2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Why You Should Quit Your Band
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 2 2014, 10:01 AM
Instructor
Scared you? tongue.gif It's a very good read, so if you are curious, dig in: http://www.quadraphonicsoundproject.com/th...quit-your-band/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 2 2014, 08:31 PM
GMC:er
One of the best articles I've ready in quite some time smile.gif It does dispel many of our cherished myths as musicians but honestly, it's spot on. The "old biz", "Rock Star" days took a huge blow when the industry switched to downloading/vs physical units and most of the money dried up. It really does come down to the relationships one establishes at some point in terms of being a valid part of any scene. The good news for many of us is that with the rise of the web, our potential reach is unlimited even if our potential monetary returns remain low.

I've seen many players I respect join wads of bands/projects at the same time and I"ve never had any issue with that. I've noticed fans attacking various folks in various forums (not here of course among the civilized) for being in "too many projects at once" as if a guitar player is doing the moral equivalent of "musical bigamy" for being "overly involved" in to much music. I think that's crap. The more the merrier smile.gif I'm thrilled beyond reason to play on anything at anytime with anyone. I love to play. I love to record. So I am constantly approaching folks about guest soloing, etc. That's how I started up working with German Songstress Alexa. Just contacted her out of the blue and said "Hey, how about I put a solo on this one song?".

In short, thanks for sharing and take heart my musical brethren. Things have changed, but in many ways things are better than they ever were for those of us who simply love music. It will remain a challenge to make a living in music just as it remains a challenge make a living no matter what/where/how. Despite that, the web has brought us together, and IMHO made the entire scene better/more open/more democratic/and more interesting smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 2 2014, 04:01 AM) *
Scared you? tongue.gif It's a very good read, so if you are curious, dig in: http://www.quadraphonicsoundproject.com/th...quit-your-band/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 2 2014, 10:47 PM
Instructor
It's a very interesting article. I live the message behind it. The concept suggested there is fundamental if you want to be successful, no matter if you want to dedicate to guitar, music, other art or even to business. Relationships, conexions, knowing new people are very important to grow professionally and as a person.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 3 2014, 07:38 AM
Other than for a very select few it was always that way. The entertainment/art market has always been way over saturated. It's the nature of the beast/business. Who wouldn't want to be rich and famous for being a 'creative'?
The chances of making it in a or with a band were, then and now, slim to none.
You always had/have a better chance of being a career musician as a 'jobber' or mercenary - I prefer the term freelancer. In the 70s, 80s and early 90s if you did that, there were many that would call you a whore. Whatever.
I think you can find a balance.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 3 2014, 07:45 AM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 3 2014, 08:28 AM
Learning Tone Master
Very cool article. Anyway I never liked the idea to play in a band. It's very hard to find 4-5 person to sacrifice all to bring the band high. In my opinion there are many people that are more than skilled but stay in shadow because they choose to play with a band. I never understand why they choose this thing but maybe because is more comfortable, maybe because don't have courage to try something new. It's ok when you play with a band but you must have some goals, like an example to release an solo album and work at your original songs and try to make this thing real. Meet people and make relations and if you are a skilled musician and you dedicate all for music you can be successful smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 3 2014, 09:00 AM
Instructor
For me, this article struck another chord smile.gif I do believe in my band and I do believe that with perseverance and hard work you can get somewhere. What this article confirmed, for me at least, is that you need to associate yourself with the right people, in order to make something happen - it's quite simple actually, if you regard it as a mechanism. If you have broken parts, it'll never run, but if you have all parts working and you take care of maintenance when the time comes, it will run smoothly.

And about playing with as many people as possible - if that makes you happy, go do it. If it's not what you aim for, don't smile.gif It's all a matter of choices and as long as one respects his responsibilities towards a group, you can never ever say anything against him.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 3 2014, 09:33 AM
Instructor
If you don't have anything to say musically, making a solo album just to showcase your skills is futile - I felt like this and frankly, for me, it's more important to make things happen with my band than with me as a solo artist - when that time will come, I will know it and act accordingly. But in a band, when more people build something - they all have something to say TOGETHER - the ideal case, of course wink.gif I think there are a lot of factors involved, each situation being different smile.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 3 2014, 11:04 AM
Learning Tone Master
I referred when you have something musically to say you must make an album. Probably I'm more selfish and I don't want to share with anybody the success laugh.gif laugh.gif
If I will not be able to reach at that level and show something musically, I don't want to play and lock myself in a band. Another reason is that, I don't want to have a bad concert with my band because one of the guy didn't repeat enough the songs or he was at a party all the night.
Too much people have bands and they treat this not like true musicians, it's something more like a trend. Many guys love the feeling to be on stage it doesn't matter what they play or how they sounds. In our country more bands sound like shit.
I really want more for me and If I fail, I will make this alone without blaming others wink.gif
Really It's a very small percentage to have a perfect band and all guys to work together. Usually 1-2 guys make the songs and work hard for the band. Cosmin, you have luck and your band is very united smile.gif But.....Days are an ideal case wink.gif

Of course what I wrote is only my opinion wink.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 4 2014, 09:27 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Feb 3 2014, 10:04 AM) *
I referred when you have something musically to say you must make an album. Probably I'm more selfish and I don't want to share with anybody the success laugh.gif laugh.gif
If I will not be able to reach at that level and show something musically, I don't want to play and lock myself in a band. Another reason is that, I don't want to have a bad concert with my band because one of the guy didn't repeat enough the songs or he was at a party all the night.
Too much people have bands and they treat this not like true musicians, it's something more like a trend. Many guys love the feeling to be on stage it doesn't matter what they play or how they sounds. In our country more bands sound like shit.
I really want more for me and If I fail, I will make this alone without blaming others wink.gif
Really It's a very small percentage to have a perfect band and all guys to work together. Usually 1-2 guys make the songs and work hard for the band. Cosmin, you have luck and your band is very united smile.gif But.....Days are an ideal case wink.gif

Of course what I wrote is only my opinion wink.gif

You are right, but in the same time, if you don't try, you'll never know wink.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 4 2014, 11:52 AM
Instructor
Of course it's always hard to find a pack of people who follow the same path as You but it's worth trying. I was always afraid of becoming a solo guitarist who mostly drives half of his country to play i gig in small pub with a cd playback. I'm not saying it's something wrong but don't see myself in this position and unfortunately I see many skilled players doing this. Being in a band is a magic itself. This mentioned "sacrifice" is worth a thing when You create albums of memories with those people. Playing is not only an hour on stage. Those are years spent on rehearsals, in the bus, on the events. It's Your basist making You laugh when he abuse some "energy drinks". It's the vocalist who step on Your cable while Your going to the front to play solo smile.gif It's a lot of situations that makes the joy. I don't want to have "me, myself and J" type of long car driving, rehearsals etc.

Sometimes unfortunately You feel like the band doesn't follow Your progress and it becomes to limit You. Also...people chnage. You might play 10 years in a band that still play the same...but You grew up through this time period and You need changes. Those are reasons to leave a band...

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 4 2014, 05:06 PM
Again, no reason you can't do both. Budget your time wisely.

The best argument for taking on some 'freelance' gigs (guitarist in somebody else's band, cover band, duo gig, traditional music gig, etc.) is that you keep yourself immersed in music and you continue to be out in front of the public. So if and when the band breaks up you're still out there doin' it and you're still out there meeting other players ... those guys and gals that will give you another gig.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 4 2014, 05:07 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 5 2014, 09:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Feb 4 2014, 10:52 AM) *
Of course it's always hard to find a pack of people who follow the same path as You but it's worth trying. I was always afraid of becoming a solo guitarist who mostly drives half of his country to play i gig in small pub with a cd playback. I'm not saying it's something wrong but don't see myself in this position and unfortunately I see many skilled players doing this. Being in a band is a magic itself. This mentioned "sacrifice" is worth a thing when You create albums of memories with those people. Playing is not only an hour on stage. Those are years spent on rehearsals, in the bus, on the events. It's Your basist making You laugh when he abuse some "energy drinks". It's the vocalist who step on Your cable while Your going to the front to play solo smile.gif It's a lot of situations that makes the joy. I don't want to have "me, myself and J" type of long car driving, rehearsals etc.

Sometimes unfortunately You feel like the band doesn't follow Your progress and it becomes to limit You. Also...people chnage. You might play 10 years in a band that still play the same...but You grew up through this time period and You need changes. Those are reasons to leave a band...

Beautifully said mate - you pointed out the very essence of being in a band! I had three important bands in my life with all the 'blood sweat and tears'

Evo - 2004 - 2010 - the first big gigs, festivals, Tv and Radio appearances, presence on two national compilation albums and one EP
Voodoo - 2010 - 2012 - unleashing the showmanship and stage persona and being an opening act for big international bands, one album released
Days of Confusion - 2010 - present - this is my child so smile.gif all I have, I am giving to it tongue.gif

The memories gathered in all these years - almost 10 years of playing in bands, are priceless and have contributed A HUGE LOT to chiseling me as the human being that I am today.

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 5 2014, 11:45 AM
Learning Tone Master
When I hear you guys talking about the beautiful side of being in a band I have the feeling to say: I want my band biggrin.gif

I guess some feelings and moments can't be replaced playing alone.
I think some people are made to play in a band. I saw how is Cosmin before a gig and next day after gig, all that energy, that wild attitude and joy of life it amazes me every time. It's hard to explain but if I compare it's something like Cosmin in a normal day and Wolverine on the stage laugh.gif Sometimes this makes me think to play in a band smile.gif
In this moment if I put myself on the stage I can compare myself with a vegetable or a statue laugh.gif laugh.gif Of course when I will be sure on my playing I guess this will change and attitude will come by itself wink.gif
But you guys remembered just beautiful things. It's hard to believe that you never had the feeling that you can do more alone than band can do smile.gif

But the part with becoming a solo guitarist and made my own original songs and try to make people to listen my music it's more scaring and I like this tongue.gif I always choose the hard part. This is my goal but I must recognize that I never thought how unfunny are the moments without the rest of friends, when you travel for a gig and play with a cd playback smile.gif

Klasaine has right and anybody can do both. I think this is a best solution that I see smile.gif

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Feb 5 2014, 11:47 AM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 5 2014, 12:26 PM
Instructor
Playing in a band is also a great workshop and teaches You how to react on some unexpected situations...for example...drummer cutting Your cool solo in the half of it, playing the song 20 bpm faster then on the record while You're already playing the song on Your speed limits biggrin.gif In a band You can learn how to quickly fix some mistakes and make people think "it was planned to be that way". You learn how to improvise, You can show a mark to continue Your solo while playing because You feel You didn't finish the concept.

There are many good things Monica smile.gif

Oh...and the most important....You can challenge yourself with how good player You are when You have to play a gig in a cold room, after 8 hours in the bus and with no time for warm up. This is absolutely different story than playing at home smile.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 5 2014, 05:19 PM
The more I think about that article the more I realize that it's just 10 kinds of BS.
You don't - as band members - all have to breath the same air and follow the same dream as each other. Sure there are many great organizations that did this but here's a counter example: the Police - Sting was an literature teacher into Reggae and Andy Summers just wanted to be a jazz guitar player at the time of the band forming and up through the first record.
Here's a few others ... Ringo, Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts and John Paul Jones were all 'hired guns' in the beginning with the Beatles, Stones and Zeppelin respectively. Eric Clapton worked primarily as a hired gun throughout the 70s.

*Whether you 'make it' or not has always been a crap shoot. There are so many variables and you are at the mercy of a million external factors.
Playing live with a band is what it's all about. So don't quit your band. Just join a few more wink.gif

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 5 2014, 05:21 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 6 2014, 09:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 5 2014, 04:19 PM) *
Playing live with a band is what it's all about. So don't quit your band. Just join a few more wink.gif

As Darius said and Ken underlined - playing live is the THING and the whole experience is the real practice biggrin.gif In my opinion, as long as one can hold his responsibilities towards a band, he can play with whomever he wishes, on the side.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 6 2014, 11:10 AM
Instructor
That's what I do now Ken smile.gif I just work with a few bands. I have my own where I have most arrangements done the way I like but it doesn't play enough gigs so I could keep playing in this one only smile.gif

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Feb 6 2014, 11:32 AM
Learning Rock Star
I've never been in a 'proper' band biggrin.gif Hopefully I will meet people that have similar interests as me in my area! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 6 2014, 02:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Feb 6 2014, 11:32 AM) *
I've never been in a 'proper' band biggrin.gif Hopefully I will meet people that have similar interests as me in my area! smile.gif

but this will never happen unless You're determined to do that research smile.gif Don't wait until someone invite You smile.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 6 2014, 05:11 PM
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Feb 6 2014, 02:32 AM) *

Re-align your 'interests'.
1) you never know what you might get interested in.
2) you'll get better faster.
3) even if it's not your most favorite type of music, the fun and exhilaration you'll have playing with actual living and breathing humans is beyond description.
I've been doing it since I was 11 years old and the feeling is still the same.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 6 2014, 05:16 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:23 PM