4*10 = Overkill?
mhskeide
Jun 5 2009, 09:22 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
I have another topic going on, but I felt that this deserved it`s own discussion.

What do you people think about 4*10/12 cabs? It looks killer on stage, but It`s barely space enough on the pub-stages I`m currently playing on... and I`m not sure if I`m able to fit the cab in my car (ford fiesta) when going to a gig tongue.gif

What do you guys think and have do you move your rigs?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jun 5 2009, 09:26 AM
Instructor
I had similar problems.... and I bought Skoda Fabia Combi laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jun 5 2009, 09:29 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Jun 5 2009, 10:26 AM) *

How did you solve your problem smile.gif ? Or did you solve it by buying the Skoda? I see on pics that it offers some more space than my poor fiesta tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jun 5 2009, 10:09 AM
Instructor
Hell yeah, i m serious !! if you wanna deep sound , must spend some extra money for transport wink.gif
Ok, that's cool cabinet, but don't fits at every stage as you said . think about some smaller cab, 2x10,or2x12..

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 5 2009, 10:14 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
4X12 is just great. I used to have a full 4x10 stack but traded it in for a 4x12 since the 4x10 (or 8x10) lacked bottom end and punch.
2x12 will be quite enough though, 4x12 may be a tad over the top... but so cool. wink.gif

When we play we rent a truck for all the gear, pick everything up from the rehearsal room and 2-3 of us go to the gig in it to start unpacking. The remaining two have to take the tube laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jun 5 2009, 01:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Jun 5 2009, 09:26 AM) *

hahaha that's a good one. Maybe that combi has 4x4 for bad weather conditions smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jun 5 2009, 01:11 PM
GMC:er
I use two 2x12's!! Easier for transport!!! wink.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 5 2009, 01:14 PM
Learning Tone Master
Are you talking about bass cabs or guitar cabs?

Guitar cabs should have 12'' speakers, they are the best for the guitar's sound. A 2x12 cab is more than enough for all kinds of gigs, a 4x12 looks better, gives you more low end and better overall sound but it's not neccessary...

If you're talking about bass cabs then you will NEED 4x10 or a 1x15 cab, otherwise you won't be able to move enough air to make your bass be heard. The ideal stack for bass would be a 1x15 cab for the low end and a 4x10 cab on top for the faster, higher tones but that's overkill in size and weight.

A 4x10 is perfect imho if it's built solid (gives you enough low end) but a solid cab is heavy; they are not as big as you might think but they are heavier than 4x12 guitar cabs!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 5 2009, 01:18 PM
Instructor
4x12 cab is good but for practical reasons you can possibly consider 2x12. Its optimal in most situations. Just see what suits you best of course. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jun 5 2009, 04:17 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
In this case I`m talking about bass cabs. I will buy a new guitar amp within the year, but I`m thinking of a Engl combo or Marshall JVM combo, since it will be used in my bedroom 90% of the time tongue.gif

And since I`m not a particularly techniqual bass player, it won`t be played too much solos or high notes, I`ll usually stick to driving bass with some groovy lines wink.gif
So maybe the 1*15" is the thing for me blink.gif , either that or 2*10/12 smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 5 2009, 05:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Jun 5 2009, 10:26 AM) *

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 5 2009, 05:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Jun 5 2009, 05:17 PM) *
In this case I`m talking about bass cabs. I will buy a new guitar amp within the year, but I`m thinking of a Engl combo or Marshall JVM combo, since it will be used in my bedroom 90% of the time tongue.gif

And since I`m not a particularly techniqual bass player, it won`t be played too much solos or high notes, I`ll usually stick to driving bass with some groovy lines wink.gif
So maybe the 1*15" is the thing for me blink.gif , either that or 2*10/12 smile.gif

1x15 is cool, specially with horn for highs, it'll work.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:53 PM