2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Hello From New Member...bobbyd In Nyc, It's a tad long but worth the read....promise.
FunktheBlues
Sep 14 2016, 10:23 AM
GMC:er
Hello new friends.......I accidentally stumbled on this gem of a website and joined immediately. I was already paying for two other subscription based instruction websites and I still had to join this site because I think it kicks ass. I have been playing for 40 years and learned a long time ago, the more I know, the more I don't know. I was smart enough to take a music theory course in my only year at SUNY Buffalo back in 1980. I am grateful I know theory because that laid the foundation for everything to follow. In 1980 my life changed forever because I lost my virginity and my guitar ego in same year. I thought I was hot shit on guitar because I was playing 4 years and could play almost anything I heard by ear. I remember learning Jessica by Allman Bros and could play also Statesboro Blues note-for-note on slide so I knew my chops were getting good. And I was a bit cocky. Then it happened and I realized how badly I sucked on guitar. We had a college bash and I saw am unknown band called the Dixie Dregs with this unknown guitarist named Steve Morse. I stained my panties, and I am sure quit guitar for a week I also quit college to become a rock star which didn't happen for me. The rub is it's going to happen during the second 1/2 of my life. More to follow. This is an amazing story but do not want thread too long. Let's just put it this way. I was in such a horrific accident at end of 2012, I was pronounced dead for over 2 minutes and spent 19 days in hospital. The injuries would boggle your minds so I will only tell you about one which was a traumatic brain injury and is the reason I am playing guitar again today. This was part of God's plan for me because he broke me down to nothing and spent 3 years rebuilding me into a better person and my guitar playing has never been as good. Not even close.

Stay Healthy and show off those calluses with pride & joy.

And yes, I saw SRVs very first gig in NYC in front of 100 people tops.
I was also good friends with Leslie West and spent time hanging & jamming with the Great Fatsby at his home. I would have to say, the best possible antithesis if you needed to compare two masters of the instrument would be Leslie & Yngwie.

More to follow and will be asking for some serous advice in next few posts about best courses, instructors, etc. Plus I have a great story because first video series I stumbled on this site was John Scofield series. I studied privately with him in mid 1980s for $100 hr which is like $350hr these days. I think I was able to join this site during a special for $100. One hour lesson with Scofield was same price to having access to this site for a year. That's mind boggling.

God Bless

Bobbyd_NYC

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 14 2016, 11:30 AM
Cool background! smile.gif I'm sure the instructors will chime in soon for help, before they do let me ask how are you with recording? video is not a must but being able to share audio of your playing here in time will be rewarding.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 14 2016, 12:27 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Great story, welcome to the family Bobby smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 14 2016, 12:48 PM
Instructor
Wellcome to the site! That's in fact a hell of a story you've been through. I think you have a huge experience "bag" we would love you to share with us as well smile.gif GMC is something more than a site with instructional vidoes. You can count on constant instructors feedback and some good advices from more experienced (playing wise) members.

What we usually ask first is to show us some of your playing. This will help us classify your skills for better feedback match.

You can also choose one of two instructors for your personall mentoring program. Ask Gab or Todd depending what kind of workouts you would love to make. I guess according to your music preferences Gabriel would be more aprioriate for the purpose. Of course you can always ask Todd for help as well. He can lead you through some "hand breaking" shred licks and runs smile.gif

Have a great time at GMC and see you on the forum!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 14 2016, 01:02 PM
Welcome to GMC!! smile.gif Small world. I had an auto accident myself and actually died. They were about to use the paddles (CLEAR!!!) on me, and I came back. I feel your pain!! This site is simply the best place for a musician to be to learn and grow IMHO. I've been hear 5 years and I still look forward to visiting every day smile.gif I"m one of our Staff Instructors so let me introduce myself, I"m Todd Simpson and I"m stoked your here wink.gif

We have "Mentoring" programs with myself and Gabe and Darius (other instructors) and you are welcome to mentor under both and keep one, or keep none as you feel led. We are here for you smile.gif

Just send me Personal Message on the mail system here (click on my icon pic and click send message) and we can get you started if you are up for it wink.gif

If not, there is plenty to do without mentoring, hundreds of lessons just waiting to be dug in to, a killer forum where folks are actually nice to each other, and collaboration projects galore!!!

Welcome smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (FunktheBlues @ Sep 14 2016, 05:23 AM) *
Hello new friends.......I accidentally stumbled on this gem of a website and joined immediately. I was already paying for two other subscription based instruction websites and I still had to join this site because I think it kicks ass. I have been playing for 40 years and learned a long time ago, the more I know, the more I don't know. I was smart enough to take a music theory course in my only year at SUNY Buffalo back in 1980. I am grateful I know theory because that laid the foundation for everything to follow. In 1980 my life changed forever because I lost my virginity and my guitar ego in same year. I thought I was hot shit on guitar because I was playing 4 years and could play almost anything I heard by ear. I remember learning Jessica by Allman Bros and could play also Statesboro Blues note-for-note on slide so I knew my chops were getting good. And I was a bit cocky. Then it happened and I realized how badly I sucked on guitar. We had a college bash and I saw am unknown band called the Dixie Dregs with this unknown guitarist named Steve Morse. I stained my panties, and I am sure quit guitar for a week I also quit college to become a rock star which didn't happen for me. The rub is it's going to happen during the second 1/2 of my life. More to follow. This is an amazing story but do not want thread too long. Let's just put it this way. I was in such a horrific accident at end of 2012, I was pronounced dead for over 2 minutes and spent 19 days in hospital. The injuries would boggle your minds so I will only tell you about one which was a traumatic brain injury and is the reason I am playing guitar again today. This was part of God's plan for me because he broke me down to nothing and spent 3 years rebuilding me into a better person and my guitar playing has never been as good. Not even close.

Stay Healthy and show off those calluses with pride & joy.

And yes, I saw SRVs very first gig in NYC in front of 100 people tops.
I was also good friends with Leslie West and spent time hanging & jamming with the Great Fatsby at his home. I would have to say, the best possible antithesis if you needed to compare two masters of the instrument would be Leslie & Yngwie.

More to follow and will be asking for some serous advice in next few posts about best courses, instructors, etc. Plus I have a great story because first video series I stumbled on this site was John Scofield series. I studied privately with him in mid 1980s for $100 hr which is like $350hr these days. I think I was able to join this site during a special for $100. One hour lesson with Scofield was same price to having access to this site for a year. That's mind boggling.

God Bless

Bobbyd_NYC

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 14 2016, 01:03 PM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Sep 14 2016, 01:23 PM
Learning Tone Master
Welcome to the best place on the net! See you around the forum wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 14 2016, 06:05 PM
Instructor
Hi man! That's a great story. I'm sure that you have lots of things to say and that's great for musicians. You can transpose those stories and experiences into sounds, melodies and songs.

GMC is full of killer lessons so I'm sure that you'll find what you are looking for. As the other guys said, I'm open for mentoring so you can count with me if you want my help to design your guitar plan and monitor your progress.

Check out my personal board to see how I work with students at Gab's Army (my mentoring program).

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
FunktheBlues
Sep 14 2016, 09:37 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 14 2016, 10:30 AM) *
Cool background! smile.gif I'm sure the instructors will chime in soon for help, before they do let me ask how are you with recording? video is not a must but being able to share audio of your playing here in time will be rewarding.

First off, I am blown away by all the responses so thanks to everyone because it means a lot to me. I have a DAW called Ableton which was not very easy to learn and I still consider myself a beginner. I was lucky enough to get a scholarship to Dubspot in NYC and I start their 6 month program next month. I have never posted a video and not sure best way to do so. Do I use my Imac with built in camera and if so, what is the software or process to upload a video because I plan on becoming the best musician possible. And advice on the technical side would be every helpful. Thanks

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 14 2016, 11:27 AM) *
Great story, welcome to the family Bobby smile.gif

Back at you bro!! thxs

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Sep 14 2016, 11:48 AM) *
Wellcome to the site! That's in fact a hell of a story you've been through. I think you have a huge experience "bag" we would love you to share with us as well smile.gif GMC is something more than a site with instructional vidoes. You can count on constant instructors feedback and some good advices from more experienced (playing wise) members.

What we usually ask first is to show us some of your playing. This will help us classify your skills for better feedback match.

You can also choose one of two instructors for your personall mentoring program. Ask Gab or Todd depending what kind of workouts you would love to make. I guess according to your music preferences Gabriel would be more aprioriate for the purpose. Of course you can always ask Todd for help as well. He can lead you through some "hand breaking" shred licks and runs smile.gif

Have a great time at GMC and see you on the forum!

I am blown away that instructors take so much interest in their students or anyone who appreciates the joy of guitar. I already know the video I want to post. Through this site, I finally finished a song I started learning 35 years ago which is Bourree in E Minor by JS Bach. . After my accident, i picked up a cheap classical figuring practicing Bach would be better for restoring my brain's function then playing Les Paul thru a Boogie practicing MegaDeath I NEVER in a million years even dreamed I would be even playing again because I didn't tell the full story which I will add at end of this thread. It will really blow your mind. But thanks for reaching out and saying hello.

I would love to have a mentor on this site for two reasons.

1.) I think is the most important reason everyone should have a mentor is they also become somewhat of an accountability coach. So if you tell them you completed a lesson, you need to walk the walk and upload that video. I need that structure in my life. So way cool. Thanks again.

2.) They know the site much better than me and know which instructors will best be suited for what I am trying to accomplish which is just to become better. I have no set instructions or plans to guide me. Last month before I started working with this site, I decided to learn the A harmonic minor in all 7 positions. Week later I am practicing diminished scales, a week later practicing Hendrix. I need a formal plan which includes the use of my trust metronome. I tell guitarists that a year is going to come whether you like it or not, so take advantage of that knowledge.. If you turn your metronome up one BPM every 3 days, your mind will never notice a single BPM if you practice everyday. An Apple a day is not 7 apples on Sunday. But 1 BPM every 3 or 4 days is an increase 104 BMPs one year from now. That puts you into shredding guitar hero status if that's your thing. So I am somewhat disciplined.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 14 2016, 12:02 PM) *
Welcome to GMC!! smile.gif Small world. I had an auto accident myself and actually died. They were about to use the paddles (CLEAR!!!) on me, and I came back. I feel your pain!! This site is simply the best place for a musician to be to learn and grow IMHO. I've been hear 5 years and I still look forward to visiting every day smile.gif I"m one of our Staff Instructors so let me introduce myself, I"m Todd Simpson and I"m stoked your here wink.gif

We have "Mentoring" programs with myself and Gabe and Darius (other instructors) and you are welcome to mentor under both and keep one, or keep none as you feel led. We are here for you smile.gif

Just send me Personal Message on the mail system here (click on my icon pic and click send message) and we can get you started if you are up for it wink.gif

If not, there is plenty to do without mentoring, hundreds of lessons just waiting to be dug in to, a killer forum where folks are actually nice to each other, and collaboration projects galore!!!

Welcome smile.gif

Todd

Meeting the only other guitarist i know on planet Earth who will die at least twice in one lifetime is a mind blower. Welcome back bro. Dying is so overrated so I came back as well. I am so blown away again by all the feedback from everyone. . I new I was making the right move joining this site because the other two sites although I will not mention their names, were very good with excellent videos. But this site has a cool mojo and when I saw Scofield series, I was all in. Forgot instructors name but he not only was a great player & teacher, he seemed very humble and down to earth. I think he had a German accent. I will be going thru his series once I get a mentor. But I never had this type of welcome or connection with a site and I feel like I already made friends which is so very cool. Please read the post I add at bottom of this thread because I think it's important that everyone hears the full story which will really blow some minds. And I am so into collaborating on projects and joined Splice.com for people who wanted to collaborate using the same DAW which is wicked cool. But makes no difference to me what software you use. I am ready to lay down my first track. Let me how to get started. Thanks Bro!!

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Sep 14 2016, 12:23 PM) *
Welcome to the best place on the net! See you around the forum wink.gif

Thank you. And yes, I can tell I will be very active on this forum. so hello new friend.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 14 2016, 05:05 PM) *
Hi man! That's a great story. I'm sure that you have lots of things to say and that's great for musicians. You can transpose those stories and experiences into sounds, melodies and songs.

GMC is full of killer lessons so I'm sure that you'll find what you are looking for. As the other guys said, I'm open for mentoring so you can count with me if you want my help to design your guitar plan and monitor your progress.

Check out my personal board to see how I work with students at Gab's Army (my mentoring program).

I am so blown away now I don't know where to start. I will check out all the very cool instructors and URLs who offered to take me under wing and mentor me. This is a very humbling experience and I am going to document how much a person can improve in one year because videos never lie. So once I figure out how to upload video using Imac I will uplaod my first video which will be Bach playing the blues. Quite cool and actually very funny. Because I am fully disabled (please do not feel bad) because if you met me you would never know what I endured these past three years or was even disabled. It was a 3 year healing process. So I feel like the most blesses guitarist on this site. We will speak again shortly.

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Sep 14 2016, 09:53 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Great story, hope you will soon share your playing with us:)

--------------------

+Quote Post
FunktheBlues
Sep 14 2016, 10:08 PM
Let me finish the story I started in first post so you all really get me much better as I will become friends with many of you and collaborate anytime on projects because I also play MIDI guitar and can had some freaken amazing riffs and sounds using different instruments.

Back to my accident. Here is full list of injuries but now that you read the previous posts, you know I am ok so you won't be too shocked.

I fell off a stage and landed 4 1/2 feet on my head. I was not gigging but on stage at a business convention.

15 broken ribs. Nobody knows pain until you break 15 ribs. It was almost impossible to get rid of pain and they gave me the max dose of whatever it was using a hand pump. My iphone beeped every 10 minutes so I could get the next dose of relief. And God has a sense of humor because he gave me the hiccups in the hospital. If I farted I thought I would faint from pain, so I was laughing and crying at the same time until they shot me with Thorazine which made both the hiccups and me go away for a few hours.

Broke collarbone
Fractured skull
Epidural hematoma which is traumatic brain injury.
Developed a pulmonary embolism in hospital which almost killed me again.

Get back to NY and I have torn MRI but before they can operate on it, I also had frozen shoulder which is exactly what is sounds like. Because my arm was in a sling for so long my shoulder froze in place. So I had to go through physical therapy to unfreeze shoulder with a torn rotator cuff. That was painful

Get rotator cuff surgery, Dr screws up, doesn't repair rotator cuff and i need a second shoulder surgery 4 months after first surgery.

I went into a detox after first surgery becauseI I told my Dr I do not want to be on oxycontin anymore and to get me off the crap.
not knowing I would get off this shit only to have to go back on it not knowing I would need a second surgery.

I am not going to tell you about all the additional hospitalizations accept one because it's important I share this because I don't give a crap if people judge me because this can save a life. I became so profoundly depressed after second surgery I checked myself in a psychiatric hospital and they held me 9 days against my will. That was the best move I ever made because depression will take you out of the game faster than any broken bones. I am no longer depressed but had I not checked in, I may have checked out. So anyone who suffers from depression, go see a Dr. A simple pill taken once a day could change your life.

Last amazing part of this story is in 2008, I sold my full blown $45,000 home studio, all my guitars, even my CDs swearing off music for good. There is an expression that says "do not die with the music still in you". I almost did and I can tell the world, I will be putting out songs until the day I die so I have no regrets. I am now more passionate about guitar than I have been my entire life which is a true miracle. I am more excited now than when someone showed me the A minor pentatonic scale for first time.

So I am starting the second half off my life as a full time professional musician, writer, producer, gigging guitarist, student, teacher and making friends with people who also want to become the best they can be. Only way to roll is give life your best and you will never have a single regret the day you pass into the spiritual world.

So that's 99% of my story. The other 1% I will reveal in a few months.

Peace out

BobbyD

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 14 2016, 10:46 PM
QUOTE (FunktheBlues @ Sep 14 2016, 08:37 PM) *
I have a DAW called Ableton which was not very easy to learn and I still consider myself a beginner. I was lucky enough to get a scholarship to Dubspot in NYC and I start their 6 month program next month. I have never posted a video and not sure best way to do so. Do I use my Imac with built in camera and if so, what is the software or process to upload a video because I plan on becoming the best musician possible. And advice on the technical side would be every helpful. Thanks

As long as you can record over a backing track the program you prefer doesn't matter much (no need to rush into video yet) but if you get stuck just open a topic and members will try to help. Also open a soundcloud account so you can upload sound files there and share in this forum when needed.

I checked the dubspot website, during your education keep in mind to focus on the DAW program called logic as once you get used to it probably that will be the DAW program you'll be using forever.

I guess you'll figure out the rest with your instructor but do surf the forum to get a feel of it smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Sep 14 2016, 10:48 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 15 2016, 02:57 AM

Brutal!!! I only broke a few ribs each time I broke my back (twice) and it was just awful. Can't imagine 15. They made me breath through this little aparatus where you have to suck through a tube and levitate a small plastic sphere in side the tube in oder to make your lungs stronger since you sorta slow down breathing when you break ribs and you get low blood oxygen as a result. I'm guessing you had to do something similar? I was worried I couldn't play guitar as I had amnesia for two weeks, but thank goodness, I could still play smile.gif

Great to see that you are embracing your inner musician again smile.gif IMHO nothing in life is better than music smile.gif Don't die with rounds still in your rifle as they say!! smile.gif

As for POSTING VIDEOS, the good news is that its' very easy. If you have a smart phone (any modern android or ios cell phone) you can shoot video with audio and post it directly to youtube and then share it here. If you have a web cam or a laptop with a web cam built in, you can use that. Either one of these is fine for getting started smile.gif

Later one you can get an external web cam if needed, or a handy cam/go pro/etc. whatever ends up working for you. smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (FunktheBlues @ Sep 14 2016, 05:08 PM) *
Let me finish the story I started in first post so you all really get me much better as I will become friends with many of you and collaborate anytime on projects because I also play MIDI guitar and can had some freaken amazing riffs and sounds using differ..aking friends with people who also want to become the best they can be. Only way to roll is give life your best and you will never have a single regret the day you pass into the spiritual world.

So that's 99% of my story. The other 1% I will reveal in a few months.

Peace out

BobbyD

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 15 2016, 12:07 PM
Instructor
Man...you were able to recover after such a terrible health issues, so playing guitar looks like a piece of cake now smile.gif I'm sure with such an attitude, you'll go far with it smile.gif ...and I truly wish you!

As for the mentoring - Gabriel and Todd are leading those, but if you would like to ask anything outside your threads, you can always post a request on forum or send PM's. We'll try to help best we can

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 15 2016, 12:37 PM
GMC Founder
Hi Bobby - welcome to GMC! I enjoyed reading your background/ intro.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 15 2016, 12:46 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Wow, that's a real life changing experience, I'm sure your attitude and tenacity will real help you. Great advice on the depression front, I have to second that.

I'm sure I speak on behalf of everyone here when I say we're looking forward to being with you on this journey, a new chapter in your life.

Peace

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 15 2016, 02:25 PM
Welcome to GMC Bobby
Quite a journey!

One of the most influential (and one of my favorite) Jazz guitarists, Pat Martino, had a brain aneurysm rupture. This was in the middle of his career. Either due to the rupture or the subsequent operation (or both) to save his life, he lost his ability to play guitar. Barely remembered that he even did play the guitar. Physically he recovered. Upon learning that he was this highly acclaimed jazz musician, he set out to re-learn the instrument and the music. As well as on his own, he had all the guitarists that had copped his style come to teach him how to play like 'him' again. And it worked.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Martino

+Quote Post
FunktheBlues
Sep 17 2016, 05:34 AM
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Sep 14 2016, 08:53 PM) *
Great story, hope you will soon share your playing with us:)

That's a promise. I am a big believer In Sir Isaac Newton's law's of physics. Two of them in particular.
1.) a body at rest stays at rest and a body at motion stays in motion. So it's critical of me to get started with the GMC style of posting and critiques because once I start, it will be hard to slow me down.

Sir Isaac Newton's other lwea I love is Energy can not be created nor destroyed. What does than mean to everyone on this site? Stay away from negative people, news, or anything that will allow negative energy in your body. It can not be destroyed which means you must pass negative energy on to some unlucky person. Get rid of negative things in life and watch how much better of a musician you will become.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 14 2016, 09:46 PM) *
As long as you can record over a backing track the program you prefer doesn't matter much (no need to rush into video yet) but if you get stuck just open a topic and members will try to help. Also open a soundcloud account so you can upload sound files there and share in this forum when needed.

I checked the dubspot website, during your education keep in mind to focus on the DAW program called logic as once you get used to it probably that will be the DAW program you'll be using forever.

I guess you'll figure out the rest with your instructor but do surf the forum to get a feel of it smile.gif

Not sure the best way to make the cleanest recording with the backing track. I could play backing track through Imacs speakers and hopefully be able to get a decent mix playing along backing track with small amp. I have an external mic that could capture the mix. And I do have a soundCloud account and have only posted one song just to see if I new how to get a mix from my DAW and upload to SoundCloud. Please get I am a bluesman. rocker, funk guitarist etc and this was just an experiment using the wireless MIDI pickup on my guitar to control soft synths inside the DAW so it sounds a bit different. I feel like I am almost creating a new genre of music because I want to mix blues, funk, rock along with EDM music and have live musicians on stage when playing Trance or techno. This is 100% MIDI and all played on the hollowbody you see in picture.

Here you go:
Visit My Website

PS....BobbyLuvChild is a name I was thinking of using if I got heavily into EDM.

And I lost sleep deciding between Ableton & Logic. Both are killer DAWs and I LOVED Logic's interface. But I decided to go with Ableton for three main reasons.

1.) It has the session view & arrangement view. Logic & Pro Tools only have the arrangement view of recording which is the traditional linear left to write recording of a track. Ableton uses clips & scenes in session view which is the most amazing way to lay down audio or MIDI clips and blend them in unlimited ways to come up with crazy new ideas that would have been impossible with Logic. You can also record in arrangement view.

2.) Ableton was designed for musicians to also be used as a live instrument when gigging. I am putting a solo act together so the ability to launch backing tracks plus the multitude of amazing features for live performance really made it a no brainer at the end. Plus Push 2, the controller made by Ableton is also amazing. . Even the folks at Dubspot told me that Ableton was the better DAW for my needs. But good looking out because maybe I didn't know about Logic and I thank you at least mentioning that to me.

3.) I have invested at a year of my life trying to learn Ableton and it's finally starting to make sense. I have "aha" moments every time i use this DAW. When done with Dubspot, I will be an advanced intermediate and will make my gigging life very interesting creating new ideas.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 15 2016, 01:57 AM) *
Brutal!!! I only broke a few ribs each time I broke my back (twice) and it was just awful. Can't imagine 15. They made me breath through this little apparatus where you have to suck through a tube and levitate a small plastic sphere in side the tube in oder to make your lungs stronger since you sorta slow down breathing when you break ribs and you get low blood oxygen as a result. I'm guessing you had to do something similar? I was worried I couldn't play guitar as I had amnesia for two weeks, but thank goodness, I could still play smile.gif

great to see that you are embracing your inner musician again smile.gif IMHO nothing in life is better than music smile.gif Don't die with rounds still in your rifle as they say!! smile.gif

As for POSTING VIDEOS, the good news is that its' very easy. If you have a smart phone (any modern android or ios cell phone) you can shoot video with audio and post it directly to youtube and then share it here. If you have a web cam or a laptop with a web cam built in, you can use that. Either one of these is fine for getting started smile.gif

Later one you can get an external web cam if needed, or a handy cam/go pro/etc. whatever ends up working for you. smile.gif

Todd

Bro...I literally had to learn how to walk again after being laid up for 19 days. It was horrible. No one will ever understand that type of pain unless you spent time in an Iranian torture cell. How did you break your back twice? . My guess is Motorcross or your a professional snowboarder. I had 4 Harleys in my day and I am amazed I never got hurt. Bruised my ego badly when I dropped a 700Lb beast in front of an of an outdoor rock bar doing 2 miles an hour. But breaking back twice. Ouch.

And a big yes about the breathing apparatus. My breathing got really bad because I had a pulmonary embolism in hospital which was a blood clot in my lung. So I had this tube that I had to put in mouth and wear a mask on my face and breath a special type of medicine deep into my lungs. It was a total nightmare. I never even talked about the mental pain. Shitting in a bed pan sucks ass. Having a dude clean you off is even worse. The sponge baths with the hot Vietnamese nurses were the highlight of my day unless i got unlucky and a male nurse showed up in room. This is why I am enjoying life so much now because contrast is a wonderful thing. You need dark rainy days to appreciate the beautiful days and now, every day is beautiful.

You must be soldier or Marine because they are the only ones who would make the statement "do not die with rounds still in your rifle". That's a great one. I served back in the day and was in a combat unit in USAF. I didn't even know Air Force had these units until I got to Germany and had to go to survival school. All part of my story.

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Sep 15 2016, 11:07 AM) *
Man...you were able to recover after such a terrible health issues, so playing guitar looks like a piece of cake now smile.gif I'm sure with such an attitude, you'll go far with it smile.gif ...and I truly wish you!

As for the mentoring - Gabriel and Todd are leading those, but if you would like to ask anything outside your threads, you can always post a request on forum or send PM's. We'll try to help best we can

Thanks for jumping in. I am still not sure how this "mentoring" program works, and who do I pick as the person to work with me. I want to get started asap because I know myself and once I get going, it's hard to stop me. I am an advanced player so I would want an instructor who gets what I am trying too accomplish which I do not even know.

Here are a few things about me that may make choice of instructor an obvious choice:
I love metal but have no desire to play it anymore or become a super shredder like Yngyvie. I appreciate the heck out of him and know he runs circles around me, but I never was able to get too excited back in the days of shredding. I always preferred playing in the style of Gary Moore, & Micheal Schenker during my metal days. My main goal has always been to be able to play "outside" when playing blues or blues rock and have those outside notes sound like they were meant to be played. It's stareting tyto happen finally because my ear is very good and I understand the modes, chromatic notes, pentatonic and relative minor and how to combine them throwing in some chromatic notes to make them sound tight. Think.Robben Ford, Larry Carlton, Scofield, Pat Martino, and all those type of players.

I am big into tone and vibrato and just to pick a song as an example, Europa by Santana always did it for me because I found that tone, vibrato, less is more approach equally as impressive at the shredders.

If I had to put a full band together today, it would be along the lines of Joe Bonamassa because I always considered myself a hard rocken bluesman first.

I do like some shredders like Greg Howe who I though was tasty when he came out. I love how Richie Kotzen grew from a shredder to what I consider one of the finest guitarists out there now. His singing is amazing.

So any ideas of who i should be working with is much appreciated. I realize that I do not need anybody and can go through lessons by myself, but as I previously mentioned, I need someone to hold me accountable and I want to start ASAP.

Thanks bro!!

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Sep 15 2016, 11:37 AM) *
Hi Bobby - welcome to GMC! I enjoyed reading your background/ intro.

Thank you. I am sure we will chat again.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 15 2016, 11:46 AM) *
Wow, that's a real life changing experience, I'm sure your attitude and tenacity will real help you. Great advice on the depression front, I have to second that.

I'm sure I speak on behalf of everyone here when I say we're looking forward to being with you on this journey, a new chapter in your life.

Peace

Phil

Phil...very nice words and the cool thing is I know you mean them. Thanks And yes, depression is no joke. That almost took me out of game permanently. I am happy you agree because it is a treatable condition but too many people's ego prevents them from seeking the help of a therapist or psychiatrist. Nothing embarrassing at all. Want to hear a crazy story. I met this person at a bar about 6 months ago who started up a conversation with me. Turns out he is a "motivational" rapper going to school for music production. . We get together again and he tells me that he spent 7 days in a psychiatric hospital this tear because of severe depression. Turns out it was same hospital I stayed at. My vacation was just a tad longer.....9 days. Point is, so many people struggle with depression and never get treatment.

Stay healthy Bro!!

QUOTE (klasaine @ Sep 15 2016, 01:25 PM) *
Welcome to GMC Bobby
Quite a journey!

One of the most influential (and one of my favorite) Jazz guitarists, Pat Martino, had a brain aneurysm rupture. This was in the middle of his career. Either due to the rupture or the subsequent operation (or both) to save his life, he lost his ability to play guitar. Barely remembered that he even did play the guitar. Physically he recovered. Upon learning that he was this highly acclaimed jazz musician, he set out to re-learn the instrument and the music. As well as on his own, he had all the guitarists that had copped his style come to teach him how to play like 'him' again. And it worked.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Martino

I listened to Pat Martino back in the day but he was just too good for me at the time to appreciate his style of playing. Plus, I was into the Les Paul-- Mesa Boogie sound and if I remember, Pat played very clean. But that story is incredible and also very inspiring. Thanks for sharing. I also realize I just spent a lot of time writing instead of playing which is the last thing I want to do. So I really need to figure out how to get started with some type of practice routine. I also play around with keyboards and take online singing lessons. I have 10 hours a day I can put into practicing. I just need to find a routine that allows me to progress quickly, use my time wisely, and find the right people to mentor me in any area of music I want to learn. So very soon the only writing I will be doing will be a posting a URL to a song on SoundCloud.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Sep 17 2016, 04:51 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
What an amazing and inspirational story! My hat is off to you sir. Coming back from those kinds of injuries and overcoming all the other subsequent hurdles associated with the healing process is a testament to your strong will and determination. It is obvious that you are a fighter and once you set your mind on a goal that there is little or nothing that can stand in your way.
Welcome to GMC! I am sure you will find that you have made a great choice joining this community of musicians and I look forward to checking out your music. Rock on! cool.gif

Rich...

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 17 2016, 08:48 PM
QUOTE (FunktheBlues @ Sep 17 2016, 04:34 AM) *
Not sure the best way to make the cleanest recording with the backing track. I could play backing track through Imacs speakers and hopefully be able to get a decent mix playing along backing track with small amp. I have an external mic that could capture the mix. And I do have a soundCloud account and have only posted one song just to see if I new how to get a mix from my DAW and upload to SoundCloud. Please get I am a bluesman. rocker, funk guitarist etc and this was just an experiment using the wireless MIDI pickup on my guitar to control soft synths inside the DAW so it sounds a bit different. I feel like I am almost creating a new genre of music because I want to mix blues, funk, rock along with EDM music and have live musicians on stage when playing Trance or techno. This is 100% MIDI and all played on the hollowbody you see in picture.

Here you go:
Visit My Website

PS....BobbyLuvChild is a name I was thinking of using if I got heavily into EDM.

And I lost sleep deciding between Ableton & Logic. Both are killer DAWs and I LOVED Logic's interface. But I decided to go with Ableton for three main reasons.

1.) It has the session view & arrangement view. Logic & Pro Tools only have the arrangement view of recording which is the traditional linear left to write recording of a track. Ableton uses clips & scenes in session view which is the most amazing way to lay down audio or MIDI clips and blend them in unlimited ways to come up with crazy new ideas that would have been impossible with Logic. You can also record in arrangement view.

2.) Ableton was designed for musicians to also be used as a live instrument when gigging. I am putting a solo act together so the ability to launch backing tracks plus the multitude of amazing features for live performance really made it a no brainer at the end. Plus Push 2, the controller made by Ableton is also amazing. . Even the folks at Dubspot told me that Ableton was the better DAW for my needs. But good looking out because maybe I didn't know about Logic and I thank you at least mentioning that to me.

3.) I have invested at a year of my life trying to learn Ableton and it's finally starting to make sense. I have "aha" moments every time i use this DAW. When done with Dubspot, I will be an advanced intermediate and will make my gigging life very interesting creating new ideas.

Most common and budget friendly way to record over a backing track is using a software amp inside a DAW. Its not the best tone but since you can use headphones in the middle of the night or not have to deal with rig (mic.ing amp etc.), since its all about education you can focus most of your energy to playing/recording and not dealing with anything else.

As long as your guitar tone is clear when listened together with the backing track all is ok. Sure we discuss a lot here on mixing, gear, tone but you have to be comfortable with the basics first to start thinking about these so no rush there.

All you'll need is a budget friendly soundcard and that would be enough. Ableton is cool, just as you mentioned designed for live usage but as long as you're comfortable the program of preference won't matter smile.gif

I'm not a mac guy but when needed feel free to ask your mentor or friends here for any advice needed smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
FunktheBlues
Sep 17 2016, 09:55 PM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Sep 17 2016, 03:51 PM) *
What an amazing and inspirational story! My hat is off to you sir. Coming back from those kinds of injuries and overcoming all the other subsequent hurdles associated with the healing process is a testament to your strong will and determination. It is obvious that you are a fighter and once you set your mind on a goal that there is little or nothing that can stand in your way.
Welcome to GMC! I am sure you will find that you have made a great choice joining this community of musicians and I look forward to checking out your music. Rock on! cool.gif

Rich...

Thanks Rich. Going though such a traumatic event has made me such a better person in all areas of life and makes you realize how true the expression is "don't sweat the small stuff because it's small stuff" . I could buy a new Iphone 7 Plus tomorrow, drop phone next day breaking it. , and would be not freak for a second. I would say that sucks and then get phone fixed. Very few people understand that it's not worth getting upset about something you have no control over. Once the phone is broken, the only option is to get fixed and not be pissed for days.

Plus it's a proven fact that 98% of things we worry about never comes to fruition. So do not waste energy on worrying. Easy for me to say because I learned the hard way. I am just sharing some wisdom so people can learn what I did without having to go thru the type of physical & mental suffering I dealt with. I would not trade what happened to me for anything. I am happier now than I have ever been and it has made me a more caring and empathetic person.

Plus I have so much gratitude now for the smallest things in life like a bed, roof over my head, food in my stomach, and so much gratitude for having a couple guitars again and a home studio. I thank God everyday.
Soon I will not be posting anything but URLs to songs. biggrin.gif I want to show people how easy it is to progress if you put your mind to it. I am sure there are 100s of stories of members from this site who couldn't tune a guitar on day one, and two years later are ripping the blues or whatever genre they like.

Bye for now

QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 17 2016, 07:48 PM) *
Most common and budget friendly way to record over a backing track is using a software amp inside a DAW. Its not the best tone but since you can use headphones in the middle of the night or not have to deal with rig (mic.ing amp etc.), since its all about education you can focus most of your energy to playing/recording and not dealing with anything else.

As long as your guitar tone is clear when listened together with the backing track all is ok. Sure we discuss a lot here on mixing, gear, tone but you have to be comfortable with the basics first to start thinking about these so no rush there.

All you'll need is a budget friendly soundcard and that would be enough. Ableton is cool, just as you mentioned designed for live usage but as long as you're comfortable the program of preference won't matter smile.gif

I'm not a mac guy but when needed feel free to ask your mentor or friends here for any advice needed smile.gif

I am so happy you responded about using the DAW and couldn't agree more with you about it's education, not about equipment. At least in this situation. I have a killer Focusrite Clarrette 8 pre SoundCard so that's taken care of. But I do not understand how to import a backing track into the DAW and play along using the tones from Guitar Rig 5 which I happen to like. Can you please if if it's not too difficult to explain the process or send me a link how to do this. I want to get started and do not consider myself a member of this community until I have a mentor, study a full lesson, and actively posting audio or video of my playing. I am going to play around with my Imac tonight and try to make a recording using webcam, playing backing track directly from this site, and playing along with a small amp and using an external mic to hopefully get a good mix to record the jam onto a track in Ableton. Sounds a tad complicated and I know there must be a better , easier way to do this.P

If I had to buy a Gopro Camera and Tripod, I will do so if necessary. My main confusion is getting backing track imported into DAW.

Thanks for reaching out and thanks in advance for any info you can send my way about best possible way to record and upload. I think a video is way more powerful so I want to get started and setup correctly from day one so I can concentrate on playing. I hate wasting time on technical things.

And you are so spot on about the headphones because I live an apt with my mom who will not put up with any sounds out of my room. So getting that backing track into Ableton will sure make life much easier. I will start a new thread soon about this topic unless I figure this out tonight because I want to play!!!

Peace

BobbyD

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:50 AM