2 Pages V   1 2 >  
How Do You Store Your Guitars?
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 15 2013, 01:01 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
How do you store your guitars?
Do you have them in hard cases, gig bags, floor stands, wall stands or...?

What is the best way to store a guitar when not playing it? On the stand or in the case? What is your opinion?

I preffer to have my guitars hanging on the wall stands. That way I feel I'm saving a bit of space in the room and also all the guitars are very accessible. Lately, I've been having my main bass sitting in the hardcase when I'm not playing it but I don't like the procedure of getting it out and everything whenever I want to play it. It's much easier to pick it up from the wall or floor stand.

For travel - I use hardcases only. Looking at how much wear and tear they show from all the gigging via bus transport - I think I have saved the instruments a lot. Gig bags even though very practical and light don't give me much confidence for this kind of thing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 15 2013, 06:08 PM
GMC:er
Even though I live in a pretty temperate/stable clime (So. Cal) my repairman always says to store a guitar that's *not being played, in it's case or gigbag. Preferably standing up in a dry room.

*not being played as in don't leave it out on a stand for a month. Or if you do - check it, tune it, dust it and make sure it's in a room where the temp and humidity at least don't fluctuate wildly.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 15 2013, 06:08 PM

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Feb 15 2013, 06:17 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero

I just put up all my guitars on wall hangers a couple weeks ago. It saves a decent amount of space, keeps them out of harm's way, and I just like how they look hanging on the wall.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Feb 15 2013, 06:25 PM
All my guitars are on wall hangers...Hung by their necks under the headstock, nothing more.
They are more inviting this way..just grab one off the wall...also it makes my kids do the same.

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Feb 15 2013, 06:26 PM

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Feb 15 2013, 06:38 PM
Learning Tone Master
Floor stand.

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Feb 15 2013, 06:42 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
my good guitars when i do not use them right now i put into the hardcase i think safest place cool.gif

and best to close them rolleyes.gif

i remember a friend of my`n with 3 little children - he owns a Martin steel string for around 4000 EU and always stored it in hard case but without closing the top biggrin.gif until the day one of his child was jumping into the case mad.gif

and two i use right now beside me in floor stands

my cheap guitar i always keep in floor stand

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Feb 15 2013, 07:20 PM
Wall hangers. Like everyone has said, it makes them more accessible and inviting.... and like Joe said, I like to see them as well. wink.gif

I tend to cycle through all of my guitars. I do keep two floor stands for the two that are being played at the time. It's my queue, I swap out to the wall and keep them circulating around the room on the hangars. They don't get stagnant that way. LOL!

I've got a couple more wall hangars the the two left in the cases, going to paint the walls before hanging the rest. It looks like a guitar shop down here and that's what I like to see when I have down time away from work..... things that relax me.... unless I can't get that solo down. mad.gif LOL...

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 16 2013, 12:47 AM
I use a pretty simple guitar rack to keep them all close at hand smile.gif I use a drum kit dust cover to keep them from collecting too much dust.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
MHD Pickups
Feb 23 2013, 03:00 AM
You know for years i have heard keep them in this or keep them in that. For 35 years mine have sat in a chair on my bench etc........ Once a neck is stable and if the carve is done right and the neck allowed to rest prior to more work it can go through hell. My good friend Roman Rist has guitars being built that go from 115 degrees in the sumer to 35 in the winter and none have neck issues. Now if it a nitro finish and you do not want checking then climate control comes into play.

For me my stuff gets played every day so they are lying on the amp, shop couch, work bench etc..... Now i play some pretty thin necks and my temp varies fro 22 degrees to 65 degrees and still n o need for a setup. Just sayin g.

There is a lot of hype when it comes to this stuff. Take care of it as ypu will but for me I play mine like I stolem.

--------------------
http://mhd-pickups.com/

https://www.facebook.com/mhd.pickups

DC DOES NOT EQUAL OUTPUT. Dc is a resistance value and that is all. It WILL NOT tell you what it will sound like, it WILL NOT make you sound like another player.

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Feb 28 2013, 11:12 AM
Instructor
LOL, a few days ago I got 3 wall stands ! Guitars really scream for a - take me now !!!

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 28 2013, 03:06 PM
Learning Roadie
I just have a floor stand. I haven't lived in a permanent place yet where I can even think about wall mounts.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 17 2013, 11:18 AM
Instructor
I store my guitars mostly in cases with some silca gel package for longer strings life. I hang one or two on the wall hangs while doing some recordings. smile.gif

Also...I try to keep the humidity as close as possible to 50%. I have a humidity meter. If it goes below 50% I make some peace of cloth wet and let it dry close to the guita hangs.

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Mar 17 2013, 11:21 AM

+Quote Post
Amp360
May 16 2013, 04:36 AM
In my office I have one wall with two cases that hold 14 guitars. I keep the majority of stuff that I use every day in there. I have another case like this on the other side of the room that I keep my weird recording stuff (baritone, bass vi, lap steel, dobro, variax (i use it for the banjo/sitar), etc... in.

Then I have some guitars hanging on one wall:

Then I have my more expensive guitars (or ones that are rare or in really nice shape) in a closet that holds a bunch of cases.

I am lucky to live in a big house, so I actually have a room in the lower level where I store the majority of the stuff I don't use often in cases. I have everything labeled so I know what it is if I'm looking for something.

--------------------
company contact
www.sparkletune.com
https://www.facebook.com/sparkletune
https://twitter.com/sparkletune1

my personal blog:
www.tanpants.net

thank you to john at GMC for inviting me to join this forum

+Quote Post
dcz702
May 16 2013, 05:57 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Amp360 @ May 16 2013, 03:36 AM) *
In my office I have one wall with two cases that hold 14 guitars. I keep the majority of stuff that I use every day in there. I have another case like this on the other side of the room that I keep my weird recording stuff (baritone, bass vi, lap steel, dobro, variax (i use it for the banjo/sitar), etc... in.

Then I have my more expensive guitars (or ones that are rare or in really nice shape) in a closet that holds a bunch of cases.

I am lucky to live in a big house, so I actually have a room in the lower level where I store the majority of the stuff I don't use often in cases. I have everything labeled so I know what it is if I'm looking for something.

I like how there hung on the wall. You didn't drill into the wall itself, is that a piece for the set up that the hangers go into.. Impressive collection man.

This post has been edited by dcz702: May 16 2013, 05:57 AM

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
May 16 2013, 07:17 AM
QUOTE (Amp360 @ May 16 2013, 04:36 AM) *

Your collection is out of this world.How many guitars do you own

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 16 2013, 08:12 AM
Instructor
Nice stuff man! I did store my guitar on the wall on the floor stands but when some of them weren't in Use for some time the strings were dead faster than while storing each one in the case. Sometimes I change the strings, record the song and guitar goes to the case. I was I bit angry once I didn't use it for a month and strings looked like after 3 monts of playing...

+Quote Post
Amp360
May 16 2013, 11:50 AM
Thanks. I hung them on the wall using something called Guardian. You can buy it at Lowes for about $8.00 for a 4 foot section. I put it up with very long deck screws. The hooks are the hooks to hold shovels.

I have more guitars then I should, I think I have about 60 or 70 guitars right now.

Here is a color picture:

This post has been edited by Amp360: May 16 2013, 07:44 PM

--------------------
company contact
www.sparkletune.com

my personal blog:
www.tanpants.net

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 17 2013, 06:02 AM
How do you keep dust off of them? My guitars seem to be dust magnets!!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 17 2013, 08:27 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 17 2013, 06:02 AM) *
How do you keep dust off of them? My guitars seem to be dust magnets!!

Sounds familiar biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Amp360
May 17 2013, 11:34 AM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ May 17 2013, 07:27 AM) *
Sounds familiar biggrin.gif

This is the stuff I use a lot so they don't sit all that much. When I change strings I always clean everything as well. The stuff that sits is all in the cases.

--------------------
company contact
www.sparkletune.com

my personal blog:
www.tanpants.net

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:21 PM