Easier Bending?
kaznie_NL
Mar 15 2009, 03:53 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey guys,

I wondered whether there is something I can adjust on my Ibanez to make it easier to bend and do vibrato... ATM, I cando both fine, but not as wide and easy as in the lessons.... I know I could higher the action a bit. Anyting else?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
29a
Mar 15 2009, 04:02 PM
GMC:er
What string gauge are you using? Thicker strings tend to be more difficult to bend. Also on guitars with longer necks like Ibanez also put more tension on the strings.

Jonas

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
Xuestor
Mar 15 2009, 05:16 PM
practice and more practice smile.gif

I can do bends on my les paul with 11's on it in standard tuning. It's just about to work up some muscle strength in the fingers.

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 15 2009, 07:43 PM
Instructor
You can drop the tuning, it would make bending easier. Also, get lighter string gauge, that can help as well wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 15 2009, 08:07 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Well I have 0.09 so that's light enough wink.gif Muris makes his vibrato look so easy, so that's just hard work tongue.gif Am I right when I say that there is a little difference in between guitars? For instance a cheap strat copy will have tighter strings then a high end ibanez?

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 15 2009, 10:06 PM
Instructor
Doing bends and vibratos is all about technique, there is very small amount of effort into them once you master the technique. You just need to focus a bit more on practicing bendings, and it will come very soon. It's a boring exercise, but works wonders.
Regarding guitars, yeah hi end guitars are often "softer", but practice is the most important thing. Hi end guitar doesn't really make anything more accurate than it is, it just makes things more smoother and nicer to play

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Mar 15 2009, 10:06 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
29a
Mar 16 2009, 09:31 AM
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Mar 15 2009, 08:07 PM) *
Well I have 0.09 so that's light enough wink.gif Muris makes his vibrato look so easy, so that's just hard work tongue.gif Am I right when I say that there is a little difference in between guitars? For instance a cheap strat copy will have tighter strings then a high end ibanez?
Actually it's possibly harder to bend the strings on a expensive JEM than on a cheap Epiphone Les Paul because of the different scale length. You should also make sure that you bend with the strength of your arm not with your fingers. I'm sure there is a lesson that explains this somewhere on gmc.

- Jonas

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Mar 16 2009, 09:56 AM
Learning Roadie
i think practice is the way to go..

i was learning a solo this weekend, and it had a 2 step bend.. man, it was difficult, but after a while it wasn't that big a deal.. it just became easier and easier.. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
sted
Mar 16 2009, 12:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
I got 9's on my strat and 10's on my Les Paul and the difference is immense, the scale length of the strat makes bending very easy, too easy with 9's tbh but the LP is much shorter and a real workout for bends, especially when i'm trying to gary moore stuff when you have to hold the bend in tune, going from one to the other is really weird, but i got to say i prefer the fatter strings sound and feel, its somehow easier to control with that bit more resistance behind the string!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 16 2009, 01:17 PM
Learning Tone Master
Buy a set of 11s or even 12 gauge strings, put them on and practice bendings and vibrato - IT WILL KILL YOUR FINGERS but after a month you will hafve built up strength and precision and when you switch back to 9s, you will bend 4step bends like nothing and your vibrato will be MUCH BETTER!

IT WORKS!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 16 2009, 02:39 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 16 2009, 01:17 PM) *
Buy a set of 11s or even 12 gauge strings, put them on and practice bendings and vibrato - IT WILL KILL YOUR FINGERS but after a month you will hafve built up strength and precision and when you switch back to 9s, you will bend 4step bends like nothing and your vibrato will be MUCH BETTER!

IT WORKS!

I BELIEVE YOU!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 16 2009, 05:43 PM
Learning Tone Master
Believe me it's not much fun, especially when you overdo it and get blisters but the increased finger strength improves not only vibrato and bends but also legato and coordination... I keep the strength up by useing my downtuning guitar (with heavy strings) in standard tuning from time to time

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 12:08 AM