usage. Am i crazy? or does this sound like a better idea??

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Fender MIM Strat
Amps
Mesa Studio Preamp--->Mesa 50/50--->Line 6 M13 ---> into Avatar 2x12 Cab rewired for stereo operation
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 23 2008, 02:48 AM
Learning Roadie
If the thick creamy distortion is all you're lacking, maybe try a boost or overdrive pedal? Just to push the voodu valve a little further?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
bmh1109
Apr 23 2008, 02:59 AM
QUOTE (JVM @ Apr 22 2008, 09:48 PM) *
If the thick creamy distortion is all you're lacking, maybe try a boost or overdrive pedal? Just to push the voodu valve a little further?

Just tried that and it does help some, i was a little skeptical about putting an overdrive infront of a digital preamp but it does work pretty well.

--------------------
Guitars
Amps
Mesa Studio Preamp--->Mesa 50/50--->Line 6 M13 ---> into Avatar 2x12 Cab rewired for stereo operation

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 23 2008, 03:13 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (bmh1109 @ Apr 22 2008, 09:59 PM) *
Just tried that and it does help some, i was a little skeptical about putting an overdrive infront of a digital preamp but it does work pretty well.

I find that a boost infront of a digital preamp has a huge effect. Hope you can find a setup that works for you. I can tell you for sure that the lpb-1 works great for boosting.. check out my review of it, pretty cheap too:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=6640

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Apr 23 2008, 11:01 AM
Instructor
Nice tip JVM. I don't understand why people don't use pedal in front of their rack rig...sometimes it really helps... are you happy now bmh? Give a kick to the pedal and turn up the volume of the voodu...now you rock!!!!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 23 2008, 01:17 PM
Instructor
Try SD1 - it will give you a nice creamy overdrive (middle) boost with some lose of dynamics.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
bmh1109
Apr 23 2008, 08:29 PM
yeah the overdrive definately helped making my distortion sounds a bit meaner sounding and also added some definition during lead style playing. Thanks for the tips guys

--------------------
Guitars
Amps

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 23 2008, 08:40 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (bmh1109 @ Apr 23 2008, 03:29 PM) *
yeah the overdrive definately helped making my distortion sounds a bit meaner sounding and also added some definition during lead style playing. Thanks for the tips guys

What overdrive are you using?

--------------------

+Quote Post
bsamn
Apr 26 2008, 10:45 AM
Maybe a tubescreamer?

--------------------

+Quote Post
bmh1109
Apr 26 2008, 04:22 PM
QUOTE (bsamn @ Apr 26 2008, 05:45 AM) *
Maybe a tubescreamer?

right now the only overdrive i have is a cheapish behringer tube overdrive so thats what im using

--------------------
Guitars
Amps

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:43 PM