Question On Famous Paul Gilbert Lick, Dealing with unwanted noises
dairwolf
May 5 2012, 10:54 PM
GMC:er
Hey everyone! I made an interesting observation when I watched this instructional clip by Paul Gilbert on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6BERF9Nw3I

The part I want to talk about starts at about 1:20. This is the tab for the important part:

A------------8---------------------8-10-12-----------------------
E--8-10-12----12-10-8-10-12----------------------------------

The lick starts with an upstroke and it´s all alternate picking.

What i noticed now is this: When PG get´s faster (at about 1:24), at the exact moment when he plays the forth note of the lick (the first time he plays the f on the 8th fret on the a string), you can quite clearly hear the b harmonic of the 7th fret on the e string, even though this very string shouldn´t be picked! So you can kind of hear BOTH the f on the a string AND the harmonic of the 7th fret of the e string (you have to listen closely, though).

My conclusion now is this: when PG hits the a string with an upstroke, he accidentally hits the low e string so that the harmonic b of the 7th string on the e string rings. (What´s interesting too about this is that you can hear the harmonic even though in order to hear it he would have to have his finger above the 7th fret, but he does have it above the 8th fret, so it´s kinda double-accidentally.)

This observation actually led me to the false belief that you ALWAYS hit two strings when you do an upstoke. I made another post about this:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=44064

So, what do you think? How do you cope with this kind of problem? Do you think only PG accidentally hits the e string or do you think it´s inevitable because of the speed with which you play the lick? And what about other situations about fast picking and upstrokes?

I´m sorry this post got rather long, but I´m really curious!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 6 2012, 04:32 PM
Instructor
Hi Dairwolf. To me it sounds more like the bottom end chunk from the dry tone that PG is using, rather than an accidental harmonic note. I could be wrong but it sounds more like a bit of excess noise rather than another string being hit. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:02 PM