2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Latest Audio Gear News, new weekly updates of latest devices in the audio industry
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 21 2011, 08:43 PM
Instructor
Hey guys, I created this little topic for giving you the latest interesting devices from the audio industry. As time goes by, I'll update the topic, and provide some usual info on the devices that I've found interesting. Stay tuned! smile.gif

First device for today is excellent 4-channel MOTU audio interface, perfect balance with very good pricing tag:

MOTU 4pre Hybrid USB/FireWire Interface (price ~450$ @ 21.11.2011)

Features:

A great audio interface for desktop and laptop recording rigs
Compact and rugged all-metal chassis fits easily in a backpack, but comes with the hardware you need to rackmount it
4 x ultra-clean and highly transparent microphone preamplifiers let you record without coloring your sound
All analog inputs are on combo jacks, providing you with the connectivity you need to record 2 x balanced line-level sources as well as 2 x hi-Z instrument sources
2 x channels of S/PDIF I/O
2 x independent headphone outputs make collaboration easy
Independent hands-on mixer lets you use the 4pre even without your computer
Connects via USB 2.0 or FireWire 400
CueMix software lets you control four mixes and 8 buses with simple tabbed interface (includes tuner, oscilloscope, real-time FFT, spectrogram waterfall, X-Y phase analysis, and other tools)
Functions as a stand-alone 4-channel mixer, even without a computer
Includes AudioDesk recording software

Specification Detail

Computer Connection Type FireWire/USB
Form Factor Rackmount/Desktop
Simultaneous I/O 6 x 6
A/D Resolution 24-bit/96kHz
Built In DSP/FX DSP Mixer
Number of Audio Inputs 4
Audio Input Types 2 x XLR/TRS combo, 2 x XLR/TS (DI) combo
Number of Audio Outputs 4
Audio Output Types 4 x TRS
Number of Digital Inputs 2
Digital Input Types 1 x S/PDIF
Number of Digital Outputs 2
Digital Output Types 1 x S/PDIF
Number of Mic Preamps 4
Phantom Power Yes
MIDI I/O No MIDI I/O
Clock I/O No Clock I/O
Bus Powered Yes (FireWire only)
Rack Units 1/2U
Depth 7"
Width 8.5"
Height 1.75"
Manufacturer Part Number 8460

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thefireball
Nov 21 2011, 09:01 PM
Learning Roadie
Great idea, Ivan! Thanks!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 22 2011, 05:02 PM
Instructor
Today we have a very solid piece of studio gear - this time a guitar! smile.gif Gibson made, with Gibson feel, with very affordable price, for covering lots of ground in the studio, but live as well (why not!). Of all the features, specially pointing out baked maple freboard for increased top end grit.

Gibson Nighthawk Studio (Goldtop) (price ~1000$ @ 22.11.2011)

Gibson Nighthawk Features:

Smooth-playing guitar with versatile tones and incredible sustain
Premium poplar body
Mahogany neck
Baked Maple Fretboard
25.5" scale length
Burstbucker pickups give you killer tone
Coil-tap electronics let you choose between single-coil and humbucker pickup types
Gig Bag included

Specification Detail

Body Material Poplar
Top Material Not Applicable
Body Finish Nitrocellulose
Color Gold Top
Neck Material Mahogany, Set
Neck Shape Slim Taper
Scale Length 25.5"
Fingerboard Material Baked Maple
Fingerboard Inlay Dots
Number of Frets 22
Nut Width 1.625"
Bridge/Tailpiece Fixed
Tuners Kluson Deluxe
Number of Pickups 2
Neck Pickup BurstBucker 2 Humbucker
Middle Pickup No Middle Pickup
Bridge Pickup BurstBucker 1 Humbucker
Controls 1 x Volume (Rhythm Coil Tap), 1 x Tone (Treble Coil Tap)
Case Included Gig Bag
Manufacturer Part Number DSNSTTGTCH1

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 22 2011, 06:52 PM
GMC:er
Nice axe smile.gif Maybe $1000 U.S. is pushing the bounds of "Affordable" for many folks these days, but well worth the cost if you are in the market for this type of axe. Any recording/tone examples?

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 22 2011, 11:02 AM) *
Today we have a very solid piece of studio gear - this time a guitar! smile.gif Gibson made, with Gibson feel, with very affordable price, for covering lots of ground in the studio, but live as well (why not!). Of all the features, specially pointing out baked maple freboard for increased top end grit.

Premium poplar body
Mahogany neck
Baked Maple Fretboard
25.5" scale length
Coil-tap electronics let you choose between single-coil and humbucker pickup types
Gig Bag included

Specification Detail

Body Material Poplar
Color Gold Top
Neck Shape Slim Taper
Scale Length 25.5"
Fingerboard Inlay Dots
Number of Frets 22
Nut Width 1.625"
Bridge/Tailpiece Fixed
Tuners Kluson Deluxe
Number of Pickups 2
Case Included Gig Bag

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 22 2011, 07:05 PM
Instructor
There aren't any good demos out there, most of them are amateur so didn't want to put them on. If a good one comes out, I'll place it smile.gif

Another great product for all you heavy metal drum programmers is new Toontrack's MIDI pack

Library of the Extreme - Fill Insanity

Dirk Verbeuren (Soilwork, Scarve) is back with the third pillar in his much appreciated series of extreme metal MIDI for drums: Library of the Extreme III - Fill Insanity.

Boasting more than one thousand different fills, played with butchering precision and offering an incredible diversity, this collection is likely to be your one-stop for any extreme metal fill. Just a simple drag and drop and you inject some of the mad genius of Dirk into your songs!

• More than one thousand different MIDI files, played by Dirk Verbeuren
• Straight / Swing variations in a wide range of different tempos
• Lead-in and stand-alone variations available in all tempos

Works with EZdrummer®, Superior Drummer® (optimized for 1 or 2 kicks, 1 snare, 2 toms, 1 floor-tom, 2 crash cymbals, 1 ride cymbal)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 22 2011, 09:12 PM
GMC:er
I've got the first two midi packs from the EXTREME collection and they are AWESOME smile.gif If you have not tried EzDrummer with Drums From Hell, it's worth a look.

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 22 2011, 01:05 PM) *
There aren't any good demos out there, most of them are amateur so didn't want to put them on. If a good one comes out, I'll place it smile.gif

Another great product for all you heavy metal drum programmers is new Toontrack's MIDI pack

Library of the Extreme - Fill Insanity

Dirk Verbeuren (Soilwork, Scarve) is back with the third pillar in his much appreciated series of extreme metal MIDI for drums: Library of the Extreme III - Fill Insanity.

Boasting more than one thousand different fills, played with butchering precision and offering an incredible diversity, this collection is likely to be your one-stop for any extreme metal fill. Just a simple drag and drop and you inject some of the mad genius of Dirk into your songs!

• More than one thousand different MIDI files, played by Dirk Verbeuren
• Straight / Swing variations in a wide range of different tempos
• Lead-in and stand-alone variations available in all tempos

Works with EZdrummer®, Superior Drummer® (optimized for 1 or 2 kicks, 1 snare, 2 toms, 1 floor-tom, 2 crash cymbals, 1 ride cymbal)

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Nov 22 2011, 10:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 21 2011, 11:43 AM) *

This is an awesome AI. If I were in the market for one again, I would definitely pick this one up.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Nov 22 2011, 10:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 22 2011, 05:02 PM) *

The first time I see this model, according to YT- not bad at all!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 22 2011, 11:39 PM
Instructor
Yeah, all these picks should be interesting, and they have gone out recently, so they can be interesting. MOTU is very good, it would probably be my choice for future interface too, also Gibson is definitely interesting as studio guitar, and MIDI pack is very cheap but great way to make better usage of your Toontrack (or other) VSTi drum of choice.

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Nov 23 2011, 05:05 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
wow, 4 inputs... that would be great to record acoustic duo live.. interesting. smile.gif Very reasonable!!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 23 2011, 05:29 PM
Instructor
Amazing topic Ivan! Thanks for this info!

Line 6 new interface for Iphones is also ready... I don't have an iphone but it's awesome how many things you can do with it...

http://line6.com/mobilein/

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 23 2011, 09:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Nov 23 2011, 05:05 PM) *
wow, 4 inputs... that would be great to record acoustic duo live.. interesting. smile.gif Very reasonable!!

yeah, and from what I see, it has some functions as a mixer even without PC, which can be very useful sometimes! smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 23 2011, 05:29 PM) *
Amazing topic Ivan! Thanks for this info!

Line 6 new interface for Iphones is also ready... I don't have an iphone but it's awesome how many things you can do with it...

http://line6.com/mobilein/

This is awesome portable solution Gab! smile.gif I'll check some reviews and get back on this one smile.gif

Aaaand for today we have yet another awesome piece of gear for bassists (one that I tested myself and it works awesome). Price tag is extremely good for this level of quality:

Ampeg BA-115! (~330$ @ 23.11.2011)

The BA-115 is a solid-state model aimed at players that need a bit more power for bigger gigs. Truly designed for live performance, the BA-115 pushes 100 watts through its custom 15-inch woofer, plus the XLR DI output easily connects to a PA or mixer. Designed to meet the needs of today's multi-string bass player, the BA115's mid tone control lets you dial in the perfect amount of punch, so your tone will punch through the mix. Solid Ampeg tone, with conventional functionality, the BA115.

Portable Ampeg tone
When you need a portable rig with legendary Ampeg tone, look no further than the BA115. This powerful combo features a 100-Watt power section and a single 15" Ampeg speaker that can rock a small- to medium-sized venue. Just plug in and you're ready to rock!

Five preset tones to choose from
No matter what sound you're after, the Style Control puts absolute tone at your fingertips. With five presets to choose from, and the tone-sculpting capabilities of an onboard 3-band EQ, you'll be dialed in before the drummer can finish setting up his high-hat.

Tilt-back design
The BA115's monitor-style, tilt-back design allows you to put the sound where you want it, which is especially handy when you're using the built-in DI for recording or front of house applications. Rock-solid construction and Ampeg thump to go, the BA115.

Ampeg BA-115 Features:

RMS Power Output: 100-Watts
LF Driver: 1 x 15" Custom Ampeg Speaker
HF Driver: Piezo Tweeter
Preamp: Solid-State
Power Amp: Solid-State
Tone Controls: 3-Band EQ
Mid Tone Control: Style
Balanced Line Out: Yes
CD/MP3 Input: Yes
Headphone Output: Yes
Dimensions (W x H x D inches): 21 x 21 x 16
Weight: 62 Pounds

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 24 2011, 09:48 PM
Instructor
Today we have something very interesting for audio producers, and this is not only a guitar software synth, it's something a lot bigger, check out the demo video for some samples! smile.gif

Sample Logic Cinematic Guitars (~370$ @ 24.11.2011)

Here's a great review:

An Epic Collection of Guitar Sounds!

Here's a collection that's dream-come-true for many modern composers and songwriters. Whether you're looking for the perfect instrumental texture for a dramatic moment in a film or just some original sounds to make your music pop out from the rest, Sample Logic's Cinematic Guitars has a whole collection of sounds that will fit the bill. From relatively straight-forward guitars to pad-like morphs and flat-out mutation, Cinematic Guitars contains a complete collage of sounds humanly (and in some case, inhumanly) possible to make with a guitar. To get these results, Sample Logic called in composer/guitarist Steve Ouimette to play, manipulate, and abuse the better part of 1,000 instruments in this library. The result: one fantastic collection of guitar sounds. You can load Cinematic in Native Instruments's Kontakt, or use the included Kontakt player, so even if you don't own Kontakt yet, you're all set.

Sample Logic Cinematic Guitars Sample Library/Instrument Features at a Glance:

Includes over 1,000 instruments and multis (combination instruments) recorded and processed at 24-bit/44.1k
Contains 9 GB sample library (uncompressed)/5.8 GB via Kontakt's lossless sample storage compression
Instrument categories include: Atmosphere/ambient soundscapes and stinger construction kits, Morphed guitars, synths, and pads, Melodic and percussive tempo-synced loops, Melodic and percussive arpeggiated/gated instruments, Percussive impacts, big hit ensembles, and kits, and Swipes, scrapes, and reverse transitional effects
Over 125 score-ready multis
Requires Kontakt Player 4.1.1 or higher, which works as in Stand-alone, RTAS, AU, and VST formats
Native 64-bit support for stand-alone and plug-in versions on both Mac and PC

Minimum System Requirements:

PC: Windows® XP (SP2, 32bit) / Vista® (32/64 Bit), Windows 7® (32/64 Bit), Pentium® or Athlon XP 1.4 GHz, 1 GB RAM
Mac: Mac OS® X 10.5 or higher, Intel® Core Duo 1.66 GHz, 1 GB RAM
Minimum of 2 GB RAM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 25 2011, 07:13 AM
Instructor
wou! those sounds are very inspiring! I like this collection of samples.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 25 2011, 03:30 PM
Instructor
I agree Gab, it looks quite good. I can recognize some samples here from NI Kontakt, it seems they are packing them as different products too. NI Kontakt library is awesome, it features all samples for band, but also traditional, ethinc, world, classical orchestra... Samples are a bit thin in the mix, and they can be stiff and flat, but it's great to have them around. I think they are better then most of the products out there (Spectrasonics has one of the best sounding samples these days as far as synths/samplers go).

And another cool cheap addition for studios. Alesis puts out two new mic pres, single and dual channel devices. Here's single channel device, a tube mic pre that is highly affordable and signed by Alesis. Great way to add nice tube warmth and modern low-noise design to the mic signal:

Alesis MicTube Solo (~70$ @ 25.11.2011)

Vintage Tube Tone at a Great Price
The Alesis MicTube Solo mic/instrument preamp features a 12AX7 tube for a vintage tone with a modern, low-noise design. Inputs for mic, line, and instrument sources make this the ideal preamp for smaller studios that need versatility - but pro studios should take note too! The low-noise design and warm-but-detailed character make the MicTube Solo a solid preamp for any task.

The MicTube Solo gives you 48V phantom power, polarity reverse, 80Hz highpass filter, and a +20dB Gain-boost button for ultimate flexibility in your studio. The Gain control gives you up to 65dB of clean gain, while the Drive control lets you heat up that tube until your sound is as old-school as you like.

With a hi-Z input for instruments and line inputs (balanced and unbalanced) too, the MicTube Solo is ready and willing to inject serious energy into anything you want. If you want a clinically-sterile sounding mic pre, look elsewhere - for serious vibe, plug into the Alesis MicTube Solo.

Alesis MicTube Solo Features at a Glance:

Mic, Line, and Instrument level inputs give you maximum recording flexibility
Drive control gives you power over how much tube tone you want to add
Vintage-style VU meter on the front panel gives you accurate level information, and looks great!
Designed with a minimized internal signal path for extremely low noise
Space-saving design is perfect for home and project studios

Specification Detail

Preamp Type Tube
Number of Channels 1
Phantom Power Yes
EQ No
Compression No
Analog Inputs 1 x XLR, 1 x 1/4" (Hi-Z)
Analog Outputs 1 x XLR, 1 x 1/4"
Digital Inputs No Digital Inputs
Digital Outputs No Digital Outputs
Other I/O No Other I/O
Computer Connectivity No Computer Connectivity

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 25 2011, 05:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 22 2011, 01:02 PM) *

Premium poplar body
Mahogany neck
Baked Maple Fretboard
25.5" scale length
Gig Bag included

Specification Detail

Body Material Poplar
Color Gold Top
Neck Shape Slim Taper
Scale Length 25.5"
Fingerboard Inlay Dots
Number of Frets 22
Nut Width 1.625"
Bridge/Tailpiece Fixed
Tuners Kluson Deluxe
Number of Pickups 2
Case Included Gig Bag

Nice guitar! I love Gibson guitars...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 26 2011, 06:04 PM
Instructor
Today, for all of those who want to upgrade studio microphone collection with one highly affordable Ribbon Mic:

sE Electronics Voodoo VR1 Passive Ribbon Microphone (price: ~690$ @ 26.11.2011)

What makes the Voodoo VR1 perform amazingly well across its 20Hz-18kHz frequency response, however, is a breakthrough mechanical design concept introduced by sE CEO, Siwei Zou. The impact this patent-pending design has on the Voodoo VR1 is phenomenal! Use the Voodoo VR1 on vocals and get astonishingly natural sounding results. Put it on drums and you'll be amazed by its open and detailed imaging. And the Voodoo VR1 really shines on guitar cabinets and acoustic instruments. If you're already a ribbon lover, this mic will exceed your expectations, and if you're new to ribbons, the Voodoo VR1 is the perfect place to start!

sE Electronics Voodoo VR1 Passive Ribbon Microphone Features at a Glance:

Operating Principle: Pressure Gradient
Diaphragm: 2? aluminium ribbon
Frequency Response: 20Hz-18KHz
Sensitivity: 1.6mV/Pa -56 ± 1.5dB
Polar Pattern: Figure 8
Impedance: less than or equal to 300 Ohms
Equivalent Noise Level: 17dB(A weighted)
Max SPL for 0.5% THD@1000Hz: 135dB
Connector: 3-pin

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 27 2011, 12:10 PM
Instructor
Today we have new Rokit Midfield Monitors, at excellent price, suitable for every studio looking for larger monitors for midfield monitoring:

KRK Rokit Powered 10-3 Active Studio Monitor (price ~490$ each @ 27.11.2011)

Great 3-way Solution for Midfield Monitoring!

Get precise midfield monitor performance from KRK's Rokit Powered 10-3 midfield 3-way powered active monitors. If you need accurate monitoring for your larger project studio or commercial facility, these midfield monitors have what it takes. A 140W amp drives the 10" and 4" glass aramid composite LF and MF drivers, as well as the 1" neodymium soft dome tweeter. The glass aramid composite is very rigid and responsive, for amazing transient response and detail. And with the adjustable MF and HF design, you'll get ideal performance no matter how you place the KRK Rokit Powered 10-3 active monitors in your studio.

Performance-packed midrange

The 3-way design of the KRK Rokit Powered 10-3 gives you fantastic accuracy in midrange frequencies. By designating 400Hz-3.75kHz to the mid-frequency driver you'll enjoy clear monitoring in this highly critical range, without the masking or distortion from lower frequencies you get in some 2-way speaker designs.

Axis control

The KRK Rokit Powered 10-3 can be placed either horizontally or vertically, thanks to the rotatable MF/HF driver baffle. That means that no matter how you have your control room laid out, you'll be able to integrate the Rokit Powered 10-3 monitors without sacrificing monitoring performance.

Ported design

To maximize low frequency output without compromising accuracy, the KRK Rokit Powered 10-3 monitors sport a front-ported design. While rear-ported designs can cause boundary coupling with nearby corners and walls, the front-ported Rokit Powered 10-3 extends low frequency response without creating boundary issues.

KRK Rokit Powered 10-3 Active Studio Monitor Features:

3-way midfield monitor with a front-ported design is an ideal powered monitoring solution for larger project and commercial studios
Excellent midrange accuracy and definition from the 3-way design
Rotatable MF/HF driver allows both horizontal and vertical placement
Glass aramid composite LF and MF drivers provide precise transient response
Max SPL of 113dB allows you to accurately work with even the most dynamic program material

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 28 2011, 07:13 PM
Instructor
If you're looking for a guitar for a modern gig, check out this new highly affordable Jackson with rock solid features that stood the test of time, and it's dazzling fancy look:

Jackson Soloist SLSXMG (price ~600$ @ 28.11.2011)

Specification Detail

Body Material Basswood
Top Material Quilt Maple Veneer
Body Finish Gloss Polyester
Color Natural
Neck Material Maple, Neck-through-body
Neck Shape Radiused
Scale Length 25.5"
Fingerboard Material Rosewood, 12"-16" compound radius
Fingerboard Inlay Pearloid Sharkfin
Number of Frets 24
Nut Width 1.6875"
Bridge/Tailpiece Floyd Rose Special Tremolo
Tuners Sealed Die-Cast Tuners
Number of Pickups 2
Neck Pickup EMG 85 Humbucker
Middle Pickup No middle pickup
Bridge Pickup EMG 81 Humbucker
Controls Master Volume, Master Tone, 3-way pickup selector
Case Included No Case Included

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Nov 28 2011, 07:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 30 2011, 11:02 PM
Instructor
Awesome new device for those interested in guitar synthesis! smile.gif

Roland GR-55 (~600e @ 30.11.2011)

some of the sounds available

Here's info from official site:

A New Era of Sound, Power, & Performance

The Roland GR-55 is a revolution in guitar synthesis, with features never before available in any guitar processor. In terms of speed, it’s the fastest ever. It’s also the most accurate, thanks to newly developed pitch-detection technology. As for sound, the triple-core generator houses a world-class array of virtual guitars, basses, amps, and synth voices, enabling tones and textures that have never been heard before. Onstage or in the studio, you can instantly access the GR-55’s huge library of ready-to-use sounds, from pop to rock and beyond, with quick-access category buttons. Welcome to a groundbreaking new era in guitar synthesis!

- A revolutionary fusion of guitar synthesis and powerful COSM guitar modeling
- Up to four sound sources at a time: two PCM synth tones, plus COSM guitar modeling and normal guitar input
- Easy to use and easy to play with hundreds of great, ready-to-use sounds for rock or pop guitarists
- Advanced Roland technology provides superb sound quality and lightning-fast processing
- Over 900 of Roland’s latest fully editable PCM sounds, including pianos, organs, strings, vintage synths, and much more
- COSM guitar and amp modeling
- Two types of multi-effects engines, plus global reverb, chorus, and delay effects, and an onboard looper
- Built-in USB audio player with foot control
- Available with or without GK-3 Divided Pickup

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:21 AM