New Guitar On The Way!
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 19 2014, 05:17 PM
Instructor
Hello guys! The last week I have been contacted by an important Argentinean luthier called Pablo Lojo. He has been working making guitar for many years to important musicians here. As he likes Cirse and my work at GMC, he decided to offer me building one of his models called "LOJO ROSA" with all details about electronics, pick ups and colors specially customized by me.

He has made a guitar as a present for James Hetfield, and gave it when Metallica played at the Antartida:

Attached Image

I went to his workshop and tried many of his models, and I decided that I like this one:

Attached Image

Its sounds killer, it's a very versatile guitar that can get big powerful sounds like my Les Paul but also can emulate those classic Fender sounds, and it seems that everything between. I feel that it will be a very useful guitar for GMC guitar lessons but also for playing with Cirse.

I decided that I wanted it looking like this guitar that he made based on PRS single cut (without pickguard, this color and with gold bridge)

Attached Image

Today we have been discussing about the top, and this is the maple that he will use. It's very original, isn't it?

Attached Image

If you are curious you his website to see his works: http://www.pablolojoluthier.com/

These are some more pics that I took when I visited him:

Attached Image

Attached Image

I still have to decide the pick ups, I was planing for something similar to the Seymour that I have in my Gibson (jb and Jazz).

What do you think? Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
bleez
Jun 19 2014, 06:33 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
man, that's brilliant biggrin.gif congrats dude!
Lovely finish he put on the PRS style guitar, that will be cool with the maple top you picked.
It will be a bit strange to see you without a Les Paul cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Spock
Jun 19 2014, 06:54 PM
GMC:er

That's KILLER!!!

Congratulations man!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 19 2014, 11:26 PM
Super Congrats! Always a good day when you have a custom build on the way!!!

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jun 19 2014, 11:29 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
That's awesome! Reminds me of when Muris was building his guitar and showing the progression!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 19 2014, 11:43 PM
Congrats smile.gif

The Top wood you choose looks similar to the tele's on one of the pictures, cut angle is right between quilt and flame I guess. I don't think I've seen many like that smile.gif

A custom guitar is so personal its hard for me to comment. If I had a hard time with the final solutions worst case I'd go with a pickguard as changing any electronics later is much easier (knobs, switches, pickups...) cause all thats needed is cutting a new pickguard (shaping the wood is also reversible but a long process). Though on the other hand humbuckers today gives so many options it hard to go wrong unless one is looking for a highly specific sound.

Any ideas for neck profile? for example I've always wanted an ibanez RG with a Jackson neck just for fun biggrin.gif options of details are so endless if I had the chance I'd go to a guitar shop and play everything there till kicked out biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jun 19 2014, 11:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 20 2014, 07:41 AM
Instructor
Congrats Gabi!

And choosing a PRS as an inspiration tongue.gif That's always gonna bring up something good!

I would definitely go for some more aggressive pickups - a custom model requires some great quality parts, so maybe you would consider Bareknuckle as well? About the neck - you are accustomed to the Gibson neck, which I don't particularly fancy - would you consider something else, or you'd want to stick to what you are already comfy with?

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jun 20 2014, 08:27 AM
Looks like its going to turn out to be a very nice guitar biggrin.gif

As far as pickups, the DiMarzio Joe Satriani set looks a great set. In fact, I'm looking to get a pair myself lol I think they're great because they're not really that hot, which allows for more dynamics. They can also handle high gain stuff as well, as numerous YouTube videos demonstrate.

The new EMG 57/66 set look very promising. It seems like the best qualities of both passive and active have been combined into one pickup.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 20 2014, 11:44 AM
Instructor
Congrats Gab! smile.gif It looks like it's gonna be awesome smile.gif Luthier's guitars has some hidden magic smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jun 20 2014, 03:27 PM
Wow! Congrats Gab!! What a Birthday Present!!
That's going to be one very special guitar. You could consider the Dimarzio Evolution pick-ups (Steve Vai models) as an alternative.
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 20 2014, 06:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 19 2014, 07:43 PM) *
Congrats smile.gif

The Top wood you choose looks similar to the tele's on one of the pictures, cut angle is right between quilt and flame I guess. I don't think I've seen many like that smile.gif

A custom guitar is so personal its hard for me to comment. If I had a hard time with the final solutions worst case I'd go with a pickguard as changing any electronics later is much easier (knobs, switches, pickups...) cause all thats needed is cutting a new pickguard (shaping the wood is also reversible but a long process). Though on the other hand humbuckers today gives so many options it hard to go wrong unless one is looking for a highly specific sound.

Any ideas for neck profile? for example I've always wanted an ibanez RG with a Jackson neck just for fun biggrin.gif options of details are so endless if I had the chance I'd go to a guitar shop and play everything there till kicked out biggrin.gif

yeah, I tried many necks from Lojo's guitars and I decided that I prefered the one that he used for the guitar I'm holding in the picture. It's a bit thinner than my les paul but it's close. I think that it's very similar to the one that Single cuts have. I find my les paul neck very comfortable, I'm use to it, I don't feel comfortable with extra slim necks like the ones that Jackson or Ibanez guitar have.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 20 2014, 03:41 AM) *
Congrats Gabi!

And choosing a PRS as an inspiration tongue.gif That's always gonna bring up something good!

I would definitely go for some more aggressive pickups - a custom model requires some great quality parts, so maybe you would consider Bareknuckle as well? About the neck - you are accustomed to the Gibson neck, which I don't particularly fancy - would you consider something else, or you'd want to stick to what you are already comfy with?

As I told Mertay, it will be something close to single cut neck, I think that you must really know what I'm talking about. You are an official PRS endorser! smile.gif

About the pick ups, honestly I've never tried those ones. What can you tell me? What's the difference with the Seymour Duncan's that I'm using in my Gibson? (jazz and jb)

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jun 20 2014, 04:27 AM) *
Looks like its going to turn out to be a very nice guitar biggrin.gif

As far as pickups, the DiMarzio Joe Satriani set looks a great set. In fact, I'm looking to get a pair myself lol I think they're great because they're not really that hot, which allows for more dynamics. They can also handle high gain stuff as well, as numerous YouTube videos demonstrate.

The new EMG 57/66 set look very promising. It seems like the best qualities of both passive and active have been combined into one pickup.

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jun 20 2014, 11:27 AM) *
Wow! Congrats Gab!! What a Birthday Present!!
That's going to be one very special guitar. You could consider the Dimarzio Evolution pick-ups (Steve Vai models) as an alternative.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will definitely explore a bit more about pick ups. I definitely need something aggressive but with good dynamics and sustain and also something that respects the guitar that you are using. I've tried some pick ups that seem to sound always the same, no matter in which guitar you put them. Also, I don't like active pick ups that sound too compressed and without dynamics.

Also, those of you who know me well surely knows that I need something versatile, that goes from pop, punk to extreme metal. Yeah, I know it's tricky, but I think it's possible. Please let me know if you have more suggestions regarding pick ups.

Thanks!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 21 2014, 10:09 AM
Awesome! ... and happy birthday!

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 21 2014, 02:35 PM
Learning Roadie
Check out Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells. Steve Steven's signature pickups. I've heard some great sounds from Les Pauls with them in

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 21 2014, 06:43 PM
Instructor
Hey Gabi! I tried pretty much all the PRS necks and I am most delighted by the thin wide shape smile.gif I dislike the Akerfeldt model neck, because it resembles Gibson too much biggrin.gif Well, my experience with these pickups is mostly based on the sound they deliver on one of my band mates baritone - he has a Cold Sweat neck pickup installed and that pickup alone, made a 320 dollars guitar sound AMAZING! I think you should definitely write them and tell them about your project and they will most surely recommend a pickup set that goes well with your tastes wink.gif

Other than that, I haven't tried more vintage oriented pickups from them, so I'd first check things out a bit more if I were you - but write them, definitely!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jun 21 2014, 07:12 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 20 2014, 01:07 PM) *
About the pick ups, honestly I've never tried those ones. What can you tell me? What's the difference with the Seymour Duncan's that I'm using in my Gibson? (jazz and jb)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will definitely explore a bit more about pick ups. I definitely need something aggressive but with good dynamics and sustain and also something that respects the guitar that you are using. I've tried some pick ups that seem to sound always the same, no matter in which guitar you put them. Also, I don't like active pick ups that sound too compressed and without dynamics.

Also, those of you who know me well surely knows that I need something versatile, that goes from pop, punk to extreme metal. Yeah, I know it's tricky, but I think it's possible. Please let me know if you have more suggestions regarding pick ups.

Thanks!!

I haven't tried either the EMG 57/66 or the DiMarzio Satriani set, so I can't really give you firsthand experience. Those are the ones that currently appeal to me... and we got similar tastes in music so I thought you might appreciate them biggrin.gif

If you want a pickup that is affected by the guitar construction, then an older style pickup might be what you're looking for. Supposedly pickups that are built to old manufacturing standards are slightly microphonic, and that makes them more sensitive to the vibrations of the guitar.

The Sheptones are supposedly some of the most responsive vintage style pickups out there. And you can play any style of music with them, not just classic rock. I'd get a set if I wasn't so broke haha laugh.gif

Sheptone Humbuckers

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 22 2014, 01:33 PM
Instructor
Hey again Gabi - I think that the best thing to do is contacting the producers and telling them about your configuration and the guitar design and other important tech specs - I think that every serious producer should be available for counseling potential clients in respect to their needs.

As I mentioned, Bareknuckle are practicing this and it felt really nice to find such a nice and extensive answer to my questions from their sales person.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 22 2014, 06:32 PM
GMC Founder
This sounds amazing Gab!

Since you have a luthier to your disposal - you can ask for a guitar with a more complex wiring scheme.

Most versatile would be a H-S-H configuration with 5 way toggle switch and coil split for the humbucker pickups. This would give you both strat, les paul and in between tones.

Furthermore you could add

* treble bleed

* parallel routing switch for the humbuckers

* phase switch

Typically pickups such as JB/59 (and probably even JB/jazz) are recommended for splitting since they are high output and work well for that. These pickups are considered standard and therefore you can find a lot of relevant information when googling about the possible configurations. They are also what you are currently used to, and known to work very well 'in the mix'.

I think you should do quite some googling to understand what these different things do - so that you can make the most out of this brilliant opportunity!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 23 2014, 07:58 AM
Instructor
Hey Kris smile.gif Thanks for the tip with the treble bleed! I had no clue about it, but I looked it up and I found an extremely interesting pdf which I want to share with everyone here: Treble Bleed explained

For those of you who were in my situation, here's a little excerpt of the article in the PDF, explaining what treble bleed is all about:

'You may have noticed that as you turn your electric guitar's volume pot down the sound loses treble becoming progressively bassier. This is particularly noticeable with single coil pickups - humbuckers are not affected nearly as much. This treble loss is not a problem for everyone, as many guitarists prefer to roll off the volume slightly to get a slightly darker and less overdriven sound for rhythm playing. Turning up the volume for leads then not only boosts drive, but brightens the sound too, helping it cut through the mix better. So I'd say the golden rule is - listen to your guitar, if the loss of treble is too extreme for your taste, start tweaking. If it sounds fine to your ears - leave things as they are'

Hope this helps wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 25 2014, 04:52 PM
Instructor
Thanks guys for all this info, I'm not very into this stuff but the guitar that I tried from him included a function that allowed you to make the pick ups "single" and it definitely sounded like a Strato! I said him: I want mine like this one! It's awesome how much versatile the guitar becomes.

Thanks Kris for those details, I will definitely check the three features that you listed there. Also, I didn't know that having high output pick ups was an advantage when you decide to split them.

Pablo, the luthier is monitoring this thread so we will be discussing this things to get the best of this guitar. smile.gif

He also send me a picture from the rosewood he will be using for the neck. biggrin.gif

Isn't it beautiful? wub.gif

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
GregH
Jun 25 2014, 07:49 PM
Very nice!

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:55 AM