Patronising Music Store?, Are there others?
Becca
May 13 2014, 07:42 PM
GMC:er
Grrrr! mad.gif mad.gif I just got home from work and I cannot believe what a colleague told me happened to his fifteen year old son at the weekend. This lad has been playing guitar since he was eleven. Started at school and has kept going since. His dad tells me he is getting really good and is now in the school band. Good for him. I am always pleased to see youngsters who are keen to improve their skill levels.
We know how much hard graft and determination it takes, don't we?
Anyway he has had an electric guitar now since Christmas ,and has been saving his pocket money and cash from his weekend job in the kitchen of a pub near his house to buy an effect pedal. His Dad didn't know what it was called but by his description, it sounds like the EHX Freeze pedal. The one that keeps a note going as long as you like? yeah? That one.
He went into the town where he lives to the music store on the Saturday morning before he went to work. The dude behind the counter was on the computer so the boy waited politely.
and waited.
And waited.
The guy knew he was there but totally ignored him. The lad said "excuse m......" but the guy cut him short by holding his hand up to him to stop while he continued to stare at the screen.
Eventually he turned away from the laptop and said "Yes". My colleague describes the tone of voice he used as the same as if you were rolling your eyeballs skywards.
The lad asked if he could see the Freeze pedal.
The guy pointed at it through the glass counter he was sat behind. "There it is".
By now the lad said he felt really humiliated by this guy, but he persisted any way. "I would like to try it out, please."
The guy refused to let him try it.
I will say that again.
The guy refused to let him try the pedal.
The boy had enough of this jerk by now and said "never mind. I'll get it online instead".
As he left, the guy said "real musicians know what they are buying".
Implying, I think that we don't need to try goods before parting with our cash.
Now, I find this story shocking.
I can't believe someone with a business would talk down to a customer like that.
My local music store was great. They always had time for everyone, even the youngsters and beginners. ESPECIALLY the youngsters and beginners.
I hope you lot are as cross as I am for that lad.
Have any of you been treated like this?
Have I just been lucky with my music stores and is this the norm?
Please let me know what you think.
Peace people,

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Spock
May 13 2014, 08:13 PM
I say we ALL call the bastard and ask him to play that pedal over the phone for us cause the last one we got when we were there didn't work and we want to make sure this one does before we come down to get it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
dcz702
May 13 2014, 08:24 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I had a bad experience at GC last week. Bought a power supply that was DOA. I WAS TOLD that I hooked it up wrong, and that my pedals were taking up to much power causing the supply to blow. Was BS. It was dead when I got it. After exchanging the 2nd one was missing cables. Went back they offered a third one, refused, took my money back went to a different store and my pedal board is working great now.

+Quote Post
Spock
May 13 2014, 08:25 PM
Or we could say, "Ello, me names Bruce Dickinson an me son was just there and said the twat behind the counta wouldn't let him test a pedal. I'm on my way there now and I would like to inquire as to which clerk shall be the recipient of this can of whoop-ass I'm about to open up -aye?

+Quote Post
Becca
May 13 2014, 09:59 PM
QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 13 2014, 07:24 PM) *
I had a bad experience at GC last week. Bought a power supply that was DOA. I WAS TOLD that I hooked it up wrong, and that my pedals were taking up to much power causing the supply to blow. Was BS. It was dead when I got it. After exchanging the 2nd one was missing cables. Went back they offered a third one, refused, took my money back went to a different store and my pedal board is working great now.

Definitely did the right thing there. It's so annoying when stores treat us as clueless. Voted with your feet, Good Form. But really you would think that having screwed up the first time for you, they would have taken extra care to check your replacement had all the parts it needed before sending you on your way. Glad your board is fully ready now. smile.gif

QUOTE (Spock @ May 13 2014, 07:25 PM) *
Or we could say, "Ello, me names Bruce Dickinson an me son was just there and said the twat behind the counta wouldn't let him test a pedal. I'm on my way there now and I would like to inquire as to which clerk shall be the recipient of this can of whoop-ass I'm about to open up -aye?

Oh Spock you really made laugh. laugh.gif That is such a fun idea. There is no beating your Vulcan logic. Shame my fella is Welsh, his accent would never pass as Bruce Dickinson. I suppose he could say he was Tom Jones but the implied threat level is so much less. Although , come to think of it, Lemmy spent a lot of time living in South Wales....
I am glad it got other people riled as well as me. After I typed it and posted I felt much better and thought I may have over reacted. But reading it again ,now I can feel myself being annoyed all over again.
What a git he is.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
May 13 2014, 10:08 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
what's the name of the store?
would the 'assistant' be a young guy himself, maybe like a saturday worker? Im just really curious because Ive never had that kind of experience in a music store.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Becca
May 13 2014, 10:18 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ May 13 2014, 09:08 PM) *
what's the name of the store?
would the 'assistant' be a young guy himself, maybe like a saturday worker? Im just really curious because Ive never had that kind of experience in a music store.

Don't know the name of the store but it is in or near Bristol. I was pretty surprised too. Every store I used has been very good. Helpful and considerate and enthusiastic. You could be right about the part timer, but still not good to treat someone like that. When I buy stuff that I know, I tend to shop online for cheaper prices. There is still a friendly exchange of emails usually. Even if its a "thanks for your custom" thang. It sounds like this place wouldnt give you the time of day.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 13 2014, 10:49 PM
I get so angry when I read such things, specially since he's just a kid mad.gif

I do read where I live such things happen too, specially in the smaller stores which I've never heard of or doesn't have much reputation...in another city I read that one of the stores reputation got so bad the owner changed the store name. Usually the complaints are they're trying to ripoff kid by selling stuff more expensive or used as new...

Its actually a damaging experience for a kid, I advise to select a different store and he should go with his dad there together to buy the pedal. Going to that crappy store again and arguing will only make things worse as the kid will feel even worse even though nothing is his fault...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 14 2014, 09:33 PM
Sadly there are a lot of burned out jerks working in music retail, but there are also plenty of good folks smile.gif Just like going in to any store, sometimes the "help" just sorta sux. I"ve gotten rude folks before @ Guitar Center and others. But mostly it's pleasant smile.gif Given how young he is, I"m guessing the clerk thought he was just another tire kicker but that doesn't excuse it.

Many of the folks working in these places are not doing it because it's what they always wanted to do with their lives. Many are struggling musicians and this is the day job they have to keep. I've worked in music stores before and it can get pretty old pretty quick, but again, none of that excuses it.

In short, I'm not shocked as I've seen this quite a bit, but I usually just keep moving. smile.gif But It's always lame to hear about sad.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 15 2014, 08:40 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Not sure if they've improved but there used to be a music store in Liverpool that had a reputation for being patronising to anyone under the age of about 25. This was back when I was a teenager so hopefully they're better now... They would not let you try anything but on a 'good day' they might condescend to let you watch them demonstrate a guitar or amp. Many times though they wouldn't even do that, they would just tell you that if you were interested you should just buy it and stop wasting their time.

When we signed to RCA my friend went in and asked to see a Les Paul they had in the window the sales guy did the usual, 'I'll only get it down if you have the money. You kids just mess about and scratch the finish.' yadda, yadda, yadda.
So Col got the money out and laid it on the counter. The guy blushed and siad, 'OK I'll get it for you now.' He came back with it and put it on the counter. Col looked at it and the sales guy then he picked up his money and said,'Nah I'm just a kid and would only scratch the finish.' and walked out.
Col went and bought three LPs from a shop in London the follwoing week.

A bit OT but Col did something similar with the advance cheque. He'd had his bank acount at the same bank sinc he was a kid and they were always patronising to him when he went in as he usually had very little money. Anyway he went in with the advances cheque and asked to see the manager.
The cashier said, 'He's very busy. Much to busy to see you. You tell me what it's about.'
Col put the cheque on the counter and said, 'This'. The cashier went bright red and said, 'Ill just see if he's free' and scuttled away to come back a few minutes later and tell Col to go the manager's office.
Col did and went in. The manager said ' So how can we help you deposit the cheque.'
Col looked at him and said, 'Nah. I wnt to close my account.'

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Becca
May 17 2014, 11:41 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ May 15 2014, 07:40 AM) *
Not sure if they've improved but there used to be a music store in Liverpool that had a reputation for being patronising to anyone under the age of about 25. This was back when I was a teenager so hopefully they're better now... They would not let you try anything but on a 'good day' they might condescend to let you watch them demonstrate a guitar or amp. Many times though they wouldn't even do that, they would just tell you that if you were interested you should just buy it and stop wasting their time.

When we signed to RCA my friend went in and asked to see a Les Paul they had in the window the sales guy did the usual, 'I'll only get it down if you have the money. You kids just mess about and scratch the finish.' yadda, yadda, yadda.
So Col got the money out and laid it on the counter. The guy blushed and siad, 'OK I'll get it for you now.' He came back with it and put it on the counter. Col looked at it and the sales guy then he picked up his money and said,'Nah I'm just a kid and would only scratch the finish.' and walked out.
Col went and bought three LPs from a shop in London the follwoing week.

A bit OT but Col did something similar with the advance cheque. He'd had his bank acount at the same bank sinc he was a kid and they were always patronising to him when he went in as he usually had very little money. Anyway he went in with the advances cheque and asked to see the manager.
The cashier said, 'He's very busy. Much to busy to see you. You tell me what it's about.'
Col put the cheque on the counter and said, 'This'. The cashier went bright red and said, 'Ill just see if he's free' and scuttled away to come back a few minutes later and tell Col to go the manager's office.
Col did and went in. The manager said ' So how can we help you deposit the cheque.'
Col looked at him and said, 'Nah. I wnt to close my account.'

Oh EXCELLENT! What a great way to get your own back on the jerk. They say revenge is a dish best served cold. You will all be pleased to hear that my colleagues son bought his pedal online from a reputable music shop in Brighton. He was also told that if he tried it and it was not the effect he wanted then he could return it and choose another.
That's much better.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:37 AM