Speedpickinglessons And Backings
Salivtomte
Aug 28 2007, 04:42 AM
GMC:er
I've recently picked up speedpicking and progress has been Ok, i dont know what to compare with, i got the motion down an i am trying to get my hands get used to the fast positionshiftings and fast fingerings.

It seems like on pretty important advice is to not go for speed imediately, but work more on the pureness.

And thats fine, thats more important fore sure. I worked myself to a level where i can pick 8th triplets at 120bpm pretty clean.

Thing is most of the beginners patterns are 16th notes, and the "slow" backing tracks included starts at 120bpm something, so is that like a proper beginnersspeed, and in that case, am i worthless since im nowhere near 120bpm with 16th notes?

Also i am looking for advice on how to practice the speedpicking, should I jump on more advanced Sololessons and play em slow with no backing, with my metronome at my lousy speed, or should i work on the beginners stuff till i can play 16th notes at ~170bpm?

THX//little frustrated, thats all biggrin.gif cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 28 2007, 05:00 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Hi there!

No, you definately aren't worthless, sounds like you are making some good prgress actually!

I agree that a lot of the lessons have backing tracks that don't go slow enough for everyone. One thing you can do is to use a metronome instead of a backing track. Its not quite so much fun but it will be a very effective way to practice and you will get the same benefit out of the lessons, and your incentive is to improve to the point where you can use the backing track, and that will make you feel good!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Aug 28 2007, 05:02 AM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Salivtomte @ Aug 28 2007, 04:42 AM) *
I've recently picked up speedpicking and progress has been Ok, i dont know what to compare with, i got the motion down an i am trying to get my hands get used to the fast positionshiftings and fast fingerings.

It seems like on pretty important advice is to not go for speed imediately, but work more on the pureness.

And thats fine, thats more important fore sure. I worked myself to a level where i can pick 8th triplets at 120bpm pretty clean.

Thing is most of the beginners patterns are 16th notes, and the "slow" backing tracks included starts at 120bpm something, so is that like a proper beginnersspeed, and in that case, am i worthless since im nowhere near 120bpm with 16th notes?

Also i am looking for advice on how to practice the speedpicking, should I jump on more advanced Sololessons and play em slow with no backing, with my metronome at my lousy speed, or should i work on the beginners stuff till i can play 16th notes at ~170bpm?
THX//little frustrated, thats all biggrin.gif cheers

At the moment im concentrating at anything i find VERY VERY HARD! At the moment thats just 5 patterns (there are more but these im finding very hard).
So i guess im jumping in the deep end and working the way up (Im going insanely slow on this 1 lick because the picking pattern is confusing my brain- even though its strictly alternate)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:18 PM