The Gear Of Crossroads
Hardtail
Jan 1 2008, 05:41 AM
GMC:er
So I finally got to see the Eric Clapton Crossroads DVD's which I received for Christmas. If you love guitar you gotta see the festival, it is awesome. But I was paying particular attention to the gear the guitarists were using. Yeah there was the occasional MATCHLESS, MARSHALL, MESA BOOGIE, or other boutique amps but by and far I would say that over 80% of the amps used were Fender combo amps.

I think as a fender fan I was happy but I was more intrigued at what kind of Fender amps were used. I saw everything from brand new Hot Rod Deluxes, to vintage 70's Twin Reverbs. Gear that is easily affordable for many of us was being used as the amp of choice for several prominent guitarists.

Also, something all you fledgling performers should note. This festival filled an entire stadium and MANY of the guitarists were playing through their favorite 40 or 60 watt combo. So the next time you ask what size amp you need ... just remember it REALLY doesn't matter as long as it's miked and running through the PA system. Oh yeah! and one guy even used a little vintage 5 watt Fender combo laugh.gif sweet...

Anyway, just thought I'd share my observations!

Hardtail

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Hardtail: Jan 1 2008, 05:42 AM

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Goliath
Jan 1 2008, 09:34 AM
GMC:er
But outisde of the Eric Clapton sound the life of a dual rectifier becomes esential, of course,unless of course you're only playing Cream. Look at the old AC/DC set up, not much more, but every bit as recognizable.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 1 2008, 02:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Hardtail @ Jan 1 2008, 05:41 AM) *
So I finally got to see the Eric Clapton Crossroads DVD's which I received for Christmas. If you love guitar you gotta see the festival, it is awesome. But I was paying particular attention to the gear the guitarists were using. Yeah there was the occasional MATCHLESS, MARSHALL, MESA BOOGIE, or other boutique amps but by and far I would say that over 80% of the amps used were Fender combo amps.

I think as a fender fan I was happy but I was more intrigued at what kind of Fender amps were used. I saw everything from brand new Hot Rod Deluxes, to vintage 70's Twin Reverbs. Gear that is easily affordable for many of us was being used as the amp of choice for several prominent guitarists.

Also, something all you fledgling performers should note. This festival filled an entire stadium and MANY of the guitarists were playing through their favorite 40 or 60 watt combo. So the next time you ask what size amp you need ... just remember it REALLY doesn't matter as long as it's miked and running through the PA system. Oh yeah! and one guy even used a little vintage 5 watt Fender combo laugh.gif sweet...

Anyway, just thought I'd share my observations!

Hardtail

My point exactly. wink.gif

But Goliath has a point there too. If someone wants to play metal it really needs some heavy sounding gear, not little fender combos.
But I'm with you that a good sound on those scales with a help of a good PA system CAN be accomplished from little tube combos, especially if you play the blues or similar. smile.gif In fact that is the only way - you can't really play blues on biffed up metal amps, you need something more gentle.

This post has been edited by Milenkovic Ivan: Jan 1 2008, 02:53 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:53 PM