4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Ibanez Help
Todd Simpson
Jul 11 2014, 11:57 PM
GMC:er
Well thanks!! I agree!! I think they should throw me a bone for being such fan boy/preacher for the Ibby brand for sooooo freaking long!!!!!! smile.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 10 2014, 05:53 PM) *
Indeed! Todd basically sold me on my ibanez smile.gif theres no way I would have entertained the thought of getting such a guitar without T-Dawg raving about them!

Hey Spock , have you fired this bad boy up yet? it looks very nice indeed smile.gif
I'm curious on how you find it and if you think it needs any setting up.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spock
Jul 12 2014, 12:37 AM

@ Mertay: Indeed man, i never read the instructions for the 5" speakers, but I just tinkered with the 2 knobs on the back, but there are 3 on the back of these - and I'll have to do something to make the overall sound a little brighter.

@ Todd: I'm not sure how something like an endorsement is done, but I can guarantee you sold 2 Ibanez' to me and Bleez. And SpaceMonkey had something to do with it too. But I would be happy to suggest or endorse an endorsement. A major aspect of it was the few times I've been able to join your video chats - those are such a great tool and I wish more often some were done when I am not at work - but I understand this is mostly European so it's just the way it is with the time zones.

But I have to say, PRS and Ibanez are my favorite guitars - and worlds apart in the way they feel.

To me, PRS is fun for slamming, Drop D stuff, and Ibanez for stuff where you need to be able to throw your fingers around a little more and the guitar offer some forgiveness. My sausages won't squeeze together easily for certain chords and my natural finger spread is a little wider than what feels comfortable above the 12th fret on PRS for some solos (which I am attempting to pick out) as opposed to what I would write on one (to make it comfortable).

The scale size may be the same, I'm not really sure, but maybe it's the frets - regardless, it is very evident with both the Ibanez and the Jackson, as compared to the PRS / Les Paul types of necks, there seems to be more spread and a different maneuverability about the neck - not better - just different. So for me, it definitely a "feel thing" for what sort of something gets played on which instrument.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 12 2014, 06:00 AM
I've probably sold wads of them by now smile.gif THOSE GUYS OWE ME A GUITAR BY GOLLY!!! smile.gif

It's all good though. I"m just a huge ibby fanboy trying to spread the love!!!

You pretty much nailed it on the FEEL thing!! I"ve owned Les Paul type guitars believe it or not smile.gif Actually prefer them for some four finger tapping bits. But yeah they are a different beast entirely and each guitar does actually shape the way you play!!! Just due to how it's built and what it encourages or discourages your fingers from doing.

QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 11 2014, 07:37 PM) *
@ Mertay: Indeed man, i never read the instructions for the 5" speakers, but I just tinkered with the 2 knobs on the back, but there are 3 on the back of these - and I'll have to do something to make the overall sound a little brighter.

@ Todd: I'm not sure how something like an endorsement is done, but I can guarantee you sold 2 Ibanez' to me and Bleez. And SpaceMonkey had something to do with it too. But I would be happy to suggest or endorse an endorsement. A major aspect of it was the few times I've been able to join your video chats - those are such a great tool and I wish more often some were done when I am not at work - but I understand this is mostly European so it's just the way it is with the time zones.

But I have to say, PRS and Ibanez are my favorite guitars - and worlds apart in the way they feel.

To me, PRS is fun for slamming, Drop D stuff, and Ibanez for stuff where you need to be able to throw your fingers around a little more and the guitar offer some forgiveness. My sausages won't squeeze together easily for certain chords and my natural finger spread is a little wider than what feels comfortable above the 12th fret on PRS for some solos (which I am attempting to pick out) as opposed to what I would write on one (to make it comfortable).

The scale size may be the same, I'm not really sure, but maybe it's the frets - regardless, it is very evident with both the Ibanez and the Jackson, as compared to the PRS / Les Paul types of necks, there seems to be more spread and a different maneuverability about the neck - not better - just different. So for me, it definitely a "feel thing" for what sort of something gets played on which instrument.

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jul 12 2014, 11:10 AM
Oh! Also if you don't like how the trem itself reacts take the ZPS system out of it. Then you can do flutters and everything else just like a floating trem.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 12 2014, 03:47 PM
QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 11 2014, 11:30 AM) *
The pickups are clean, not as hot as most everything else I own.

I actually quite like the Ibby Infinity pickups, although if you want something passive that will handle almost everything except super hi-gain stuff you could do worse than swap them for a Seymour Duncan JB Jr/Jazz combo (Jazz in the Neck ) That is what I have in my RG with a Dimarzio Evolution (Steve Vai) Single in the middle.

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jul 12 2014, 06:24 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jul 12 2014, 02:10 AM) *
Oh! Also if you don't like how the trem itself reacts take the ZPS system out of it. Then you can do flutters and everything else just like a floating trem.

+1. I did this to my S series, I didn't like how the trem felt with those extra springs. It seemed like as the bar was depressed, there was more resistance the further you depressed it. Now it feels more like my original Floyd. From what I understand about this system, those extra helper springs are supposed to keep the guitar in tune if you break a string , but it doesn't work in my experience.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Jul 12 2014, 06:32 PM

+Quote Post
Spock
Jul 12 2014, 06:48 PM
I've actually been messing around with flutters on this guitar, to be honest, I had never heard of them until like - a month ago when looking into Ibanez trem system. A great and interesting accent to add - it's simple too, with the whammy bar sort of tight so you can position it back.

S-Jones: Good advice, I've wondered what I would want to replace any of these pickups with, right now I am happy with them but that usually changes after around a month - hope not this time though. Like on the SE PRS, at first I really loved the pups but then realized they sounded muddy up top - so I'm going to replace those with the ones I took out of the other PRS which are brighter and still passive.

This post has been edited by Spock: Jul 12 2014, 06:48 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 13 2014, 07:01 PM
The pups in that particular ibby are some of the best ibby puts in but if they don't tickle your fancy, there are WADS of options these days now that Boutique Passives are all the rage!! I love them myself wink.gif I have a set from a small shop in L.A. called HOMEWRECKER in my RAZORBACK. It's basically one guy who hand winds everything himself. Sorta what bareknuckle started out being. Not to say BK pups aren't still spiff, they are smile.gif Duncans are spiff too and they aren't hand made either.

The BK JUGGERNAUT or "JUGGS" are the big deal at the moment and the pups from Misha in periphery. I gotta say, I like em! Nice detail and lots gain but not mushy or fizzy. Alnico mags which is a must IMHO. Also the ALTERNATIVE 8 from Seymour Duncan which is very hot for a passive and also very detailed. I put one in my GUNSLINGER and it really turned it in to a beasty. Plenty of gain but not mushy or overpowered.

Everyone has their faves though smile.gif

QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 12 2014, 01:48 PM) *
I've actually been messing around with flutters on this guitar, to be honest, I had never heard of them until like - a month ago when looking into Ibanez trem system. A great and interesting accent to add - it's simple too, with the whammy bar sort of tight so you can position it back.

S-Jones: Good advice, I've wondered what I would want to replace any of these pickups with, right now I am happy with them but that usually changes after around a month - hope not this time though. Like on the SE PRS, at first I really loved the pups but then realized they sounded muddy up top - so I'm going to replace those with the ones I took out of the other PRS which are brighter and still passive.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 14 2014, 03:22 PM
QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 12 2014, 06:48 PM) *

No worries mate!
Start a thread when you come to a decision about swapping them and you'll get a load of suggestions and links from us!
smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:20 AM