A Black Cloud Hovering Over Soundcloud
PosterBoy
Jul 13 2017, 07:41 PM
Learning Roadie
http://uk.businessinsider.com/soundcloud-o...campaign=buffer

SoundCloud only has enough funding to continue its operations for another 50 days, according to a TechCrunch report.

The music streaming service recently laid off 173 employees — roughly 40 percent of its workforce — in an effort to cut costs and and remain independent.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Todd Simpson
Jul 13 2017, 08:14 PM
GMC:er
Egad! I figured they were on borrowed time to be honest. Most folks just go to youtube to find music this days which makes soundcloud sort of superfluous. I hope they can stay in business. I've actually got a pro account with them to get better analytics. It doesn't get nearly the traffic that youtube does and that may end up killing it.

Todd

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 13 2017, 02:41 PM) *
http://uk.businessinsider.com/soundcloud-o...campaign=buffer

SoundCloud only has enough funding to continue its operations for another 50 days, according to a TechCrunch report.

The music streaming service recently laid off 173 employees — roughly 40 percent of its workforce — in an effort to cut costs and and remain independent.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 13 2017, 09:30 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
That's sad, I have a pro account too, just because I filled up the free account with all of my junk.

Problem with YouTube, unless I'm doing it wrong, you have to create a video, I know it can be a still picture but it's still extra faff, I just copy and paste a jpg many times to create enough length for the sound track.

Let's hope they can pull through. Maybe they should have no more free accounts, or maybe allow three tracks free, there are probably far too many free accounts taking up resources.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 13 2017, 10:33 PM
GMC Founder
I was never a big fan of their service or model...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 13 2017, 10:37 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 13 2017, 10:33 PM) *
I was never a big fan of their service or model...

What do you prefer Kris?

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 13 2017, 10:38 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 13 2017, 11:03 PM
Don't also forget instagram, I'm seeing more guitar player promotion (mostly teachers) everyday.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GeneT95
Jul 14 2017, 12:53 AM
Guess I'll have to learn how to stream/link from my domain. I only use Soundcloud for here as it is pretty simple to use and link.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 14 2017, 08:40 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 13 2017, 11:37 PM) *
What do you prefer Kris?

Soundcloud I guess is the undeniable leader - and that's why we have support for it even here. However that doesn't mean I like their business model - and by the sounds of it, not enough other people do either.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 14 2017, 09:58 AM
Learning Roadie
For me it's just a convenient place to host music to share here and with friends. I'll have to find somewhere else soon I guess

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 15 2017, 09:31 AM
Instructor
I was using soundcloud years back...still have the account but haven't upload anything foe quite long. I think that facebook, youtube and instagram are taking most of the market these days. I remember having myspace once but...quit while they couldn't fix a few issues for a long time...like editting your bio. I guess everything has it's time on the market. I'm not sure how it was worldwide but in Poland when the internet was quite expensive , there was a thing like internet cafe all over the place. But few years later number of internet developers increased and price did fall down. So it was natural for internet cafe's to fall out of the market. Maybe this is what happens with soundcloud

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 17 2017, 07:34 PM
http://hiphopspeakeasy.com/2017/02/alterna...ultimate-guide/

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 17 2017, 08:08 PM
You are correct. Youtube requires some sort of image. Sound cloud has been very handy for embedding tracks right here on GMC. I use it all the time in COLLAB and in my SHRED CHALLENGE. It's been a great tool to have as an instructor to be able to embed music that folks can just hit the play button on before they download. If it does go away, I will miss it as an instructional tool to be sure. I guess I'll have to use youtube instead. sad.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 13 2017, 04:30 PM) *
That's sad, I have a pro account too, just because I filled up the free account with all of my junk.

Problem with YouTube, unless I'm doing it wrong, you have to create a video, I know it can be a still picture but it's still extra faff, I just copy and paste a jpg many times to create enough length for the sound track.

Let's hope they can pull through. Maybe they should have no more free accounts, or maybe allow three tracks free, there are probably far too many free accounts taking up resources.

So far the only alternative supported at GMC for embeds is youtube. So it looks like youtube will have to do if sound cloud goes under. I can see why they are getting squeezed out of the market. To much free competition, like youtube. It's very hard to compete with "free" as they say. I now they offer a free option at soundcloud but it's very limited so I went for the paid version with stats and more uploads. Sadly it looks like youtube is on deck to replace it for teaching purposes here @ GMC.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 17 2017, 02:34 PM) *

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 18 2017, 04:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 17 2017, 04:08 PM) *
You are correct. Youtube requires some sort of image. Sound cloud has been very handy for embedding tracks right here on GMC. I use it all the time in COLLAB and in my SHRED CHALLENGE. It's been a great tool to have as an instructor to be able to embed music that folks can just hit the play button on before they download. If it does go away, I will miss it as an instructional tool to be sure. I guess I'll have to use youtube instead. sad.gif

I think that it's safer to upload files directly to GMC forum to avoid possible lose of the material. If we manage small files like mp3, and mp4, it can be quick to download and listen.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 18 2017, 07:50 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 18 2017, 04:30 PM) *
I think that it's safer to upload files directly to GMC forum to avoid possible lose of the material. If we manage small files like mp3, and mp4, it can be quick to download and listen.

But the storage allowance isn't very much Gab so after a while we have to delete. Something like Soundcloud or YT is pretty big. It's nice to have a library online that is easy to access.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 22 2017, 04:17 AM
Thats true now that soundcloud might be going away. But I will miss the ability to embed so students can play without having to download. For that I'll have to use youtube if soundcloud goes under.

Todd

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 18 2017, 11:30 AM) *

Another good point smile.gif if we can store off site, we can have unlimited storage.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 18 2017, 02:50 PM) *
But the storage allowance isn't very much Gab so after a while we have to delete. Something like Soundcloud or YT is pretty big. It's nice to have a library online that is easy to access.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:00 PM