Transposing The Caged
ElHombre
Dec 13 2013, 03:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hello

Previously I worked with the 7 shapes per key and i played my arpeggios from root A or E.
Now I have learned the caged system as well.

Its only in the most common keys and for CAGED I have mostly done the arpeggios in G.
Now I try to vizualise all 5 shapes of the 7 chords in the key on the fretboard connected to scales etc.

I heard someone talk about the cycle of fourths, and how to transpose the caged.
I might be on thin ice now but it was only "4 ways" you had to learn it.

Well I did not understand that really.
So basically when u get your fretboard knowledge down in one key, how do you transpose it in a good way
to other keys

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Professor
Dec 13 2013, 03:45 PM
Theory Instructor
Good question! One of the best ways is to take one shape, say the C shape, and practice that in all 12 keys. Then do the A shape, G shape and so on until you've covered. That's a great way to work in all keys with CAGED. Try it out and see what you think.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
klasaine
Dec 13 2013, 04:34 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (The Professor @ Dec 13 2013, 06:45 AM) *
take one shape, say the C shape, and practice that in all 12 keys. Then do the A shape, G shape and so on until you've covered. That's a great way to work in all keys with CAGED.

+1 to that.

The only thing I would add to that is not to do it chromatically. That's way too easy for guitar players as you don't need to think at all - just move your hand.
In order to retain the knowledge so you can use it and apply it to other keys quickly you'll need to 'think' a little while you're beginning to transpose. i.e., the circle of 4th's idea ...
C F Bb Eb Ab Db Gb B (or Cb) E A D G
*Or do that backwards from G (circle of 5th's)

The next step is to pick a song that you already know that has maybe between 3 and 6 differently named chords.
Play all the chords and learn the song using only one of the CAGED shapes - preferably a shape that you're not too familiar using.
Next transpose that to a new key a 4th or 5th away.

*Extra credit - take that same song and try to play all the chords in one position using the various CAGED shapes (you may have cheat a fret here and there). Then transpose that up a 4th.

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Dec 14 2013, 06:28 PM
GMC:er
I'm glad this thread started as I'm doing the caged shapes(again mellow.gif) at the moment, but in Dominant 7 shapes for the blues and I'm looking for ways to memorise everything...This being tied in with the major,minor/Maj Pent scales and Dom 7th arpeggios...So pretty similar to you ElHombre. I think this is good advice from The Prof and Klasaine.

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Dec 14 2013, 06:29 PM

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Dec 14 2013, 07:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (The Professor @ Dec 13 2013, 02:45 PM) *
Good question! One of the best ways is to take one shape, say the C shape, and practice that in all 12 keys. Then do the A shape, G shape and so on until you've covered. That's a great way to work in all keys with CAGED. Try it out and see what you think.

So I would then go trough the circle for example.
Play C maj7 C shape, G maj7 C shape, D Maj7 C shape etc..

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Professor
Dec 14 2013, 07:07 PM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Dec 14 2013, 06:06 PM) *
So I would then go trough the circle for example.
Play C maj7 C shape, G maj7 C shape, D Maj7 C shape etc..

Yeah or chromatically. As long as you hit all 12 keys whatever cycle you prefer would be cool.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:52 PM