Blues Progression
Arizona11
Feb 3 2016, 09:27 PM
GMC:er
I've been trying to write a blues rock style progression, and I hear a lot of people saying you play the root chord, then the 4 chord and the a whole step up from that..not entirely sure what they're talking about and I was wondering if someone could expand on this. How would I write a progression in the Key of D for example. Thank you.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
fzalfa
Feb 3 2016, 10:14 PM
Learning Roadie
For a 12 bar blues this is the commun rules:

1st four measures, or bars: I, I, I, I

2nd four measures, or bars: IV, IV, I, I

Last four measures, or bars: V, IV, I, I

So for a D blues it's

D D D D
G G D D
A G D D

make sense ?

Laurent

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 4 2016, 02:33 PM
Instructor
Your request shows that you need to build up your overall music theory knowledge. It will be hard to point out those basic rules of building chords, while not making you even more confused. I really like the way Laurent gave you feedback. It's only as much as necessary, written in a simple words with clear example. I would like to give +1 point for Laurent for his answer smile.gif

There are several ways you can build blues progressions. Very easy way to fin a few is simply searching for blues lessons, here at GMC and lookind for chord progression in the lesson description. You will find a few more variations of where to place each chord and how many times to repeat it in particular bars wink.gif

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Feb 4 2016, 04:46 PM
Learning Roadie
I would like to give +1 point for Laurent for his answer smile.gif

you are welcome ! smile.gif

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Arizona11
Feb 4 2016, 10:16 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Feb 4 2016, 01:33 PM) *
Your request shows that you need to build up your overall music theory knowledge. It will be hard to point out those basic rules of building chords, while not making you even more confused. I really like the way Laurent gave you feedback. It's only as much as necessary, written in a simple words with clear example. I would like to give +1 point for Laurent for his answer smile.gif

There are several ways you can build blues progressions. Very easy way to fin a few is simply searching for blues lessons, here at GMC and lookind for chord progression in the lesson description. You will find a few more variations of where to place each chord and how many times to repeat it in particular bars wink.gif

i do understand the basic progression that blues usually follows, I guess my question is more so, what chords am I to play to form that blues rhythm. So if I am playing in C, how do I know what the next chord would be.

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Feb 4 2016, 10:22 PM
Learning Roadie
read my previous answer

if you play C with a I IV V structure, the next chord 'll be the 4th degree of C,c d e F, so the next chord 'll be F and after the 5th one, so G

do i have missunderstand something or do i have rightly answer ?

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Arizona11
Feb 4 2016, 11:20 PM
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Feb 4 2016, 09:22 PM) *
read my previous answer

if you play C with a I IV V structure, the next chord 'll be the 4th degree of C,c d e F, so the next chord 'll be F and after the 5th one, so G

do i have missunderstand something or do i have rightly answer ?

Laurent

Oh okay! i understand now, Thank you!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 10 2016, 06:56 PM
Instructor
Hi friends, I'd like to add some helpful links regarding this topic:

Blues Guitar Theory Guide

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Intro-to-12-Bar-Blues/

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:38 PM