Back To Beginner !, Let's remember what it was like
Ben Higgins
Jul 17 2014, 07:23 PM
Instructor
So you've seen that there's a 1st part to a new Beginners Course that I made.

It made me think that we can share our own stories of how we began on the instrument and our early days of progressing through the basics.

Once I'd learned a few basic chords down at the 1st position I was able to bash a few progressions together with my rudimentary strumming technique. It didn't take me long to get a sense of rhythm. In fact I'd say it was already there.. that was probably the easiest part.

Discovering the mighty power chord was another big moment. I realised that this shape could be moved all over the neck to replicate almost any chord sound and enabled me to get quite close in mimicking songs that I was listening to.

One thing that was really tough was sliding. If a riff required me to slide from one fret to another my fingers would sort of wobble pathetically and the note would die out. I think this technique was one of the most annoying times I've had in my guitar journey !

The first solo I tried to learn was 'Hero of The Day' by Metallica. It wasn't even the real song. It was an excerpt on a Guitarist Magazine CD or one of the other major British guitar publications. I didn't actually know the song but I still learned it by ear. I remember that I played it on the B and high E strings down near the lower frets, different to how Kirk does it I think. But it served the same purpose. A lot of my early days was using what tools i had at my disposal and doing the best I could to sound like the songs I heard.

So, I've gone first now it's your turn. What was the first thing you worked on ? Do you remember some key steps in your learning ? Any other memories about your beginner days ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:02 PM