Sd Killing Floor Pedal
Roadside
Aug 30 2016, 09:37 PM
GMC:er
hey hey GMC,

I am wondering if anyone has experiences with this pedal.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/pedal/killing-floor

Searching something to boost gain/ overdrive for my tiny terror 15 w combo since I love the clean sound but i m quite unhappy with the gain.

Also got an old metal zone, but that distortion is too "digital", too aggressive to me.

Any other suggestions?

Looking for a sound similar to NicK johnston sounds

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 30 2016, 10:32 PM
QUOTE (Roadside @ Aug 30 2016, 08:37 PM) *

Its very new and won't be easy to find enough info on it yet. But I use something very similar to it, an ibanez bb9 but that pedal doesn't have a high-boost. I use it to boost a mt2 biggrin.gif

checked 1-2 songs of nick johnson, seems he's using pretty strong overdrive without much bass going on. I'd guess either you can get the killing floor+swap your mt2 with a ds1 (on orange clean channel) or just use a boss od1x with slight drive with the amp.

I must say the amp tone+single coil brightness is very critical with that guy, with an orange amp don't aim to be very close.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Aug 30 2016, 10:38 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roadside
Aug 30 2016, 11:39 PM
Will not. It's not to imitate. I will be in US for vacation from next week on. I will test one of these on an orange over there! smile.gif

You still think I would need a DS1 + such a bluesy distortion pedal i.e.killing floor?

insufficient distortion with that pedal only?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 31 2016, 06:19 AM
Well, the KILLING FLOOR is a "boost/overdrive" It is NOT a distortion pedal. These are two very different things smile.gif The purpose of a pedal like this is usually to drive a tube head and tighten up the sound to keep it from getting to boomy/flubby/woofy. If you plan to use your amp distortion, this would work well for boost during a lead passage.

If you are running a clean amp and using only pedals for your fx, then you may need a distortion pedal as well, or something else to add gain as you may not get enough just from this depending on the sound you want. If you just want a blues vibe, this peal will do the trick smile.gif Much more than that and you need an actual distortion pedal, or the distortion from your amp/head/combo whatever you have smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Roadside @ Aug 30 2016, 06:39 PM) *
Will not. It's not to imitate. I will be in US for vacation from next week on. I will test one of these on an orange over there! smile.gif

You still think I would need a DS1 + such a bluesy distortion pedal i.e.killing floor?

insufficient distortion with that pedal only?

+Quote Post
Roadside
Aug 31 2016, 08:25 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 31 2016, 07:19 AM) *
Well, the KILLING FLOOR is a "boost/overdrive" It is NOT a distortion pedal. These are two very different things smile.gif The purpose of a pedal like this is usually to drive a tube head and tighten up the sound to keep it from getting to boomy/flubby/woofy. If you plan to use your amp distortion, this would work well for boost during a lead passage.

If you are running a clean amp and using only pedals for your fx, then you may need a distortion pedal as well, or something else to add gain as you may not get enough just from this depending on the sound you want. If you just want a blues vibe, this peal will do the trick smile.gif Much more than that and you need an actual distortion pedal, or the distortion from your amp/head/combo whatever you have smile.gif

Todd

Thanks, Todd! Understood. As I also need an EQ since my combo has no built-in EQ, I stumbled across this - as well SD - gain stage with built in EQ.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/pedal/palladium

Would you think it is a good option to add with the other pedal? I will probably be able to test it tmrw.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 31 2016, 08:54 AM
QUOTE (Roadside @ Aug 31 2016, 07:25 AM) *

Todd explained nicely, pedals like palladium are usually ment for the fx send/return (bypassing the input of the amp) to transform the amp into something else but yeah it should also work on the clean channel.

Brands you can check out for such amp pedals are SD, wampler (bigger pedals), mesaboogie (bigger pedals), bogner (ecstasy stuff), tech 21 character or fly5 series. There are many demos on youtube to get some idea of what they do.

But keep in mind if you don't feel comfortable with what to choose, for the same price of such pedals you can also get a really nice processor too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 31 2016, 10:49 PM
Mertay brings up a really good point. For the price of the pedals you are thinking of, you could get a processor that will do everything the pedals do and more. As a bonus, you don't have to tap dance on your pedals to turn two off and one on for a given tone. I'm still a fan of the Eleven Rack which runs about $300 used. The price of a couple of decent pedals. It's also a recording interface. Even cheaper is the Digitech GNX4 which also has usb for recording.

The palladium is a very nice pedal to be sure. Not cheap. The pedal costs the same as a used 11 rack and has no fx (chorus/delay/parametric eq/reverb/compressor/noise gate) all of which you'd have to buy as separate pedals.

IF you have the money, the AXE FX is a great option. Even the very first axe fx ever built is still a great unit. But costs around $1,000 used.

Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 31 2016, 03:54 AM) *
Todd explained nicely, pedals like palladium are usually ment for the fx send/return (bypassing the input of the amp) to transform the amp into something else but yeah it should also work on the clean channel.

Brands you can check out for such amp pedals are SD, wampler (bigger pedals), mesaboogie (bigger pedals), bogner (ecstasy stuff), tech 21 character or fly5 series. There are many demos on youtube to get some idea of what they do.

But keep in mind if you don't feel comfortable with what to choose, for the same price of such pedals you can also get a really nice processor too.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:07 PM