Learn Music With Do Re Mi In Spain
Headbanger
Jun 24 2013, 01:30 PM
GMC:er
Hey Matt.

My Kids are having to learn their music in Do Re Mi (In Spain) instead of C D E etc
I have found this really difficult to translate my knowledge to them...I have now found a way to transpose on the internet:

A = La
B = Si
C = Do
D = Re
E = Mi
F = Fa
G = Sol

To be honest its totally throwing me...but I am told that ABCDEFG is the least common and they will have to learn that do re mi system. I always thought it was just from the film 'The sound of Music'...but now I am finding out it is called Solfage. They called things Mi minor for E minor etc... I am sure you know.

Is it just me and my closed British mind? Or am I going mad? tongue.gif Is there nothing more than the transposition of name that I need to learn? laugh.gif

Tell me its not just me laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Jun 24 2013, 01:31 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jun 24 2013, 01:55 PM
Theory Instructor
Yeah, this can get confusing. It depends on what country you are in, but a lot do use Solfege (Do Re Mi) rather than note names. In the US, they even use moveable Do which makes things very confusing, so every tonic is Do. This means that if you are in the key of C, C is Do. If you are in the key of D, D is Do. Always confused me.

It's tough at first, but once you get a handle on it it becomes easy. I learned in Uni to do it, studying in Montreal, and haven't forgotten it since.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 24 2013, 02:07 PM
As you mentioned specally music training in classical music solfege is very important. I benefited from it a lot because not only you can read music just by looking at the notes (as much as possible, piano players are specially good at this). Its an excellent way to learn intervals.

In Turkey (with non-classical music training) a.b.c... is used as symbols like for written chords but we speak them as la, si, do...Keep in mind this do,re,mi...is also used in Berklee (at least when I was there for a course program in the near end of 90's) specially for solfege lessons.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jun 24 2013, 02:35 PM
QUOTE (The Professor @ Jun 24 2013, 02:55 PM) *
Yeah, this can get confusing. It depends on what country you are in, but a lot do use Solfege (Do Re Mi) rather than note names. In the US, they even use moveable Do which makes things very confusing, so every tonic is Do. This means that if you are in the key of C, C is Do. If you are in the key of D, D is Do. Always confused me.

It's tough at first, but once you get a handle on it it becomes easy. I learned in Uni to do it, studying in Montreal, and haven't forgotten it since.

I will just use the direct transposition of note names as I wrote above..The every tonic is a Do is going to be put into the back of my mind for now. laugh.gif I have to use the Spanish names for crotchets,quavers etc... Corchea, negra, blanca in addition to the solfege as my daughter doesn't want to use the quarter/half/eight naming system yet as they don't yet at school.
Thanks for replying...it seems wider spread than we initially assumed.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 24 2013, 03:07 PM) *
As you mentioned specally music training in classical music solfege is very important. I benefited from it a lot because not only you can read music just by looking at the notes (as much as possible, piano players are specially good at this). Its an excellent way to learn intervals.

In Turkey (with non-classical music training) a.b.c... is used as symbols like for written chords but we speak them as la, si, do...Keep in mind this do,re,mi...is also used in Berklee (at least when I was there for a course program in the near end of 90's) specially for solfege lessons.

Dude..You're right...its always good to learn different ways!

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jun 24 2013, 02:58 PM
Theory Instructor
Yeah, I can't get used to crotchets and quavers after moving to the UK. I still say 8th notes and 16ths etc. That to me is harder to get used to than Solfege.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 24 2013, 03:11 PM
Instructor
hahaha yeah! This is how I first learnt music here at Argentina, and it's the most used way in Music Schools. We refer to C saying DO, we use to write it but we always talk about Do, Re, Mi, Fa, Sol, La an Si. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 25 2013, 06:31 PM
I learned 'moveable' Do in school.

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jun 26 2013, 09:54 AM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 25 2013, 07:31 PM) *
I learned 'moveable' Do in school.

Do you use moveable Do in your thinking or playing?

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 26 2013, 03:55 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Same for me mate. Just like yours my daughter has been taught here in Spain and so knows the 'do, ray, me' whereas I know the notes as the N European classical notation. So we often have a communication breakdown when she asks music theory type questions etc.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 26 2013, 05:11 PM
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Jun 26 2013, 01:54 AM) *
Do you use moveable Do in your thinking or playing?

Essentially yes - when I think that way.
Mostly I think (or say) the letter note name or if I don't know the key (or the key doesn't need to be specified) then I use numbers i.e., I ii iii vi ii V I etc.

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 26 2013, 06:19 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
That's right, in Spain it's do re mi fa sol la si, we also find it weird the first time we learn about A B C D E F G, but it's only a matter of minutes, then you just know which is which, so no big deal cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jun 26 2013, 06:51 PM
do a dear a female dear re a drop of golden sun me a name i call my self fa a long long way to run so a needle pulling thread la a note to follow so te a drink with jam and bread that will bring us back to do o o o laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Jun 26 2013, 06:52 PM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 28 2013, 02:37 AM
An important clarification.
In the States, whether we learn 'movable' Do or just the note names we do not start with A.
It's CDEFGAB and/or do re mi fa so la ti - corresponding to a piano keyboard.

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jun 28 2013, 08:37 AM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 28 2013, 03:37 AM) *
An important clarification.
In the States, whether we learn 'movable' Do or just the note names we do not start with A.
It's CDEFGAB and/or do re mi fa so la ti - corresponding to a piano keyboard.

I don't think anywhere starts with A...If you are referring to my earlier post...then my apologies...it was a copy and paste from somewhere on the internet. smile.gif

+Quote Post
guitarsennin
Jul 12 2013, 03:43 PM
I kind of came to the moveable solfege system when I got into ear training. I started with transcribing basslines and what I found great about the moveable system was the once I found "do", I could compare every other note back to it and figure out the progression just by listening. I feel like that is a drawback to the fixed Do system, which has C always as Do, because for every key you'll have a different set of solfege to work with, so I feel that the moveable Do system has more advantages.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:56 PM