My Custom Guitar, Help Required
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 26 2008, 05:25 PM
GMC:er
So I've decided I'm gonna buy a custom guitar to cheer me up and it's going to be good. Oh yes it is smile.gif But I'm a bit stuck as I don't know what works well with what. So that's where the great GMC community come in.

I want it in natural Sitka Spruce with a straight through neck. Sitka Spruce looks like this.

I don't want a Carbon graphite neck however. I want it to go straight through. Will this be alright firstly using Sitka Spruce to do this and what fingerboard do you think will fit well looks wise with this style wood. I'm having it natural. I asked for Ebony but maybe Maple will fit better with this? Or Sitka Spruce finger board also? I want to have 24 frets but that shouldn't be a problem. Also I'd love a Floyd Rose on it or would that ruin it? Should I just get a Gibson SG style system with no whammy or vibrato system?

I want this to be perfect smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spreedmaster
Feb 26 2008, 05:32 PM
You're ordering a custom? Didn't you say you havent payed off your caparison? huh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
''It is not herasy, and I will not repent''

Guitars:B.C. Rich WMD SOB with EMG 81/85s and Afterburner
B.C. Rich green acrylic ice Mockingbird with Rockfield Mafia/Fat ass
Black Peavy Rotor EX
ESP LTD DV200 with an irongear hammerhead in the bridge

Gear: Marshall MG15DFX
POD 2.0
Dunlop crybaby
Behringer UM300
Danelectro FAB metal
Biyang DS-7
Behringer EQ700

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 26 2008, 05:33 PM
QUOTE (Spreedmaster @ Feb 26 2008, 04:32 PM) *
You're ordering a custom? Didn't you say you havent payed off your caparison? huh.gif

It's a weird one. I got the Caparison when I didn';t have much money on finance. I could actually pay the Caparison off now in one but I'd still have to pay the additional interest whether I pay it off now or in 20 months so I'm buying a new custom guitar as a one off payment and paying for the Caparison at 80 pound per month smile.gif

I think this custom will make me happy as only I will have one like it and I'll play it every day and never let it leave my sight smile.gif

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Feb 26 2008, 05:35 PM

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 26 2008, 06:11 PM
Definitely need a floyd. I'm not really sure about the wood though.

BTW, is it a Parker custom shop?

This post has been edited by SLASH91: Feb 26 2008, 06:13 PM

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Spreedmaster
Feb 26 2008, 07:52 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 26 2008, 04:33 PM) *
It's a weird one. I got the Caparison when I didn';t have much money on finance. I could actually pay the Caparison off now in one but I'd still have to pay the additional interest whether I pay it off now or in 20 months so I'm buying a new custom guitar as a one off payment and paying for the Caparison at 80 pound per month smile.gif

I think this custom will make me happy as only I will have one like it and I'll play it every day and never let it leave my sight smile.gif

Well if it keeps you from giving up the guitar go for it!

--------------------
''It is not herasy, and I will not repent''

Guitars:B.C. Rich WMD SOB with EMG 81/85s and Afterburner
B.C. Rich green acrylic ice Mockingbird with Rockfield Mafia/Fat ass
Black Peavy Rotor EX
ESP LTD DV200 with an irongear hammerhead in the bridge

Gear: Marshall MG15DFX
POD 2.0
Dunlop crybaby
Behringer UM300
Danelectro FAB metal
Biyang DS-7
Behringer EQ700

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 26 2008, 08:00 PM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Feb 26 2008, 05:11 PM) *
Definitely need a floyd. I'm not really sure about the wood though.

BTW, is it a Parker custom shop?

Good god no lol biggrin.gif Parker Custom using Sitka Spruce is 7000 pound lol

I'm getting it off of the same guy that did Muris' guitar.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 26 2008, 09:07 PM
Instructor
Good thinking, that MK Guitars are really great! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 26 2008, 09:12 PM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 26 2008, 08:07 PM) *
Good thinking, that MK Guitars are really great! smile.gif

Do you know if all through neck Sitka Spruce is wise Ivan or not? And what fingerboard do you think would go well with that.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Feb 26 2008, 09:24 PM
Why not get a 7 String guitar?

I know 7 string is always related to heavy metal and stuff, but it really opens up new doors to your playing, with extended scales, extended chords and obviously great for heavier stuff.

Much more versitile.

Check out http://www.carvinguitars.com/.

And if you do look into 7 strings. Definatly get a maple or ebony board, just for some extra clarity.

This post has been edited by Tjchep: Feb 26 2008, 09:25 PM

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 26 2008, 09:26 PM
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Feb 26 2008, 08:24 PM) *
Why not get a 7 String guitar?

I know 7 string is always related to heavy metal and stuff, but it really opens up new doors to your playing, with extended scales, extended chords and obviously great for heavier stuff.

Much more versitile.

Check out http://www.carvinguitars.com/.

Why does everybody assume I'm a big metal fan lol. I'm getting sitka spruce because it is a great blues, funk and jazz guitar which is what I enjoy the most. I really don't like 7 string guitars. I don't like 5 string or 6 string basses also. I do like metal but I'm far from a big metal fan. smile.gif I'm getting the Chuck Schuldiner Stealth for the metal anyway biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Feb 26 2008, 09:27 PM

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Feb 26 2008, 09:49 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 26 2008, 09:26 PM) *
Why does everybody assume I'm a big metal fan lol. I'm getting sitka spruce because it is a great blues, funk and jazz guitar which is what I enjoy the most. I really don't like 7 string guitars. I don't like 5 string or 6 string basses also. I do like metal but I'm far from a big metal fan. smile.gif I'm getting the Chuck Schuldiner Stealth for the metal anyway biggrin.gif

I didn't assume that, I was just saying, 7 strings can be used for alot more than just metal. smile.gif. But If you don't like them then I'll let that be.

What kinda amp do you have mate?

An amazing amp + effects might do a bit better for you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 26 2008, 09:51 PM
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Feb 26 2008, 08:49 PM) *
I didn't assume that, I was just saying, 7 strings can be used for alot more than just metal. smile.gif. But If you don't like them then I'll let that be.

What kinda amp do you have mate?

An amazing amp + effects might do a bit better for you.

I have a Marshall JCM800 half stack tongue.gif An original 80's one

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Feb 26 2008, 09:57 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 26 2008, 09:51 PM) *

I don't know.

You already have a new guitar on the way, If I were you I would definatly go for a new setup.

Probably like a Mesa boogie mark VI or triaxis with g-force.

It will give you alot more different sounds than a guitar alone will.

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 26 2008, 09:58 PM
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Feb 26 2008, 08:57 PM) *
I don't know.

You already have a new guitar on the way, If I were you I would definatly go for a new setup.

Probably like a Mesa boogie mark VI or triaxis with g-force.

It will give you alot more different sounds than a guitar alone will.

I don't like Mesa Amps. If I went for an amp I'd go for a Fender '65 Twin Reverb but it's more than the guitar costs. sad.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
Feb 26 2008, 09:59 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 26 2008, 03:51 PM) *

i hate you your so lucky!!!!!!!!! marshall is the best!!!

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post
Charvel
Feb 26 2008, 10:07 PM
Here'll you'll find some informations about bolt on and set necks:

Necks

I'd go with the Bolt on Neck. If it's done good, it can sound better than a set one (set one's are usually cheaper!). The Bolt Neck can give you that "twang" sound and your guitar will sound brighter, which is extremely good for funk and blues.

And here another one about woods:

Woods

Maple necks are good for blues, mahagony and ebony is good for Jazz, since it'll give you a deeper and fatter sound. But you decide, just read the article and you will know what you want...

Do you really need the floyd rose? A Hard Tail will give you more sustain, but again, there are also tremolo guitars (Strat) that sound great (even better than a hard tail) for blues. Hard tail is more for Jazz, and a smoother, allround sound.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 26 2008, 10:10 PM
Cool. I'll give it a read. Thanks. smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Feb 26 2008, 10:10 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 26 2008, 09:58 PM) *
I don't like Mesa Amps. If I went for an amp I'd go for a Fender '65 Twin Reverb but it's more than the guitar costs. sad.gif

Ahh just an example.

But whatever makes you happy smile.gif.

Good luck though, sitka spruce is an amazing wood. Very original too. (As far as guitar woods go) smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Feb 26 2008, 10:26 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Hell yeah!

Good for you man smile.gif

I'm thinking of ordering a guitar from him as well, looking at specs now smile.gif

Let me now what you get and progress smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:42 AM