"the Burns"
opeth.db
Sep 29 2008, 01:46 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Lately my fretting hand is been bothering me. I have this burning sensation on top of my hand and in my forearm.
I can only maybe practice about 45 minute to an hour a night. Sometimes even less.

I started some of Jose Mena's shredding exercises and can only get about 10 minutes into it then I have to quit. Very annoying.

I hope this is normal especially now that I am doing different kind of practices than Im used to and working out different muscles.

dry.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by opeth.db: Sep 29 2008, 01:46 PM

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Daniel Robinson
Sep 29 2008, 05:03 PM
Instructor
Its hard to say if this is normal or not.

The problem being that not knowing exactly what kind of "Burning" your talking about.

An acute burning feeling in those area's could be mild symptoms of tedonitus, which can occur when starting a new excersise routine and the tendon's are not used to the load. I would say watch it very carefully and watch for any changes, make sure you really warm up well before each practice session before diving into anything really hard, and imo after your practice session stretch all the muscles from your shoulder to your fingers. Proper cooldown can help you to keep injuries low and help you recover more quickly inbetween sessions. At least this has been my observation.

Daniel

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Sep 29 2008, 05:25 PM
QUOTE (Daniel Robinson @ Sep 29 2008, 12:03 PM) *
Its hard to say if this is normal or not.

The problem being that not knowing exactly what kind of "Burning" your talking about.

An acute burning feeling in those area's could be mild symptoms of tedonitus, which can occur when starting a new excersise routine and the tendon's are not used to the load. I would say watch it very carefully and watch for any changes, make sure you really warm up well before each practice session before diving into anything really hard, and imo after your practice session stretch all the muscles from your shoulder to your fingers. Proper cooldown can help you to keep injuries low and help you recover more quickly inbetween sessions. At least this has been my observation.

Daniel

Thank you for the tip Dan. I guess the burning is more of a constant soreness thats sitting on top of my hand mostly.

Something I do not do is do any stretching or cool down exercises before or after I start to play.
I will look for some routines to do before I start.

Dan

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Mitchell Acoustic
Line 6 MKII

My Site
www.shredwork.com

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 29 2008, 05:32 PM
Lets go fishing!
Do you "warm up" first? by which i mean practice something slow for half an hour first, like phrasing and improvisation. The reason I ask is that when i first started i went straight into shredding exercises and i too got burning and hand craps. I soon realise this was due to the fact i didnt spend time warming up so to speak.smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Sep 29 2008, 05:40 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Sep 29 2008, 12:32 PM) *
Do you "warm up" first? by which i mean practice something slow for half an hour first, like phrasing and improvisation. The reason I ask is that when i first started i went straight into shredding exercises and i too got burning and hand craps. I soon realise this was due to the fact i didnt spend time warming up so to speak.smile.gif

I do not warm up first. I go straight to the lesson at hand.

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Mitchell Acoustic
Line 6 MKII

My Site
www.shredwork.com

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 29 2008, 05:40 PM
GMC:er
Im starting to have that to, and It just doesnt feel right. But I think mines a lil different. Ill just grab a cup with my fretting hand or anything, and ill get a slight minor pain in my tendons, and around the my knuckles sort of. Its hard to explain through words, easier to show.

I think, my knuckle problem though is, im double-jointed there where my tendons are. I can move my tendons or w/e, off my knuckles to the side. I catch myself doing that sometimes lol, and it hurts after a while.

Also, try not only stretching afterwards but do some stretching warm-ups on the guitar. And try just stretching some before hand to. Stretching is very important.

This post has been edited by Ryan: Sep 29 2008, 05:47 PM

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
jer
Sep 29 2008, 06:00 PM
I thought you did the stretching exercises from Petrucci's "Rock Discipline" dvd?

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Bedlam
Sep 29 2008, 06:03 PM
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Sep 29 2008, 11:40 AM) *

I have to say from experience that you should always warm up first. I used to go straight into shred mode, but learned the hard way... It helps you prevent injury and really improves your playing. I suggest you check out Marcus' warming up lesson, it is very good.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-marcus-siepen/

For the mean time, I would say take it easy for a couple of days.

Good luck

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Sep 29 2008, 06:06 PM
QUOTE (jer @ Sep 29 2008, 01:00 PM) *
I thought you did the stretching exercises from Petrucci's "Rock Discipline" dvd?

I don't. I always forget to do this when I start to play.
I remember to stretch after Im done. dry.gif

@ Bedlam
Thanks man. I need to work this into my routine.

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Mitchell Acoustic
Line 6 MKII

My Site
www.shredwork.com

+Quote Post
Bedlam
Sep 29 2008, 06:08 PM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Sep 29 2008, 11:40 AM) *
I think, my knuckle problem though is, im double-jointed there where my tendons are. I can move my tendons or w/e, off my knuckles to the side.

Have you always been able to do this? My tendons started sliding off to the side on the knuckle of my middle finger and I had to have surgery to repare this. They would slide off to the side just by making a fist...

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 29 2008, 06:11 PM
QUOTE (Bedlam @ Sep 29 2008, 12:08 PM) *
Have you always been able to do this? My tendons started sliding off to the side on the knuckle of my middle finger and I had to have surgery to repare this. They would slide off to the side just by making a fist...

Yeah, biggrin.gif It has always freaked people out, I cant do it while my hand is straight, but it doesnt have to be a fist either. They stay in place till i move them myself, here Ill post a picture or something, maybe a video give me a sec. Its actually kinda cool.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 29 2008, 06:47 PM
This is what Im talking about Bedlam, is it bad?

Edit: Sorry it came from a camera, and I didnt know how to change the extension, but it does work in Windows Media Player, i alrdy did that on mine to make sure it would work.

This post has been edited by Ryan: Sep 29 2008, 06:48 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  P1030071.MOV ( 17.77MB ) Number of downloads: 131

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 29 2008, 06:49 PM
Instructor
Before attempting to play anything fast shred or new in general warm up using technical exercises of all kinds using METRONOME.

This includes Alternate , Legato , Sweep , Tapping and all other right+left hand techniques.

Determine whats your max speed that you can play 16th notes using metronome . If its 120bpm for example then start by practicing HALF SPEED from that meaning 60bpm. Do all your exercises at that tempo for couple of minutes (2-3 minutes not more for each exercise/lick/sequence/solo) and then move the tempos by 8-10 bpm (beats per minute).
After 30-45 minutes you will be properly warmed up, your hands will be in full coordination and you will not any injuries /tendonitis pain etc.

On side note I've seen lot of hard working and talented guitar players go to waste because of overdoing the practicing part and not warming up properly.
My personal advice is work on technique , that's important to have , but spend more time creating melodies/riffs/full songs and getting your style down rather than playing exercises and sequences - this is just very predictable and not as interesting in my opinion.

Hope this helped you guys.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Sep 29 2008, 06:53 PM
Instructor
I think I know what you are talking about opeth, it happens to me from time to time, it is like a strange cold/hot sensation, I get it in the back of my hand when I have played for too long like say, 2 or 3 days for 4-5 hours, the problem does not go away if I keep playing, I can feel it even when I use the keyboard.

At this point stop for a few days if you can, I avoid playing and try doing something else, if I have to play for a show or something like that, I will not shred, most likely shredding is not necessary for the type of music I play live with my brother. But best advice is stop playing for some time and come back to it, you do not want to get tendinitis or something like that.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 29 2008, 06:55 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
You should not really be surprised if you do some serious practicing without warming up. Warm ups are VERY important, no matter what you are going to practice, you should definitely make this part of your daily routine, otherwise your problems might get worse.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 29 2008, 07:45 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Sep 29 2008, 05:40 PM) *

Well this is most probably the issue, and should not be difficult to deal with. As everyone has now mention, you simply must warm up before you start smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Letsrock
Sep 29 2008, 08:23 PM
Forearm pain sounds pretty common. I am new to the guitar and I have been pushing my self too hard with hind sight. I have developed a pain down my forearm on the inside when I angle my hand up to get my fingers in front of the fret board. As soon as I push with my fingers I get a cramp feeling in my forearm.

I have figured that I have been pushing my forearm tendons to much. I have decided to use some light weights to do forearm curls to develop my strength. I am practicing moving between chords as in Beginner Strumming and Arpeggios by Muris without apply much pressure.

Does this sound sensible and is there any other advice?

Thanks

Letsrock.

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Sep 29 2008, 08:31 PM
@ Jose, Pedja and Marcus

Thanks a lot for your opinions. They are well noted and will be taking a few days off.
As masters of your craft I do respect it a lot.

Ya know something. I think it maybe be a pride thing. Playing for many years Im still at the point where I don't want to admit to myself I need to start over. I want to be at the level you guys are at so desperately. But I also want to do it correctly and not hurt myself.

But after this thread and your comments I will take note.

Thanks!
Dan

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Mitchell Acoustic
Line 6 MKII

My Site
www.shredwork.com

+Quote Post
Letsrock
Sep 29 2008, 08:38 PM
Sorry Opeth,

I'm pretty new to forums, threads and what not. It looks to me like I should have added my own topic for my own question and not asked on yours.

Its the same as butting in on someone's conversation and taking over and I hate when someone does that to me in person.

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Sep 29 2008, 08:46 PM
QUOTE (Letsrock @ Sep 29 2008, 03:38 PM) *
Sorry Opeth,

I'm pretty new to forums, threads and what not. It looks to me like I should have added my own topic for my own question and not asked on yours.

Its the same as butting in on someone's conversation and taking over and I hate when someone does that to me in person.

Not a big deal my friend. You had something to add to the conversation about working out.

BTW, Welcome to the forums smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Mitchell Acoustic
Line 6 MKII

My Site
www.shredwork.com

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:22 PM