Fender Am. Std. Will Discontinue
Mertay
Sep 20 2016, 10:51 PM
GMC:er
Rumor is they'll name them "American pro" and some parts will change.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 21 2016, 03:16 AM
They've done that before.
Around 2001 and 2002 Fender replaced the American Standard with the American 'Series'. I have one and though it looks exactly like a normal USA Strat, the body contours are slightly different and the neck is a flatter radius. Decent guitar overall.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 21 2016, 07:40 AM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Sep 21 2016, 02:16 AM) *
They've done that before.
Around 2001 and 2002 Fender replaced the American Standard with the American 'Series'. I have one and though it looks exactly like a normal USA Strat, the body contours are slightly different and the neck is a flatter radius. Decent guitar overall.

Some comment they're trying to increase the difference between the vintage spec. series for marketing reasons.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 27 2016, 10:52 AM
Instructor
It's hard to try to be an icon in guitar history and at the same time develope, and apply changes to race with the competition. In case of trademarks like Fender or Gibson it's a huge risk. Many of us goit the "I got old nad grown up for strat" factor at some point, and what we're looking for is usually something that has been approved through years. Changing something that worked for so many years is risky as hell. When Gibson published how many changes they want to apply toi new series, people (at least the ones who I know) were not excited at all! I wonder how this will affect Fender's trademark strength in the market.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 27 2016, 01:41 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Sep 27 2016, 02:52 AM) *
It's hard to try to be an icon in guitar history and at the same time develope, and apply changes to race with the competition. In case of trademarks like Fender or Gibson it's a huge risk. Many of us goit the "I got old nad grown up for strat" factor at some point, and what we're looking for is usually something that has been approved through years. Changing something that worked for so many years is risky as hell. When Gibson published how many changes they want to apply toi new series, people (at least the ones who I know) were not excited at all! I wonder how this will affect Fender's trademark strength in the market.

At this point in their history Fender is probably taking a 'bit' of a risk but Fender is also, historically, a company that famously broke with the tradition. Witness the Telecaster in 1950 or the P-bass in 1948. These were solid-body electric guitars when there was only hollow, acoustic instruments with pickups added to them prior to this. Fender is the iconoclast. Throughout it's history Fender has constantly changed it's models. Like I mentioned, in the early 2000's they changed the American Standard to American 'Series'. I don't think anybody even really noticed. In the 80's they added the 'Elite' line of teles, strats and j-basses.

*Doing a bit of research into the USA Professional (teles and strats), they seem to be guitar center/musicians friend exclusives. And this something Fender has done many times in the past - big dealer exclusives.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Sep 27 2016, 01:42 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 27 2016, 01:59 PM

Changing switches is an interesting detail...

I sort of remember sometime ago on some american models they designed the electrnics and pickups in such a way was not traditional, the guitar only exepted Fender pickups (used slots instead of soldering). Latest new thing was the card thingie that changed pickup combinations and them seems discontinued.

The strat is also replicated a lot by other brands, might also be a about isolating their guitars technologically.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 27 2016, 07:05 PM
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php...new-lower-price

they already started the deals smile.gif might be a good time to get one...

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 2 2016, 08:33 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
damn, not seen any price drops over here in the UK yet dry.gif actually part of me kinda hopes they dont drop the price here coz I'd find it tough not to buy one!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 3 2016, 01:32 PM
My advice is to get one. Now.

If the American 'Standard' is discontinued, even briefly, those models will increase in value.
If the replacement models are deemed somehow inferior (real or imagined) you can really have an investment in your hands.
If I was a shop, I would store my unsold Am. Stds. in the back, bring them out in a couple of years and advertise them as N.O.S. Fender American Standards. They'll probably go for double.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 3 2016, 06:54 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:39 AM