3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Velvet Roger - Mtp Thread
Velvet Roger
Jan 7 2009, 11:28 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Ben, welcome to our MTP thread smile.gif

I must say that I am glad to be matched up with you, as I already followed your good progress during the pilot MTP program together with Kris, Andrew and Smells. This is certainly a good ground to move forward on the path to learn more and more facets of guitar playing. Hopefully you are ok with me being matched up to you as well of course, otherwise please let me know smile.gif

I would like to continue on the same basis as before, therefore giving you an assignment each week (starting later this week), giving you homework, followed by an upload of you showing the homework.

The first assignments will of course continue from your blues improvisation (6th assignment of Kris), and I would like to have a good mix of important exercises together with some solo's/rhythm licks in order to keep it interesting over the weeks to come (and I am sure the syllabus will be of great help in that as well).

Please let me know any preferences what you would like to focus on, so we can make the assignments a bit more custom-made for you smile.gif

It would be nice if you could reply to this first post, so I know that you found your way into this thread and then we can start of soonish with the first assignment.

Looking forward to it !!!!

ps please just call me Roger, the whole Velvet in front of it was 5 seconds of no-thinking when signing up tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Jan 7 2009, 11:33 PM

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jan 8 2009, 01:51 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I am here bro and can't wait to get started! I completely understand about the Velvet thing...if I had understood how much our account name would become our online name...I would have just chosen Ben!

I love playing metal...but even more so the blues. I have a strat with Texas Specials...and an Ibanez with EMG 81/85's Two completely different guitars for the two completely different musical interests I have! I loved the course my training was going in the Pilot program and would be thrilled to continue along the same path. I also would like to get a better understanding of music theory and music knowledge in general, as I don't understand any of it!

Let's light this candle!

Ben

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 8 2009, 12:12 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Great that you found your way here smile.gif

I have two additional questions at this moment.

First one is about your current knowledge of theory. You mentioned several times in the practice agenda of Kris during the pilot program that you have a very limited knowledge of theory and I was wondering whether you browsed e.g. Andrew's theory lessons board since then and gained some addition theory knowledge.

Maybe you can give me some pointers what you do understand and at what point things become unclear smile.gif , so I can focus my approach a bit better towards your theory level.

Second question is regarding the lessons you have already done at GMC, could you give me an overview (besides the onces in the pilot MTP program)?

Most other questions I have, are already answered mainly in the previous pilot program (like how much you play etc), so am looking forward to get started as soon as possible smile.gif

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Jan 8 2009, 12:31 PM

--------------------

Guitars & Amps
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 8 2009, 01:53 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Assignment #1

Lesson
Although we did not receive our syllabus yet, I would like to get started as soon as possible (and you are probably very eager to get started as well smile.gif , and I thought it would be nice to start off with a lesson which contains a couple for nice techniques which spice up your solo playing a lot over time (vibrato and slides in particular). I have picked the melodic solo in Gm lesson of Carlos Carillo. Note that the solo is also useful to practice a bit your alternate picking.

For now, I would like you to focus mainly on getting the timing of the notes right and try to get nice and smooth slides. Please use alternate picking at the places where it is indicated.

As always practice slowly to get used to the solo, learn the notes and then after that increase speed gradually. Try to focus on making the solo as much melodic as you can (speed is a secondary goal).

Vibrato is really giving the solo more 'feeling', which ultimately is essential for a solo like this to really rock, but for now that is a secondary goal.

We will certainly focus a bit more on the theory part of this assignment and other assignments in the near future (after you gave me some insight in what you already know), but for now please look closely whilst learning the licks what notes you are actually playing (always useful to do).

Deadline
Please try to work your way through the solo (at least until 0:38 in the video, or completely if you that's possible) and try to record a take at a speed that is comfortable to you by the 15th of January if possible. Of course you may certainly post any progress or questions/comments earlier on (I would even encourage that).

Excercises
I have also an alternate picking exercise for you in mind [/size][/size](that you can do each day for a longer period)[size=3][size=2], but I would rather like to wait until we get our syllabus, as probably that will have some good suggestions for that as well.

Any other business
Finally, if you would appreciate it, I would like to start also with a 1/2 hour or so chat session once weekly to chat about your progress, and have a possibility for you to ask some questions 'real-time'. I would prefer such a session e.g. each Saturday at e.g. 22:00 CET which is 16:00 EST I guess. What do you think about that? We could use chat room 2 in the chat functionality of this forum for that.

Anyways, thanks for answering my questions in the previous post, and good luck with your 1st assignment (in case you already done the solo yourself, could you please post a video as soon as possible, so we can continue as soon as possible with new stuff smile.gif )

Speak to you soon!

Roger

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Jan 8 2009, 01:57 PM

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jan 8 2009, 02:16 PM
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Jan 8 2009, 06:12 AM) *
Great that you found your way here smile.gif

I have two additional questions at this moment.

First one is about your current knowledge of theory. You mentioned several times in the practice agenda of Kris during the pilot program that you have a very limited knowledge of theory and I was wondering whether you browsed e.g. Andrew's theory lessons board since then and gained some addition theory knowledge.

Maybe you can give me some pointers what you do understand and at what point things become unclear smile.gif , so I can focus my approach a bit better towards your theory level.

Second question is regarding the lessons you have already done at GMC, could you give me an overview (besides the onces in the pilot MTP program)?

Most other questions I have, are already answered mainly in the previous pilot program (like how much you play etc), so am looking forward to get started as soon as possible smile.gif

Sure thing Roger! I have read through some of Andrew's theory lessons. I understand about the same notes being in different octaves, but still don't have a grasp about modes, boxes etc.

As far as lessons, I stick to beginner level lessons by Ivan, Muris and Trond mostly. Also, the three John Frusciante lessons by Gabriel. Especially Muris' lessons though...his beginner lessons still sound like I am playing a song, but are possible for me to play. I have tried some other lessons as well that are targeted towards beginners, but still have some trouble with some spots.

I would also like to get better at chords. The only chords experience I have is from the first pilot program lesson Strumming and Arpeggios...which was the lesson I had the most trouble with by the way!

Hope this helps!

Great! Thanks for the quick assignment Roger! I will get going on it as soon as possible. I haven't tried this lesson yet, so it will be new material for me! A chat session sounds awesome! Any night would be fine...but we are in some pretty different time zones!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 8 2009, 02:30 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jan 8 2009, 02:16 PM) *
Sure thing Roger! I have read through some of Andrew's theory lessons. I understand about the same notes being in different octaves, but still don't have a grasp about modes, boxes etc.

As far as lessons, I stick to beginner level lessons by Ivan, Muris and Trond mostly. Also, the three John Frusciante lessons by Gabriel. Especially Muris' lessons though...his beginner lessons still sound like I am playing a song, but are possible for me to play. I have tried some other lessons as well that are targeted towards beginners, but still have some trouble with some spots.

I would also like to get better at chords. The only chords experience I have is from the first pilot program lesson Strumming and Arpeggios...which was the lesson I had the most trouble with by the way!

Hope this helps!

Great! Thanks for the quick assignment Roger! I will get going on it as soon as possible. I haven't tried this lesson yet, so it will be new material for me! A chat session sounds awesome! Any night would be fine...but we are in some pretty different time zones!

Excellent, this really helps a lot in finetuning what a good approach for the near future would be smile.gif

I am currently finalizing a new Student Instructor Lesson on chords, which may be suitable for you to do (hopefully I can record the video's tonight, otherwise it will be Saturday), however it contains quite a bit of theory, but the exercises are still useful I think, even if the theory is a bit difficult.

I know exactly what you mean regarding the solo lessons of Muris, they are all awesome and quite melodic. With the first assignment I would to see how far you are at certain techniques at the moment, and it may or may not be difficult for you to master that solo, but based on the experiences you have (please let me know your progress in the meantime) we can take of more focussed after that smile.gif

Good luck mate !

edit: Since the syllabus is up now I would like to ask you whether you are able to quickly record a video in the next couple of days on that first chords/arpeggio lesson (the one you did in your pilot program as well), as you maybe kept practicing it? By doing that I would be able to see also the progress you made since the last time you did it?

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Jan 8 2009, 04:14 PM

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 9 2009, 06:12 PM
Instructor
Great structure Roger , this will be awesome I can feel it. Have fun guys !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 11 2009, 08:11 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
How are things progressing Ben? I know the deadline is the 15th of January, but am just curious smile.gif

QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Jan 8 2009, 02:30 PM) *
edit: Since the syllabus is up now I would like to ask you whether you are able to quickly record a video in the next couple of days on that first chords/arpeggio lesson (the one you did in your pilot program as well), as you maybe kept practicing it? By doing that I would be able to see also the progress you made since the last time you did it?

Do you have the opportunity to post a current attempt of the first chords/arpeggio lesson, or does time limit you to fully focus on the Gm solo only (I know you told me that you have quite limited time to practice, which is fine of course smile.gif).

In any case, in order to give you a bit more variation in the practicing, I would like to ask you to visit my SI lesson on basic triads, and try to practice the first exercise posted there (try to do this for a couple of minutes at least every day). This will help you to work on some alternate picking and timing. Always use a metronome whilst doing the exercise and remember to start at low tempo and gradually increase speed. Don't worry too much about the theory behind the exercises (you may certainly read it and digest as much as possible smile.gif).

In case of any questions, just give a shout smile.gif

Roger

QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jan 9 2009, 06:12 PM) *
Great structure Roger , this will be awesome I can feel it. Have fun guys !

Thanks Pedja smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jan 11 2009, 11:40 PM
It is going well Roger! I almost have it down but haven't been able to get a video done since I had to work the weekend. I am off monday and tuesday and hope to get it done by then. It is going well, but I am having some trouble with getting enough sustain for some of the slides. The note seems to die on me! I don't know if it is my technique, or my guitar that is giving me some trouble with it. As far as the other video, I can try to get it done...but my time is fairly limited. If I can get the lesson video done tomorrow or the next day I will try to do the other one too. I still play the lesson about as good as the video that is up now. I have had a hard time with that one!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 12 2009, 12:28 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jan 11 2009, 11:40 PM) *
It is going well Roger! I almost have it down but haven't been able to get a video done since I had to work the weekend. I am off monday and tuesday and hope to get it done by then. It is going well, but I am having some trouble with getting enough sustain for some of the slides. The note seems to die on me! I don't know if it is my technique, or my guitar that is giving me some trouble with it. As far as the other video, I can try to get it done...but my time is fairly limited. If I can get the lesson video done tomorrow or the next day I will try to do the other one too. I still play the lesson about as good as the video that is up now. I have had a hard time with that one!

Thanks for the update Ben, and great that you are making progress smile.gif! Good to know that you are working in the weekends (do you work in shifts or is this a standard schedule for you?).

Regarding the slides, you have to be paying a lot of attention to use a very smooth movement from the starting fret to the final fret you wanna reach with the slide. You should not be able to hear the note separate which is in between the starting point of the slide and the endpoint (e.g. you start a slide at the C-note and slide up to the D-note, while doing that you should hear a smooth transition between C to D and not any hickups in between (most often happening when you cross the fret in the middle (C#-note)). By focussing on doing that, you will improve the sustain after the slide.

I have quickly recording a video showing you a coupe of slides which are smooth to show you what I am getting at. Hopefully it's useful.

Of course, I can't judge yet what is exactly the case in your situation, but try to keep this in mind whilst practicing the slides.

Good luck!

Roger

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Jan 12 2009, 12:40 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Slide_instruction.wmv ( 2.2MB ) Number of downloads: 125

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jan 12 2009, 02:07 AM
Thanks Roger! Your video definitely shows smoother note transition than I am getting. When I slide, I can hear the "bump-bump-bump" as my finger goes over the frets. I didn't hear that at all in your demo video.

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jan 13 2009, 02:37 AM
It is coming along nicely! I hope to get a video recorded tomorrow the 13th. The last run I can do...but it is still a little shaky! I am still having some sustain problems. It doesn't help that my neck has a little twist to it I am sure! tongue.gif The tech that did a setup told me about it.

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 13 2009, 11:32 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jan 13 2009, 02:37 AM) *
It is coming along nicely! I hope to get a video recorded tomorrow the 13th. The last run I can do...but it is still a little shaky! I am still having some sustain problems. It doesn't help that my neck has a little twist to it I am sure! tongue.gif The tech that did a setup told me about it.

Thanks for the update Ben. Looking forward to seeing your take tomorrow smile.gif Don't worry too much if things are not 100% perfect, as long as some efforts have been put in, and you actually learned something along the way (like an improved slide-technique etc., that's the best reward of it smile.gif).

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jan 14 2009, 02:58 AM
Here it is Roger...

I am still getting some bad fret buzzing...but am trying to dial it out. I think it is my technique more than the guitar. It isn't there as much when I start playing...but after playing awhile I think my fingers get tired, because that is when it starts more and more.

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 14 2009, 07:38 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks Ben, I am at work at the moment, but will check it out as soon as possible and provide you with my comments later today smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 14 2009, 11:18 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Ben,

I finally got the time today to properly watch and listen to your video. Sorry about the delays but it was quite hectic at work (normally I can do some things in between but not today).

Comments to assignment #1a

First of all I must say that I am very happy with the results of the video, and you nailed the basics of the solo quite well! smile.gif I do however have some comments on your playing, which need some more attention over time in order to further improve it. Don't worry too much about the fret buzz, by playing the solo a bit longer you will be more confident in playing it, which will smoothen this quite
a bit I am sure smile.gif

Below I will try to address the things I noticed (please don't be disencouraged at all by these comments, as they are only meant as guidance to improve smile.gif

1) Your timing during the video is quite good, well done! You have however the tendency to not let certain notes ring for the full length, which results in a bit of lack of smoothness of playing the notes in succession to each other (at some places you can hear a bit of 'silences' between notes). Try to work on the note durations a bit more and you will certainly improve on this, but I am quite happy that you got the notes down however correctly, which was the most important aspect anyways at this moment, so well done!

2) You did very well with the slides Ben! There is still room for improvement, but the basic slide movement you have nailed quite good. Please also refer to my previous comments in this thread to
further work on this, but this will be perfect in a little while I am sure.

3) In the first phase of the solo (until approx. 0:40s) most picking was downstrokes only, which is exactly what it should be. However you missed a couple of alternate pickings in this first phase (you started to use some alternate picking at approx. 0:30s of the video), Carlos is using alternate picking on most occasions where 8th notes are played. Try to capture those other alternate picking moments as well, as this will make your solo more melodic at those places.

4) Pay a bit more attention to your bend at approx. 1:00m as it gave some additional string noises and the sustain was quite short (see also point one above). I also had the feeling that it was a
bit out of tune (but maybe I am mistaken there, due to the string noises). The bend on the high e-string, 20th fret (1:07m) was also a bit out of tune (too low). Anyways, a good exercise to get this a bit better is to repeatingly play e.g. the 17th fret on the g-string, subsequently the 19th fret on the g-string and then make a full bend from the 17th fret. By doing that little exercise you will develop a good feeling how far you should bend to be exactly in tune (to reach the d note properly). I would more generally speaking recommend you doing this more often all over the fretboard as it will certainly develop your bend skills big-time (also because the bending over the fretboard feels different at all places).

5) You missed a note in the little pattern at the very end of the solo wink.gif . Furthermore, as already stated in point 3, try to work on your alternate picking a bit more, especially during that little pattern at the very end.

6) You tried to apply some vibrato during the solo which is excellent as it certainly gives 'feeling' to your playing. However the intensity (velocity) of the vibrato can still be improved (you often only marginally did some vibrato), which will together with a bit wider vibrato certainly improve your tone quite a bit (especially with the longer note values (1/2 notes e.g.). Don't worry too much about this at this stage, as vibrato is something that requires a lot of attention once all basics are covered to improve the tone.

All in all, a great job Ben! You need to work a bit on making the solo 'more melodic' and the bending needs some additional attention, but you nailed it smile.gif

Assignment #1b

Lesson
As time permits it at this moment, I would like to ask you to record a video in the next couple of days of either the first lesson you have done previously on chords/arpeggio's with Kris or alternatively, I would like to encourage you to try one of the exercises or part of it of my SI lesson on triads, by using a metronome.

In case you decide to use my SI lesson, I would suggest that you don't worry too much about going down to the longer strings (as that probably requires quite some effort at this stage), but instead of that you may only switch between the D major and D minor chord on the highest 3 strings in 2 shapes. Below I have made a new tab-file for your convenience which shows this (a guitarpro file is attached as well) - don't worry about the comments on inversions biggrin.gif .

By doing this exercise you will develop further your alternative picking skills and also your timing skills, whilst also learning a bit on 2 standard major and minor chord shapes. Try to focus as much as possible on making everything as smooth as possible smile.gif

Deadline
Please try to upload a take at a speed that is comfortable to you by the 17th of January if possible (just let me know if this is undoable, than we shift this a bit). Please make sure you record the metronome tone with it smile.gif

Finally, please let me know whether you liked my way of commenting your video and mentoring style, as I would like to improve as much as possible over time doing this, so any pointers in that direction would be very welcome!

Good luck, and in case of any questions, please give a shout or we can schedule a short chat session.

Roger

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Jan 14 2009, 11:19 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Simple_Triads_on_highest_3_strings___C_A_shape.gp5 ( 3.76K ) Number of downloads: 109

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jan 15 2009, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the tips Roger! I think your commenting is great and I am going to pay more attention to what you suggest! I will try your SI lesson, and I think I might be able to get a video up for you by then!

Thanks again!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 15 2009, 06:39 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jan 15 2009, 01:22 AM) *
Thanks for the tips Roger! I think your commenting is great and I am going to pay more attention to what you suggest! I will try your SI lesson, and I think I might be able to get a video up for you by then!

Thanks again!

Thanks Ben, glad you like the approach. Looking forward to your new video smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jan 17 2009, 03:34 PM
Roger, what would you consider to be the appropriate fingerings for these notes? I have them down my way...but was thinking I may be fingering them improperly...

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 17 2009, 08:14 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jan 17 2009, 03:34 PM) *
Roger, what would you consider to be the appropriate fingerings for these notes? I have them down my way...but was thinking I may be fingering them improperly...

I have added the suggested fingerings for the chord shapes in the GP5 file, and also shown below. Let me know if you need any more help smile.gif

1= index finger
2= middle finger
3= ring finger
4= little finger

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Jan 17 2009, 08:16 PM

Attached File(s)

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:41 PM