New Here, Beginner Questions
vane505
Feb 15 2010, 07:17 PM
GMC:er
Greetings GMC smile.gif I am a beginner to electric guitar (played some basic fingerpickingsongs on my acoustic) and I have a few beginner questions.

* When picking 2+ strings with the pick, do you usually mute any other strings? Any good excercises you would recommend?
* On pull-offs, do you usually mute the strings below? I can't do it without letting the string below ring.
* When I try to bend a string, it often get stuck somewhat close or under my nails (I use second, third and fourth finger most often). Any good excercises or tips on how to bend?
* Also, can you recommend how to split a daily scheme (for example, 15 mins excercise, 15 mins song practice)? I will have like 30 mins/day (for now) that I can play.

Appreciate help cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
iamblackmo
Feb 15 2010, 07:31 PM
QUOTE (vane505 @ Feb 15 2010, 01:17 PM) *
Greetings GMC smile.gif I am a beginner to electric guitar (played some basic fingerpickingsongs on my acoustic) and I have a few beginner questions.

* When picking 2+ strings with the pick, do you usually mute any other strings? Any good excercises you would recommend?
* On pull-offs, do you usually mute the strings below? I can't do it without letting the string below ring.
* When I try to bend a string, it often get stuck somewhat close or under my nails (I use second, third and fourth finger most often). Any good excercises or tips on how to bend?
* Also, can you recommend how to split a daily scheme (for example, 15 mins excercise, 15 mins song practice)? I will have like 30 mins/day (for now) that I can play.

Appreciate help cool.gif

To answer several of your questions. I almost always have my palm on the bridge muting notes that are not to be played. This is in all situations. When bending or doing pulloff, I tend to use my left hand to keep strings quiet. Pulls-offs take a good deal of practice to execute correctly for the right tone with little noise. Another tip for the pull-offs is to arch your fingers more, use more of the tip of your finger and pull-off hard to get the sound right. This is something it took a long time to learn on my own but the minute someone explained it to me like that, I had it sealed in a couple days. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to execute pull-offs correctly.

As for your issue with bending, make sure you keep your nails on your fretting hand short and it sounds like you are betting with the tip of your finger and you should flatten out just a little bit so you can use your wrist to aid in the motion, as well.

As far as practice. I work on a lesson here, then I practice it to a backing track. Then I will play a song a know how to play in entirety along with the backing track. Finally, focus on theory when not playin.g

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by iamblackmo: Feb 15 2010, 07:35 PM

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Feb 15 2010, 07:34 PM
Instructor
Hi and welcome to GMC.

We've all been through that phase.

When I pick I do usually mute other strings with my right hand palm. This is of course the case if I am soloing. There are many exercises here. Use search box for picking exercises.

Pull offs can be tricky for a beginner. No other string should be heard. Find a way to mute any unwanted noise. If I have pull off from 7th to 5th fret on the 3rd string I mute the 1st and the 2nd string with my first finger while holding the note on the 3rd string.

For bending press with more fingers. If you're bending with the 3rd finger then press with the 1st and the 2nd finger as well so you'll have more strenght.

I never looked at time when practicing. I just know if I am not good at something I keep practicing that for as much time as I can. If I get bored then I play some songs. I wouldn't advise counting time for exercises and songs smile.gif

Good luck

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 16 2010, 05:44 PM
Instructor

Here's a muting tutorial I made, check it out for detailed answer:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...g-101-tutorial/

Practice slowly, and make breaks. Bending is hard on fingers in the beginning, so don't overdo it. Use a metronome and slowly bend to develop a steady fluid motion that will get you in pitch every time.

15 mins of practice/15 mins of song playing sounds good to me. Bare in mind that 15 mins passes VERY quick with guitar in hands, so try to make the best of it. Take a metronome and practice, I would suggest even for the whole 30 minutes some days to get the pace going.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
vane505
Feb 22 2010, 12:14 PM
Awesome, thank you all smile.gif

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Feb 27 2010, 01:36 AM
Instructor
Also a great tool to learn to develop your ear is to learn songs that you love and play along with the record or backing tracks!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:45 AM