The Light Bulb Conspiracy, The Pyramid Of Waste
Mudbone
May 9 2011, 08:05 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
This is a documentary about planned obsolescence. Most of the consumer goods we purchase today are engineered to fail after being used for a predetermined length of time. A printer is a perfect example of this. There is a chip in it that actually prevents the printer from functioning after it has been used a certain number of times.

Its a very interesting documentary and will definitely make you reconsider your role as a consumer.

This link is for the version with English subtitles. The documentary is in English but there are moments where people speak German or French and the subtitles are in Norwegian I believe. The Pyramid of Waste

Or you can just watch it on Youtube without the English subtitles.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Ivan Milenkovic
May 9 2011, 10:28 AM
Instructor
Similar topic is being covered in Zeitgeist 3. It's a good and very serious topic. It shows that many things are wrong with today's system. I hope Mankind will be able to fix it before it's too late sad.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
May 9 2011, 11:43 AM
Learning Tone Master
Did not watch the documentary yet, but:

Sounds less like a conspiracy than forced artificial scarcity, which most people accept the world will be rotating around even more in the future. If we could create anything out of nothing for 1$, noone would need to work and everyone would be poor. And example is e-books in bookstores. We -could- just buy it from the author, but going around publishers and different companies just doing forced artificial scarcity, driving up the price, more people end up getting salaries from what you buy.
If everyone copied from one file, or just downloaded music, games, software, etc - there are a lot of people who doesn't get paid. If everyone buy music directly from the artist, there are also a lot people who doesn't get paid. In a world with too many people, more people needs to get paid, not less. Even if their work could be eliminated. tongue.gif
There is no way capitalism would work if noone needed anything, or if noone had jobs.

5 Reasons The Future Will Be Ruled By B.S.

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: May 9 2011, 11:52 AM

+Quote Post
Fran
May 9 2011, 01:20 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ May 9 2011, 12:43 PM) *

Nice read smile.gif I laughed a lot with the embedded iphone youtube vid in there too laugh.gif

I'll watch those vids/films when I find the time too

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Justin Myrick
May 9 2011, 04:30 PM
GMC Administrator
Great post! It's quite amazing the extent at which producers will go to increase consumption. I wonder which manufactures have altered that of the guitar world. Maybe strings! ...at least the ones mudbone has been buying smile.gif

--------------------
About Me

Cheers,
Justin Myrick
GMC Administrator

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 9 2011, 08:53 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Thanks a lot for sharing this! I'm going to watch this documentary in full as I'm interested in the subject covered.
We can see this in all the industries - lately I've been looking into pinball machines and found out that they are also made to "malfunction" as industry hate's the quality ones that don't need replacing! Too bad everything else is done using this recipe.

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: May 9 2011, 08:54 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
May 9 2011, 09:45 PM
Learning Tone Master
But if things didn't break, economy would go under tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 9 2011, 11:17 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Justin Myrick @ May 9 2011, 11:30 AM) *
Great post! It's quite amazing the extent at which producers will go to increase consumption. I wonder which manufactures have altered that of the guitar world. Maybe strings! ...at least the ones mudbone has been buying smile.gif

You could be right about the strings biggrin.gif But as far as guitars themselves, I don't think there is any planned obsolescence. Theres no need for it. Guitar manufacturers do such a great job with the marketing that many guitarists think they need more than one guitar. But if you think about it, you really only need just one guitar. An HSS Strat with a piezo pickup can cover every type of guitar music. Heck, a guitar with one humbucker can do it.

A perfect example of this is the Fender line of guitars. Every year it seems they release a version of the Strat or Tele that is even closer to vintage specs as the previous model. Why can't they just make an authentic vintage guitar from the get-go? Do they not have the blue prints and an original on hand? Of course they do. But from a marketing perspective, it makes no sense to release a pure vintage guitar.

Another great example is their road worn series. This is quite a feat. They managed to convince people to pay more for a brand new guitar that was beat up. I must admit though, they look cool and play great.

The whole "vintage" thing going on right now is marketing genius. There is nothing special about vintage gear, as far as the individual components are concerned. Pickups have got to be the biggest rip off in the realm of guitar gear. The most difficult aspect of making a pickup is winding it. And when compared to other manufacturing methods, it is relatively simple.

Here is something that I think should qualify as a scam - the much vaunted JRC 4558 Op Amp. This op Amp is what many believe gives the original tube screamer its sacred tone. Modern Boutique pedal companies charge an arm and a leg for this opAmp. The reality is this opAmp was chosen by Maxxon because it was cheap, not for its tonal qualities. The way people talk about makes it seem like it fell out of a unicorns bum bum.

There is some guitar equipment that I believe has a planned lifespan. The main culprits? Line6 and most modelling amps. Almost every piece of Line6 gear I have ever came across crapped out.

Now, for an admission of guilt. I am in possession of more than one guitar. And more than one amp. In fact, I plan on getting even more guitars and amps and pedals. Those marketing demons have hijacked my mind.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:44 PM