Intermediate Lessons, why not?
Aaron
Jun 10 2007, 09:18 PM
GMC:er
hey kris, can you make a section for intermediate players (similar to the beginner lessons)
i think i would be a great benefit

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
DON'T BUG ME ... I'M PRACTICING

Gear: (new) fender strat , 25g frontman amp,
Wishlist: Ibanez Jem, Flying V natural.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jammer91
Jun 14 2007, 10:23 PM
yeah that would be awsome!!!

It could Leagatos, Harmonics, Sweeps, Tapping and stuff...

The thing is this stuff is there (except for harmonics) and is spread out over the site, its just a matter of finding the lesson.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jun 14 2007, 11:37 PM
QUOTE (jammer91 @ Jun 14 2007, 05:23 PM) *
The thing is this stuff is there (except for harmonics) and is spread out over the site, its just a matter of finding the lesson.

Thats true, but it would be nice to know when you see the lesson if it's intermediate. That's kind of where im at to. I would like the section so you wouldnt have to watch the lesson through to figure out if it's your skill level or not.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
Jun 16 2007, 05:29 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Aaron @ Jun 10 2007, 05:18 PM) *
hey kris, can you make a section for intermediate players (similar to the beginner lessons)
i think i would be a great benefit

That would be a great help actually. I just finished up with the beginner lessons...well enough so that I felt comfortable moving on...still practicing with metronome and Am pentatonic. I didn't really know where to head next and ended up just looking around trying to find my next lesson. It was great in one respect because it got me familiar with what is actually on here....but at the same time I could have been practicing.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jun 16 2007, 05:39 PM
Instructor
The idea is fine but than - how do we decide if the lesson is intermediate, beginner or advanced difficulty?

As i said in our chat sessions - everybody has his own "intermediate" biggrin.gif

Actually - i would say that it would be better to split lessons into technique sections. Like Sweeping Section, Legato Section, AltPicking Section, Tapping Section...

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Rvddps
Jun 16 2007, 05:45 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jun 16 2007, 05:39 PM) *
The idea is fine but than - how do we decide if the lesson is intermediate, beginner or advanced difficulty?

As i said in our chat sessions - everybody has his own "intermediate" biggrin.gif

Actually - i would say that it would be better to split lessons into technique sections. Like Sweeping Section, Legato Section, AltPicking Section, Tapping Section...

that's a good idea, you could include lessons in more than one section then say if it included both tapping and sweeping.

+Quote Post
aerohit
Jun 16 2007, 05:57 PM
Hey it would be nice if somebody could create an index of lessons available on GMC (on a single page). Sometimes its very difficult to decide what lesson to choose for practicing. Probably it would be easier if all the lesson links are available on a single page.

--------------------
If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.

-Vincent Van Gogh

+Quote Post
jammer91
Jun 17 2007, 11:18 PM
Yeah as everyone says its hard to distinguish between advanced and intermediate. It sort of puts me off and wastes my time when i look at a lesson and blows me away with its difficulty.

I think you guys can roughly shuffle the difficult ones between the intermediate. Basically just link them to a page.

That would really help motivate us guitarists and keep us focused with targets reasonable to achieve. I amongst many would definitely benefit.

Thanks a lot GMCerz for addressing this topic, after all we are helping make GMC an even more awesome place!!!

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
Norven
Jun 18 2007, 12:05 AM
One thing that maybe could help is to give every lesson with the more "intermediate/advanced" techniques could get a symbol in the lesson list. That means it includes these techniques or something.

maybe a bad idea, I don´t know.

--------------------
The Guitar may be the love of life.

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jun 18 2007, 12:11 AM
Yes, it would be great with some sort of difficulty ratings at least. Yes, everybody has his or her own intermediate, so just label the lessons with like 1-5 in difficulty or something if it's too hard to decide what's intermediate. Some kind of difficulty ratings would make practicing a lot easier, anyways.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Owen
Jun 18 2007, 12:30 AM
As far as I'm aware so far, most of the lessons cater to various difficulty levels anyway, even the really complex ones could be done by a beginner at a slow enough tempo or help a beginner learn new techniques. A difficulty scale might help, but then you might end up limiting yourself.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jun 18 2007, 05:24 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jun 16 2007, 04:39 PM) *

I agree that lessons should be able to sorted in multiple ways....by instructor, by techniques covered (adding metadata to each lesson for techniques used..) and difficulty.

As for multiple definitions of "intermediate" I don't think that's too difficult to get around. It's going to be arbitrary and that's OK, as long as it's relatively consistent and might be helped with metadata or user-tagging as well.

What could help take the load off Kris on deciding something like this is to have some kind of interactive rating system. Let the students decide whether it's a beginner, intermediate, or advanced. There will be some difference of opinion, but it'll average out to something.

I still think there should be some kind of recommended curriculum on the site. The beginner section is a great start. While I think being able to skip from lesson to lesson is a good thing, sometimes one can get stuck on something and a recommendation of what to try next is helpful.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 18 2007, 06:24 PM
If you think your ready for that lesson. Then try it, but if not then dont i guess, but still try it. Because yoru not gonna die if you try to play SUPER DUBER FAST. It might actualy help you!!

So what i suggest is, and this is what I do. Dont think about how fast it is, or how hard the technique is. Just practice that song, or lesson. Because to get anything down. It just takes practice!! You wont be able to wake up one day, and be able to Play that Turilli lesson full speed without practicing it first!!

SO to sum it all up

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!

No matter how hard it is!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 18 2007, 06:35 PM
Learning Roadie
It might be good to have a rating system if only the instructors were to rate it. On a scale of 1 to 10 say, something in the beginner's area might be rated a 1, and something like marcus' advanced lesson a 9 or 10 or so.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 18 2007, 07:04 PM
QUOTE (JVM @ Jun 18 2007, 12:35 PM) *
It might be good to have a rating system if only the instructors were to rate it. On a scale of 1 to 10 say, something in the beginner's area might be rated a 1, and something like marcus' advanced lesson a 9 or 10 or so.

Now see thats a good idea

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Aaron
Jun 19 2007, 11:51 PM
wow!!! so many ideas sprang just out out one. there are so many great ideas

--------------------
DON'T BUG ME ... I'M PRACTICING

Gear: (new) fender strat , 25g frontman amp,
Wishlist: Ibanez Jem, Flying V natural.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:22 AM