2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Thinking About Buying A Telecaster
Ryan AW
Dec 14 2008, 09:55 PM
GMC:er
I have been looking to buy a new guitar for a very long time. I have yet to save up enough money but once I do I want to know which electric guitar I want. I have looked at the les paul, the Paul Reed Smith SE, and now im thinking about getting a telecaster. I played one at Guitar Center and really liked it. Then, I started to look at the guitars used by the bands I listen to and several of them use telecasters.

I'm just looking for different opinions on the telecaster. What are its advantages and disadvatages.

Thanks for the help.

-Ryan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 14 2008, 10:06 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
A fast and probably innacurate definition of Telecasters would be that they are good for country and soft rock/pop.

For a longer description, see this wiki I wrote:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/index.php/Telecaster

Having said that I guess you need to try all guitars you can before making the decision. My first guitar ever was a Telecaster... and it's up for sale now laugh.gif

Turned out that its sound was too thin for my like, not the most versatile guitar out there, though they are great guitars. Try a strat before making a decision. And be sure to try Les Pauls and even SGs too. And even Jackson and Ibanez, even though they have nothing to do with teles.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ryan AW
Dec 14 2008, 10:48 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ Dec 14 2008, 05:06 PM) *
A fast and probably innacurate definition of Telecasters would be that they are good for country and soft rock/pop.

For a longer description, see this wiki I wrote:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/index.php/Telecaster

Having said that I guess you need to try all guitars you can before making the decision. My first guitar ever was a Telecaster... and it's up for sale now laugh.gif

Turned out that its sound was too thin for my like, not the most versatile guitar out there, though they are great guitars. Try a strat before making a decision. And be sure to try Les Pauls and even SGs too. And even Jackson and Ibanez, even though they have nothing to do with teles.

I really have no interest in playing country. I mostly want to play rock and punk. What stood out to me most when I played it was how easy it they are to play. I think it was mostly due to the low action. The electric guitar I play now has a very high action and it was a nice change of pace.

I guess I'm wondering will it sound good when I play something like Dashboard Confessional, and sound good when I play rock, like the instructor Gabriel Leopardi might play.

That wiki was really helpful. Thanks again.

-Ryan

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 14 2008, 10:55 PM
Gabriel plays a LP, and it's sound is quite the opposite of a Telecaster, much more meaty and thick due to the humbuckers and mahogany.

If what you liked about the Tele is the low action any good quality guitar will allow low action. Best advice is that you go to the store and try again teles, strats, Lps, Sgs, Ibanez, Jacksons... whatever you see that you may like smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:

Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Dec 14 2008, 11:36 PM
Telecasters are an essential part of the indie/alt rock sound. It would be great for Dashboard. If you fiddle with the tone and the pickup height, you can take some of the twanginess away but still have great definition. If I was to buy another guitar I'd buy a tele.

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 15 2008, 12:15 AM
Instructor
Telecaster guitars are great, nice spanky tone, bright and they have character. Indeed they are best for country and soft rock but they can be used for jazz metal as well with different pickup configuration then SS. Tele with 2 humbuckers or one humbucker in the bridge can be a great guitar for rock as well. Again, the choice is yours mate, if you liked only the playability of the Tele, it may be wise to check out other brands as well, since they all have some models that offer good feel and low action. When you check them all out see what fits you the best.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ryan AW
Dec 15 2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to make another trip to guitar center sometime soon and play all the guitars again and focus on the sound. Any recomendations on any guitars under $500?

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Dec 15 2008, 11:04 PM
Fender Standard Tele
Fender Koa Tele (A great guitar)

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 16 2008, 02:51 PM
Epiphone LP Custom (if you like LPs)

Around that price or a bit more expensive there are also:
Mexican Strat
Mexican Tele

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
unmarshal'
Dec 19 2008, 12:11 AM
I have a American 52 Reissue Telecaster and I really like it. I like having multiple guitars that are all different depending on my mood and what type of music I'm playing. When I need to play something shimmering and bright, I plug my telecaster into a Fender Deluxe Reverb and it sings like church bells. I don't know what your style is, but I really love this guitar. I will be keeping it for the remainder of my life.

Here is a picture if you are interested:

--------------------
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul 2008 Standard,
Fender 52 RI Telecaster,
Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR,
Fender CIJ Mustang,
Taylor 714CE

Amps:
Fender Deluxe Reverb (not vintage)
PodXT

Wishlist (next purchases):
Orange Tiny Terror
Rickenbacker 330 possibly 12 string version

I dig the jangle

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 19 2008, 01:43 PM
QUOTE (unmarshal' @ Dec 19 2008, 12:11 AM) *
I have a American 52 Reissue Telecaster

That's The Telecaster, if I ever decide to get a Tele again that would be it, no doubt.

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 22 2008, 09:05 PM
Learning Roadie
Teles are great. Listen to early Led Zeppelin, or the solo on Stairway for example. Thats a telecaster. Don't let anyone tell ya a tele can't scream like a les paul, because it can. It's more of a 'screamer' than the strat I think, though the strat overall is more versatile.

Also, it depends a lot on what kind of amp you have. If the guitar and the amp are both great but don't match very well, it won't be good either way.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
RyanAW
May 17 2009, 06:25 AM
Hey GMCers,

Its been a while since I posted on this topic. I finally got a job, my first, and have decided to buy a new electric, and I am almost certain I am getting a tele. My sister's boyfriend (he plays in a band called party foul, http://www.myspace.com/partyfoul260 , theres the myspace web address if you want to check them out. The sound similar to Blink 182 .... that was kind of off topic but anyway...) brought over his Tele so I could give it a whirl and I loved it.

I'm not sure which one to get. I'm looking at the Mexican Standard, the Telecaster Ash, or the Highway 1. The American standard seems a bit out of my price range dry.gif. I thought about getting a Mexican Standard and switching out the pick ups.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the help in advance. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
sted
May 17 2009, 11:25 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (RyanAW @ May 17 2009, 06:25 AM) *
Hey GMCers,

Its been a while since I posted on this topic. I finally got a job, my first, and have decided to buy a new electric, and I am almost certain I am getting a tele. My sister's boyfriend (he plays in a band called party foul, http://www.myspace.com/partyfoul260 , theres the myspace web address if you want to check them out. The sound similar to Blink 182 .... that was kind of off topic but anyway...) brought over his Tele so I could give it a whirl and I loved it.

I'm not sure which one to get. I'm looking at the Mexican Standard, the Telecaster Ash, or the Highway 1. The American standard seems a bit out of my price range dry.gif. I thought about getting a Mexican Standard and switching out the pick ups.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the help in advance. biggrin.gif

Hey pal,

I have just bought a USA telecaster and can highly recommend it, i tried a few mexicans which were quite good but not in the same league for tone and feel as the USA. In terms of cost there are some bargains on Ebay (I saw a brand new 2008 model go for around 560 pounds) and as long as you are prepared to be vigilant then you will find the guitar you crave for the right money.
If you absolutely have to have a new axe then check out the Baja players tele, it has a unique switching system and comes in classic tele colours, I would avoid the highway 1 teles, they are only assembled in the USA from other parts, you are basically paying for that privilege!

Heres a photo of mine anyway to whet your appetite!

Attached Image

+Quote Post
audiopaal
May 17 2009, 11:28 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I love Teles, great sound smile.gif
Perfect for pop/rock/country/alternative etc.

+Quote Post
RyanAW
May 21 2009, 02:43 AM
Hey, thanks guys!

Its been and extremely long time since I decided to by an electric. Its taken to long mostly due to me not having enough money, but I think the time has come!

A few days ago I went to guitar center to check out the teles there, and then the day after that I went to Sweetwater to check more of them out. I think I'm just going to go with the standard Mexican Telecaster. It seems like a great guitar for the price. Plus I don't have much to spend mellow.gif . I also don't feel to safe buying a guitar from ebay.

Any last advice before I buy. I really don't know much about guitars, I just play them laugh.gif , so anything is helpful.

Thanks again.

-Ryan

+Quote Post
Jesse
May 21 2009, 11:34 AM
QUOTE (Fran @ Dec 19 2008, 02:43 PM) *
That's The Telecaster, if I ever decide to get a Tele again that would be it, no doubt.

Wrong, its the reissue of The Telecaster

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Fran
May 21 2009, 02:27 PM
QUOTE (Jesse @ May 21 2009, 12:34 PM) *
Wrong, its the reissue of The Telecaster

laugh.gif of couse wink.gif, I mean, it's my favourite affordable tele, I can't imagine what an original 52' tele would cost these days blink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Jesse
May 21 2009, 02:35 PM
I saw one yesterday at local guitar store. 3400 I believe it was. Euros! So thats like. 4650 Dollars.

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Fran
May 21 2009, 02:39 PM
QUOTE (Jesse @ May 21 2009, 03:35 PM) *
I saw one yesterday at local guitar store. 3400 I believe it was. Euros! So thats like. 4650 Dollars.

Really? Was it in good condition?
I guess there are not many around, that's a lot of cash but I'd have thought they would be even more expensive, they are e-guitar antiques. Cool!

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:56 PM