Ltd Ec 500 Or Ibanez Xiphos, opinions from those whove played either
Guitarman700
Jan 14 2009, 08:02 PM
GMC:er
I really trying to choose one of these, but its not an easy decision!

Xiphos

ESP LTD EC 500

My setup is a Peavey Vypyr 30 watt, and play playing style, for this guitar, is Melodic Death, and more straightforward death and thrash metal, stuff like Megadeth, in flames, Necrophagist and carcass. My tuning preference is Drop c and b, and i like high string tension.

Not an easy choice, Huh?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Guitarman700: Jan 14 2009, 08:04 PM

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 14 2009, 08:22 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
my opinion is exactly the same as before - LTD - though I think the double cut looks cooler wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
29a
Jan 14 2009, 08:57 PM
I've played the xiphos and didn't like the body form, it felt uncomfortable when sitting. But a friend of mine likes it a lot so it's a matter of taste. Otherwise it's a killer. It looks and sounds like a heavy metal guitar.
- Jonas

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jan 14 2009, 09:00 PM
Well, appearance wise,they are very different. Not like trying to choose between the EC and a LP. So that makes it difficult to advise you. What are you leaning towards?

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
Matich
Jan 14 2009, 09:17 PM
hmmmm....xiphos..i liked it very much, not at all uncomfortable while sitting...the guitar is kinda neck heavy, so if you gig alot, u might dislike that...hm...i think i'd go for the ltd..i mean, xiphos has got the ultimate neck for me, just perfect, but still, i think that the LTD is going to sound kinda better, have a better balance and just might be a better bang for the buck.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 14 2009, 09:36 PM
Learning Tone Master
The Xiphos sounds a bit dull and soulless imo and feels weird to play. If you need a guitar for technical Death Metal then this is a good choice but not for any other genre BUT there is also the BC Rich Chuck Schuldiner signature which is obviously the inspiration for the xiphos and I prefered it to the xiphos.

The Eclips covers all you bands and styles perfectly and since they are not as thick as Les Pauls, the tone will be clearer on you downtunings, so this is the guitar to get. It is also far more versitaile and you don't look like a weirdo if you go on stage and play something else than death metal (like my buddy who gigged in a Cover band with his xiphos, playing ACDC and stuff^^ looked weird if you know what I mean)

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Jan 14 2009, 09:38 PM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 14 2009, 09:48 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jan 14 2009, 09:36 PM) *
It is also far more versitaile and you don't look like a weirdo if you go on stage and play something else than death metal (like my buddy who gigged in a Cover band with his xiphos, playing ACDC and stuff^^ looked weird if you know what I mean)

Yesss! That's also an important point, very much so. And buying a guitar today that sticks out, how cool will it look on you 10 years from now huh.gif if you buy for keeps that is, you can always put it on ebay when you grow too old or start playing another genre laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Sigfridsson
Jan 14 2009, 10:13 PM
I would go for the LTD as well, they make nice guitars!

Ibanez generally speaking from my experience make nice guitars even in the lower price ranges as well.

But both for looks and for specs I would go for the LTD!

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Eclipse I CTM Full Thickness, Ibanez RG470 with EMG81/85 pickups.
Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT XL

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 15 2009, 12:01 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Viper smile.gif

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Jan 15 2009, 05:35 AM
I like the Xiphos, I use it as my main guitar but be prepared to do a bit of adjustement. The strappins are in bad places, you will need to move the back one, the front is kind of optional but would probably be better.

Anyway, I like the Xiphos a lot, there are some who hate the P/ups and other that love em.

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:11 AM