2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Logitech Webcam Problem
Phil66
Nov 22 2020, 09:00 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks, I'm hoping this is going to be one of those quick fixes. Hopefully it's just some setting somewhere that I've forgotten about.

After the latest Logitech Capture update my camera doesn't record any sound, I use a USB box from the headphone output of my audio interface to reduce lag, it's been working fine for a long time then the update caused it to stop recording sound, even if I try to use the built-in mic on the camera. I'm having to record in my DAW and the manually sync the audio in my video editor which I do anyway, but for quick videos for Bootcamp or just to show something without too much faff, I just use the USB box as it greatly reduces sound sync.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 23 2020, 01:59 AM
GMC:er
When you say USB BOX do you mean a second audio interface? So the signal path is

Audio interface Headphone Out > USB BOX (bit more detail) > captured to a video file with audio?

What are you using to capture your audio/vid? Whatever it is, can you set your primary interface as the audio source and have the audio and video synch up as they record?

It sounds like the update just broke the audio on your web cam. This happens. The quick fix is to uninstall the driver and go back and get the old one. Updates are always a risk to a production setup. sad.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 22 2020, 04:00 PM) *
Hello folks, I'm hoping this is going to be one of those quick fixes. Hopefully it's just some setting somewhere that I've forgotten about.

After the latest Logitech Capture update my camera doesn't record any sound, I use a USB box from the headphone output of my audio interface to reduce lag, it's been working fine for a long time then the update caused it to stop recording sound, even if I try to use the built-in mic on the camera. I'm having to record in my DAW and the manually sync the audio in my video editor which I do anyway, but for quick videos for Bootcamp or just to show something without too much faff, I just use the USB box as it greatly reduces sound sync.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 23 2020, 08:40 AM
Thanks Todd,

This is what I use https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HM5K...=UTF8&psc=1 it's only used when I want to do a quick video, you and I discussed it early last year when I wanted to do quick videos for Bootcamp and I was getting bad sound sync, in Capture I set it as the audio source and it works with hardly any lag.

The whole Capture interface is different, I used to have a little peak meter by the mic icon, that's not there now, it's just a level slider. As I said, the built in mic isn't working either. I wish I hadn't fallen for the latest update, if it ain't broke don't fix it rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 23 2020, 09:03 PM
Okay,

I know the built-in mic is working because I can test it in Windows Settings and I get a result in the meter, I can also get feedback from my monitors so it is definitely working.

The driver was a 2018 driver, I rolled it back to a 2006. Still doesn't work. In device manager with the 2006 driver it comes under the "camera" list, with the 2018 driver it is in the "imaging devices" list.

This makes me think it's the latest webcam software from Logitech, or I've inadvertently done something to make it go awry.

I completely uninstalled the camera, the driver and the Capture software. Put it all back on and it's still the same. Very strange and a time sapper for sure sad.gif

I contacted Logitech, no reply yet.

Is there any decent third party webcam software? I've tried the built-in windows one but it only lets me use the onboard laptop webcam as far as I can see.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 23 2020, 09:50 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 24 2020, 03:46 AM
I apologize if we are covering old ground here. As I remember, you have a very nice audio interface, and a handy web cam. I think you are using the logitech capture utility that lets you specify an audio source and video source to go to a movie capture? Were you getting synch problems using your main audio interface? Isn't it the scarlett? That's a great unit. Shouldn't have any synch issues. But, I'm sure you have worked out a solution that works. If it aint broke smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 23 2020, 03:40 AM) *
Thanks Todd,

This is what I use https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HM5K...=UTF8&psc=1 it's only used when I want to do a quick video, you and I discussed it early last year when I wanted to do quick videos for Bootcamp and I was getting bad sound sync, in Capture I set it as the audio source and it works with hardly any lag.

The whole Capture interface is different, I used to have a little peak meter by the mic icon, that's not there now, it's just a level slider. As I said, the built in mic isn't working either. I wish I hadn't fallen for the latest update, if it ain't broke don't fix it rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Phil

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 24 2020, 08:45 AM
You got it right with my gear buddy. I can't remember now even reading this thread where I first had an issue with sync https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...=59909&st=0 and this is one of your posts about it https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=765691.

I think I wanted a solution for when I wanted to do a quick video for QuickLicks and not have to sync the DAW audio with the video.

I don't think the Focusrite comes up in the audio device list in Logi Capture so I bought that USB audio interface to plug into one of the headphone out sockets of the 18i8 and it worked a treat.

I'm starting to think that there is something somewhere that's been changed maybe not directly related to the Logi stuff, the reason I think this? I completely removed all trace of the camera and drivers and any Logi software from computer so it was as though I'd bought a new webcam. Still the same.

One of those problems that only seems to be what I get rolleyes.gif

I always used to record the sound both in my DAW and with the USB as the source in the webcam software because in the simple Windows Movie Maker, it embeds the sound wave onto the film strip and I know how much, visually to offset the DAW audio relative to that to get to within a few tenths of a second sync.

We'll get there, it's not a major deal it's just one of those little niggles that you want to sort out even if you can do without it. It was great for quick vids.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 24 2020, 09:13 AM
Learning Rock Star
If you need another program for recording video, you could try the streaming software OBS. https://obsproject.com/da

It's probably less user-friendly, but it has a recording feature as well, so it's not only about streaming. I use it for recording videos too. It allows you to be a bit more creative with some things like audio and video sources, overlays and such.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 24 2020, 11:15 AM
Learning Roadie
Duh! I never thought of recording video using OBS so I didn't need to use Sony Vegas to add the decent audio.

Phil
I had this issue with logitech a while ago, I can't remember how I fixed it, I remember deleting drivers and the software and reinstalling so that might have sorted it.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 24 2020, 12:47 PM
Thanks Ben and Matt,

Ben, I think I tried OBS somewhere in this topic https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...=59909&st=0 I don't think I could get along with it.

Matt, I deleted everything to do with the camera, drivers, software etc, still the same. You'd think that would make it like a new camera purchase being installed.

It's a strange one that no doubt has a 5 second fix once you find out what's wrong.

Thanks for your time folks wink.gif

Stay safe

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 24 2020, 09:11 PM
Well it's recording sound but where from I don't know. If I use the USB box connected to the headphones, the built in mic in the webcam, whatever I select it's the same dry and very weak signal. Nothing is registering on the input meter in the camera software so it's picking up the sound internally from something.

I'm getting seriously hacked off now, I know I should forget it and just manually sync but I hate being beaten.

Feel like putting a hammer through the lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE:
Using the Win10 default USB Video Device driver, when I hit the strings the Logi Capture speaker meter lights up. When I record, switching the speaker icon on and off determines if it records or not but it's still completely dry and very low and makes no difference what input device I select!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE: 45 minutes live chat with Microsoft going round in circles. Everything she told me to do didn't give me the options she said it would FFS. She kept saying "Sorry if the steps do not seems to work for you. We advisors can only answer general questions and send helpful links for troubleshooting."

Think I'll just get a new camera. Anyone know of any decent ones to rival the Logitech C920?

Thanks

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 24 2020, 09:50 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 25 2020, 12:52 AM
How about the newest version?

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/web...960-001087.html

Offers wads of options and the capture utility has tons of ways to encode media at the same time.

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 24 2020, 04:11 PM) *
Well it's recording sound but where from I don't know. If I use the USB box connected to the headphones, the built in mic in the webcam, whatever I select it's the same dry and very weak signal. Nothing is registering on the input meter in the camera software so it's picking up the sound internally from something.

I'm getting seriously hacked off now, I know I should forget it and just manually sync but I hate being beaten.

Feel like putting a hammer through the lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE:
Using the Win10 default USB Video Device driver, when I hit the strings the Logi Capture speaker meter lights up. When I record, switching the speaker icon on and off determines if it records or not but it's still completely dry and very low and makes no difference what input device I select!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE: 45 minutes live chat with Microsoft going round in circles. Everything she told me to do didn't give me the options she said it would FFS. She kept saying "Sorry if the steps do not seems to work for you. We advisors can only answer general questions and send helpful links for troubleshooting."

Think I'll just get a new camera. Anyone know of any decent ones to rival the Logitech C920?

Thanks

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 25 2020, 08:26 AM
Thanks Todd,

Thing is it will use the same Capture software that I have, I was going to try a different brand but I've since found a site with previous versions of Capture https://logitech-capture.en.uptodown.com/windows/versions. Let's hope the last install didn't alter something in the registry that will cause this problem even with the older one.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 25 2020, 10:20 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 25 2020, 10:33 PM
Okay, I tried five legacy versions of Capture, including the on I installed when I got the camera. None of them worked with any audio input at all whatsoever. Three nights I've spent on it now and I know I have a workaround by manually syncing audio but I hate to have to admit defeat, even if it means reinstalling Win10 which is kinda admitting defeat but it should fix it.

The Logi Capture update must have changed something deep in the windows system I think.

How to cock up three nights of practise with one click, don't know why I allowed the update, oh well I can't turn back the clock I just hope I can say "no" next time am update is suggested.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 25 2020, 10:41 PM
How about using VLC as the capture utility? If it works then bam!
https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.en_GB.html

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 26 2020, 10:02 PM
Thanks Todd,

I've had VLC for a long time as certain files wouldn't play, I never knew it could record.

Anyway, I tried it and it threw up "Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dshow://'. Check the log for details."

I tried Windows Movie Maker "Webcam movie" and it said "Sorry, can't record from the selected device".

I tried Cyberlink YouCam 9 and it said "YouCam cannot connect to your webcam (HD Pro Webcam C920). Try selecting another capture device within settings, or close any applications that may be using this webcam and then restart YouCam.

I then tested the camera on my desktop PC and it worked fine, I even let it update to the latest version, the one that cocked up the laptop and it was fine.

I'll contact Scan who I got the laptop from tomorrow night, their tech help is open until 10pm, maybe they can help.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 26 2020, 10:36 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 27 2020, 03:44 AM
Is it possible your web cam has had some sort of failure? It happens. It's rare, but it happens. Sometimes a small spike in voltage from a usb hub can damage something attached or too little voltage can do the same. If another web cam worked and the logitech is acting up, it just might be the camera.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 26 2020, 05:02 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

I've had VLC for a long time as certain files wouldn't play, I never knew it could record.

Anyway, I tried it and it threw up "Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dshow://'. Check the log for details."

I tried Windows Movie Maker "Webcam movie" and it said "Sorry, can't record from the selected device".

I tried Cyberlink YouCam 9 and it said "YouCam cannot connect to your webcam (HD Pro Webcam C920). Try selecting another capture device within settings, or close any applications that may be using this webcam and then restart YouCam.

I then tested the camera on my desktop PC and it worked fine, I even let it update to the latest version, the one that cocked up the laptop and it was fine.

I'll contact Scan who I got the laptop from tomorrow night, their tech help is open until 10pm, maybe they can help.

Cheers

Phil

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 27 2020, 09:52 AM
Thanks Todd,

As I said above, I tried the camera on my desktop and it works fine, I even let it update to the latest Capture (the one that cocked up the laptop) and it still works fine.

To top it off, I get the same issues now with the built in webcam on the laptop so buying a new camera won't work.

Probably end up reinstalling Windows over the weekend.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 27 2020, 11:40 PM
Well,
An hour and a half with Scan accessing my computer and nothing is sorted. In the end the advisor told me to use their recovery USB stick. So thinking it would give me an image of the C: as it was when I received the computer (he said it would "be like it was when you got it") I bios booted to the memory stick and did what he said. Then I needed all the drivers, I didn't specify a ROM drive with this laptop so they saw fit to put the drivers on a CD when they shipped it rolleyes.gif . I had to put the CD into my old computer ROM drive and transfer to a USB stick which took nearly an hour. Once Win 10 was on, I tried to install the drivers. The WiFi adapter driver said "incompatible with this version of Windows" some of the other drivers said "incompatible with this chipset", it's crazy.

Oh well another few evenings going to be wasted sorting it out FFS.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 28 2020, 07:28 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 28 2020, 09:30 PM
I'm sure this can be sorted eventually. Logitech is perpetually updating the driver set since windows keeps moving the goal post. It sure makes life interesting for windows users. As there is no standard chipset/hardware, it's always a moving target. Each time windows makes and update, it risks bricking various hardware attached to any windows system. Then again, the MAC world has a similar problem in a different way. When your MAC is declared "unsupported" it stops accepting updates at some point. They just won't install at all. So you get no more security updates or anything. This forced obsolescence is part of the Apple way. So windows or mac, it a bit of shell game.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 27 2020, 06:40 PM) *
Well,
An hour and a half with Scan accessing my computer and nothing is sorted. In the end the advisor told me to use their recovery USB stick. So thinking it would give me an image of the C: as it was when I received the computer (he said it would "be like it was when you got it") I bios booted to the memory stick and did what he said. Then I needed all the drivers, I didn't specify a ROM drive with this laptop so they saw fit to put the drivers on a CD when they shipped it rolleyes.gif . I had to put the CD into my old computer ROM drive and transfer to a USB stick which took nearly an hour. Once Win 10 was on, I tried to install the drivers. The WiFi adapter driver said "incompatible with this version of Windows" some of the other drivers said "incompatible with this chipset", it's crazy.

Oh well another few evenings going to be wasted sorting it out FFS.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 29 2020, 10:42 AM
It's sorted now buddy. I downloaded the latest (October 2020) version of Windows and installed that, all the drivers from the CD went on without a problem so I don't know why some were saying "not compatible with this chipset".

It detected the camera and installed the latest version of Logi Capture and the camera works, although I've only tested it with the built in mic but I can't see why it won't work with the headphones USB interface.

It's hard to fathom what went wrong with Capture when it's working now. I can only think something went awry in the registry during the installation.

I'm still finding the chipset issue with the drivers first time around a bit strange though.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 29 2020, 07:47 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:50 AM