2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Confused About How To Pratice
Brent146
Aug 4 2007, 04:55 PM
GMC:er
Hi there, I've seen so many videos and I don't know how to practice guitar. Even not after viewing "how to pratice guitar". I've got some questions:

1. Do I have to use the metronome always? Because Kris talks about choosing a lick with 2 notes for using the metronome(seems like you have to use the metronome for 1 lick) and then he says that you always have to practice with a metronome? It's a bit opposed, isn't it? And using a metronome is very difficult for some licks/songs...

2. Kris is also speaking about practicing 1 lesson about 3 weeks?! I mean practicing 3 weeks the lesson about powerchords. These are just 4 powerchords? Isn't it a bit crazy? That isn't very good for your motivation I think...

3. Finally, he speaks about practicing max. 2 things. But you also have to practice the warm-up and some legato(Kris says that in the 'how to practice guitar' video). If you do that, you're practicing about 4/5 things...

Please help me and give me a clear overview how I have to pratice guitar. I ran out of motivation because this way of practicing is so overwhelming and confusing.

Greets, Brent.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 4 2007, 05:19 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
1. Well, Regarding the metronome, you dont ALWAYS Have to use it, it is however, Highly recommended, as it helps build accuracy, consistency, and especially speed. Basically if your looking at a certain lick, divide it into numbers, like say there is 24 notes in a certain lick, divied those into 4, and you get 6 groups of 4 notes, and you can play them at a slow tempo, and build them up to higher tempos. This is what ive learned from GMC.

2. When he says spend 3 weeks on a lesson, well obvioulsy if you have the lesson down solid, theres no need to right? Well, it still doesn hurt to still practice that lesson, even though you still have it down perfectly. And the 3 week thing usually applies to harder lessons for you, like, i spent 2 or 3 weeks practicing Pavel's "Sweeping Etude" and "Luca Turilli" Lesson, after the first 2 weeks, i had it down and up to speed, but i still practice it today, so technically ive probably been practicing them for over a month!

The idea is, these lessons are designed for you to practice like you would any other way, do it for a set amount of time everyday for as long as you need to, or as long as you want to, 3 weeks is just a guideline i think, i mean, ive spent over 5 months practicing sweeping lessons, i got 3 string sweeps down pretty good, but i still practice them. I think it was Pavel actually who said, practice sweeping one hour a day for a month and youll get alot better, well, if it was him who said that, he was right! Its the consistency of how often you practice a lesson, it builds muscle memory so you always know how to play it.

3. Practicing the 2 things, is a good idea, there is a difference between "Warm-Ups" and "excersies" (exercises referring to those 2 things you should practice), look at it this way.

--Warmp ups are designed to get you ready, loosen your muscles and just get you in the right frame of mind. Basically you are preparing yourself, in a way, for the "Serious" stuff.

--Excersies come after you have warmed up, and are ready to practice a specific thing, like Sweeping, Alternate Picking, Legato or what have you. Warm ups you usually do some basic licks and runs that arent "Technique" specific.

This is just how i view this, and this is what ive taken from GMC, Kris and all the instructors included.
If this helps, here is a normal practice routine for me.

Warm-Ups: 1 hour

Stretch muscles
Play basic scales
simple licks from some songs i know
Get more complex, sneak a bit of sweeping or tapping into a scale

Excercises:3-6 hours
Practice sweeping Etude (Seeping practice, 2-3 hours)
Practice Luca Turilli Lesson (Alternate Picking practice, 2-3 hours)

Ill do that for as long as i need to ( i still do it)
and after that comes for me

Jam Session: As long as i can
I just play anything, improvise, or play along to my favorite songs, just having some fun!

I hope this oversized post help a little atleast

*EDIT*
If you find a metronome boring, don't worry thats normal smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Aug 4 2007, 05:33 PM

+Quote Post
Brent146
Aug 4 2007, 05:58 PM
OK, and can you also give me some lessons that are good to start with?

Other replies are welcome!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 4 2007, 06:26 PM

Where i started:

Pentatonic Lesson 1
Pentatonic Lesson 2
Pentatonic Lesson 3

Tapping:
Kirstofer Dahl - Tapping Lesson 1
Kristofer Dahl - Tapping Lesson 2
Kristofer Dahl - Tapping Lesson 3
Kristofer Dahl - Tapping Lesson 4
Gabriel Leopardi - Tapping Lesson

Alternate Picking:
Pavel Denisjuk - Alternate Picking Lesson 1
Pavel Denisjuk - Alternate Picking Lesson 2
Pavel Denisjuk - Alterante Picking Lesson 3
Marcus Lavendell - Neoclassical Three Level Lesson
Gabriel Leopardi - Neoclassical Alterbate Picking

Sweeping:
Pavel Denisjuk - Sweeping Etude
Pavel Denisjuk - Sweeping Basics
Pavel Denisjuk - Sweeping, 3 String Shapes
Pavel Denisjuk - Sweeping, 5 String Shapes

Mixed Lessons:
David Walliman - Metalhead Solo Lesson
Pavel Denisjuk - Sweeping, Alternate Picking
Pavel Denisjuk - Mixed Solo Licks
Kristofer Dahl - Speed Licks

There are SO Many more, i also recommend any of the rock and rhythm lesson, by Pavel, Gabriels Blues lessons, any of David Wallimans lessons, Phrygian to Ionian is a good one, Phrygian Dominant Soloing, Mixolydian Pentatonics, just search everywhere!

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Aug 4 2007, 06:26 PM

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 4 2007, 06:43 PM
Instructor
I think other replies are not needed! The Uncreator made a great practicing plan for ya! smile.gif

I think a contest on BEST PRACTICING ROUTINE would be nice - so come on guys - keep posting your practicing plans! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Pavel: Aug 4 2007, 06:47 PM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 4 2007, 06:59 PM
That would be interesting indeed!

Id like to see that one happen smile.gif

+Quote Post
Brent146
Aug 4 2007, 09:57 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 4 2007, 07:43 PM) *
I think other replies are not needed! The Uncreator made a great practicing plan for ya! smile.gif

I think a contest on BEST PRACTICING ROUTINE would be nice - so come on guys - keep posting your practicing plans! smile.gif
Yes, It's a nice overview. But I mean that additional information and tips are also welcome.

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 4 2007, 10:21 PM
QUOTE (Brent146 @ Aug 4 2007, 04:57 PM) *
Yes, It's a nice overview. But I mean that additional information and tips are also welcome.

Well i would like to say if you dont want to use a metronome dont.It does inprove your accuracy and timing but so does playing along with a cd of your favorite band. smile.gif You dont want to get to a point when what your learning on guitar bores you,this will cause you to not really be interested in playing and would just be a waste of your time.You have to find what makes you interested on the guitar and go for it.Guitar is supposed to be fun not something you dred.Al the other advice that was listed on this post is great and will help you get better it's just is it for you?If you want to be the best than you do have to study lots of stuff that may bore you at the time but if your just looking to have fun playing guitar and learn some songs from your favorite bands learn to read tab ,study it listening to the song and get it down. biggrin.gif

Shredmandan

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 4 2007, 11:47 PM
Instructor
Brent

Kris gave us really good starting points regarding to practicing routine.
You just follow those examples, but also feel free to adjust it to your self.
Everyone has his own progress bar,which means that you can change your practicing routine anytime.
This means what?
You can add more time to practicing,or cut it on less. cool.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Brent146
Aug 4 2007, 11:53 PM
QUOTE (muris @ Aug 5 2007, 12:47 AM) *
Brent

Kris gave us really good starting points regarding to practicing routine.
You just follow those examples, but also feel free to adjust it to your self.
Everyone has his own progress bar,which means that you can change your practicing routine anytime.
This means what?
You can add more time to practicing,or cut it on less. cool.gif
Yeah, Kris is a great guitar player, but I was a bit confused because It's so much. But now It's all clear. Thank you guys, You rule. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 5 2007, 12:44 AM
Instructor
I guess some rules get you confused for sure.
Just find your own way and routine regarding to those rules and you'll be fine. smile.gif
Anytime smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Brent146
Aug 5 2007, 02:50 PM
But 1 hour warm-up, 3-6 hours learning stuff (excersizes, ...) and Jamming... Now, that's ok. But when it's school I have max. 1h30/2h time to practice.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 5 2007, 05:06 PM
Instructor
I see huh.gif
Well,my advice is to finish your home work as fast as you can,and then you'd have more time for guitar stuff!!
cool.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 5 2007, 05:12 PM
Instructor
When it's school use those 2 hours this way: 20-30 minutes to get some warm-up (riffs, simple pentatonic runs)
and the rest 1.5 hour practice techniques. Leave jam behind - it's not that important!! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Brent146
Aug 5 2007, 09:48 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 5 2007, 06:12 PM) *
When it's school use those 2 hours this way: 20-30 minutes to get some warm-up (riffs, simple pentatonic runs)
and the rest 1.5 hour practice techniques. Leave jam behind - it's not that important!! smile.gif

Yeah, that looks ok. You guys have a solution for everything. smile.gif So when I fail my exams, I tell my parents that it's your fault. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 5 2007, 09:51 PM
Instructor
I knew it laugh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 5 2007, 10:43 PM
Instructor
Ok - i can't get beat up over internet so you can blame us! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 6 2007, 03:16 AM
I guess when your in school just cut all the times in half or something, I reccommend still jamming out, its just the funnest thing smile.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 7 2007, 04:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Aug 6 2007, 04:16 AM) *
I guess when your in school just cut all the times in half or something, I reccommend still jamming out, its just the funnest thing smile.gif

Agree wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
JOhn
Aug 7 2007, 05:36 AM
i usually try not to jam but its way way to hard because you get bored when practice techniques and you just decided to have some fun then when you check the time its nearly all gone laugh.gif

--------------------
The only man it's OK to love is Paul Gilbert.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:20 PM