Help With Listening By Ear
guitargod
Apr 20 2008, 04:59 AM
GMC:er
guys, can u all share with me how do u all do training by ear? i want to learn to train my ear? like the below song, just by listening how do i know which scale is it playing in? or which key etc?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2YTPS0he8Y

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
live everyday of your life like its your last n treasure everything and everyone around you to the fullest!!!
max life!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Apr 20 2008, 09:50 AM
Instructor
I think there are some softwares around for the ear training but I never used these ones.
If you have a friend and an instrument - a keyboard/piano is perfect - you can start to compare two notes. Your friend plays two notes. The first one is the reference. Then, you have to say if the second note is higher than first, lower or eventually the same.
Obviously you don't see which notes are played.
You can start to work to intervals in the same way, chords and scales.
One of the first steps is to be able to recognize major and minor triads/chords.
This is what I've done many years ago studying Jazz.

QUOTE (guitargod @ Apr 20 2008, 05:59 AM) *
like the below song, just by listening how do i know which scale is it playing in? or which key etc?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2YTPS0he8Y

This song is in A major key. I've listened the beginning.
Try to use A,D,E chords for the rhythm.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 20 2008, 10:34 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I would also suggest active practicing. Take your fave songs and try to "hear" the melodies, try to play them on your guitar without checking any tabs, you can use them later to check your results.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Apr 20 2008, 10:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Apr 20 2008, 11:34 AM) *
I would also suggest active practicing. Take your fave songs and try to "hear" the melodies, try to play them on your guitar without checking any tabs, you can use them later to check your results.

As we are most guitar players, this is the best ear training, of course biggrin.gif

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Apr 20 2008, 11:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Apr 20 2008, 11:34 AM) *

I absolutely agree !!! this is the best way, 'cos the most interesting is be able to play just what you imagine in your mind smile.gif

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Apr 20 2008, 11:24 AM
GMC:er
well said Juan

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
Apr 20 2008, 05:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Apr 20 2008, 06:34 AM) *

+1! I agree too!!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 20 2008, 08:20 PM
Instructor
You must be able to know all the chord positions on the fretboard and actually know how they sound relative to one another. Take a tonic chord for example and learn hwo the rest of the chords sound against it. You can make a simple exercise to do that. I think some concepts from my songwriting lesson can help you with that

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:28 AM