Tone
Phil66
Aug 7 2016, 10:06 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks,

Ok, this isn't one of those epic tones but I'd like a clue as to what effects are on there. I'm guessing tremolo but I can't find anything. Mainly because I don't have the time to go through everything on my GT100 at the moment so a pointer in the right direction would be nice. It just the simple guitar that you can hear in the first 5 seconds, it goes all the way through but it's on its own at the beginning, also amp settings, very mild drive? not much treble?

Thanks folks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 7 2016, 11:47 AM
GMC:er
Sounds nice, I'd guess its a vintage fender type amp thicker eq'd on the drive channel but the drive really low.

There's something called a rotary (some say leslie) effect thats although similar sounding to tremolo, it does the job in a more coloring (warmer) way. My guess is thats the key ingredient smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Aug 7 2016, 11:47 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 7 2016, 01:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
Sounds like rotary to me too. Other than that I don't have a clue!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 7 2016, 02:02 PM
Yeah it is a nice relaxed sound that guitar. I saw them live last year, the original guitarist of 20 years left in 2014 and now Jesse Wood (son of Ronnie) plays with them, he nailed that tone live smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 7 2016, 05:00 PM
Yeah, 'rotary speaker' or 'uni-vibe'.
Even a phaser set fast can get close.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 7 2016, 05:11 PM
Thanks folks,
I love everything about that sound for its dreamy quality, not just the quivering effect. I can imagine sitting on a river bank on a summer's day noodling with that tone. Need to get the tab.

By the way, good to see you back Ken smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 7 2016, 06:42 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 7 2016, 09:11 AM) *
Thanks folks,
I love everything about that sound for its dreamy quality, not just the quivering effect. I can imagine sitting on a river bank on a summer's day noodling with that tone. Need to get the tab.

By the way, good to see you back Ken smile.gif

Thanks. I was out of town for almost two months (work and play).

The tone in question is a less dramatic version of Kim Thayill's (Soundgarden) tone on 'Black Hole Sun'.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 7 2016, 08:35 PM
Love Black Hole Sun. I think with the Reef thing it's the whole thing, the sound, the effects and the lick itself all combine and work in harmony.
Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 7 2016, 10:14 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
its a great tone for sure. Reef have some great riffs and tones.
The riff for 'Naked' is a monster!
Man, I love that riff biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by bleez: Aug 7 2016, 10:14 PM

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 7 2016, 11:12 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 7 2016, 10:14 PM) *
its a great tone for sure. Reef have some great riffs and tones.
The riff for 'Naked' is a monster!
Man, I love that riff biggrin.gif

Post it please mate, I'm not familiar with it wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 8 2016, 08:24 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 8 2016, 05:15 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 7 2016, 11:12 PM) *
Post it please mate, I'm not familiar with it wink.gif

huh.gif
I dont think you've not heard this tongue.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyKGokhcQJ8

* I was gonna post a vid of me playing the riff instead but I kept screwing up the end of it rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 8 2016, 06:02 PM
Ah yeah, just doesn't recognise the title rolleyes.gif I'm thinking about getting their entire back catalogue now cool.gif
Cheers buddy

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 10 2016, 08:32 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 8 2016, 06:02 PM) *
Ah yeah, just doesn't recognise the title rolleyes.gif I'm thinking about getting their entire back catalogue now cool.gif
Cheers buddy

biggrin.gif
they do have a healthy back catalogue for sure.
Ive always like the guitar tone he used in 'Place your hands', that sounds sooo good. I'd like to think he recorded it using that stunning amber les paul he plays in the video smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 10 2016, 01:29 PM
Love the opening riff to place your hands. So snappy smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:24 PM