Guitar Loves Piano Collab - Guitar Solos & Vocals Required!
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 20 2016, 03:48 PM
Instructor
Hey everybody! Welcome to a new GMC collab!

The title is to honor the amazing lesson series done by Piotr here, and the backing that we will use is courtesy by the GMCer ChrisGLP who recorded it and suggested starting a collab.

Backing: Attached File  Guitar_Loves_Piano_Collab_70bpm.mp3 ( 4.58MB ) Number of downloads: 474

Tempo: 70 bpm

We want guitar solos, arrangements, lyrics, vocals and everything you can imagine that can help us to create a new GMC Hit.

Key and Scales:

The Key is E minor, so these are the suggested scales:

Chord progression:

The chord progression can look complex but don't worry about it. You can just take the roots and notice if it's a major or minor chord. If you are an advanced player you can analyze the extensions which are very commonly used in piano rhythms.

(G - D - Em - Cadd9) x 2

(Em - Cadd9 - Em - Cadd9) x 2

Bm7+5 - Cmaj7 - Dsus4 - Dadd11 - Gmaj7/B - C - Dsus4 - D

Em9 - Cadd9 - Gadd11 - Dadd11 - Em9 - Cadd9 - Dsus4 - Dadd11 - Em9 - Cadd9 - Gadd11 - Dadd9add11 - Cmaj9 - Em7 - Dsus4 - Dadd11

(Em - Cadd9 - Em - Cadd9) x 2

Bm7+5 - Cmaj7 - Dsus4 - Dadd11 - Gmaj7/B - C - Dsus4 - D

Em9 - Cadd9 - Gadd11 - Dadd11 - Em9 - Cadd9 - Dsus4 - Dadd11 - Em9 - Cadd9 - Gadd11 - Dadd9add11 - Cmaj9 - Em7 - Dsus4 - Dadd11

G - D - Em - Cadd9

Gadd9 - Em7+5 - G

IMPORTANT INFO About files required:

In order to make the things easier for compiling takes and mixing I need that each participant shares 3 files:

- Audio file with the mix of the backing and your guitar.
- Audio file only with your guitar (If possible this audio should have the same length than the mix version)
- Video of you playing the solo, and if it's not possible a picture.

The best way to share this is compressing in a zip file to be downloaded from here or using sharing service as dropbox, wetransfer, and copying the link here.

If you decide to share your files using soundcloud please remember to "allow downloads".

Thanks!

DEADLINE: February 7th

Who is in?

Final video:

I've worked hard to make this one sound like a song. I focused mostly on taking the most melodic phrases that you've provided in order to make this one sound musical. You'll find that some players appear more than others but this doesn't mean that there were weak takes in general, I prioritized the overall song, and that why also noted that there wasn't place for me on this one, I'm just the mixer. biggrin.gif

I want to say thanks to each student that take time to be part of this one and special thanks to CHRISGLP for providing such an inspiring backing. I can say that it's one of the best colabs I've ever led.

I've hope you enjoy it!

Participants:

Beat Zbinden
Cael
ChrisGLP
GeneT95
Jim S
Kristofer Dahl
n3m57
Phil66
Piotr Kaczor
Procyon
Pzalfa
Sensible Jones
tflava
Todd Simpson
Tom51

I'll be back with some extra comments on your takes.

COMMENTS:

Beat: What a tasty take mate! Your tone fits perfect with this backing and reminds me to Petrucci and Steve Vai. This doesn’t mean that your solo doesn’t have personality, your phrasing is very personal. It has a good balance between melody and fast playing and the note choices are lovely.

Cael: I’m glad to see you again on a GMC collab. The first thing that comes to mind when listening to your solo is that your tone is perfect! It has the right amount of drive to sound clean but with sustain. Your phrasing is interesting, it’s uncommon and not predictable. There are some parts that would sound better with some adjustment but the good thing is that you are “searching” here, that’s the spirit. You should do more of this melodic stuff.

ChrisGLP: You not only recorded the amazing piano for this collab, you also provided killer rhythm guitars and the perfect melody for the pre verse. Let me say that you rock Chris. Thanks for this inspiring stuff.

GenteT95: Your bass and drums added a lot to this collab. It make is sound like a real song. Your solo sounds good, I like your clean tone that is at a mid-point between Frusciante and Buckethead. Your phrasing has some great moments but it also has many parts that are not completely clean and defined. You should work more on this solo, isolate the strong parts and re-work the ones that are not consistent.

Jim S: Thanks for your strings contribution; it makes the final mix more epic. Your solo sounds very cool, I like how you manage rhythm and staccato. It makes it sound very unique and adds something fresh to the final mix of this collab. Your playing has a big potential, I’d like to hear more soloing from you. Good notes choices, and tone. Just need some polishing (technique and some phrases direction).

N3m57: Nice guitar! IT reminds me to my first Ibanez. Your tone is good, I would just adjust a bit presence or maybe lower some bass frequencies, to make it sound clearer. My favorite part is the chorus (starting at 1:12), the melodies there are so epic and that double guitar ending is top level.

Phil: The cooler part of your solo/video is how tasty your phrases are. It’s one of the tasties jams that I’ve heard from you and this means that all the hard work done in the previous months is making effect. My favorite part is from 00:00 to 00:50, then there are some bends out of pitch and less tasty melodies (in the chorus). Then, when the verse 2 starts, the tasty Phil comes back.

Procyon: You solo is pure melody. It’s been tricky to choose the best parts of this killer solo but I’ve decided to go for the chorus. You have to be careful with bending (pre-chorus) and maybe work a bit more your tone that has room to fit better with the style. Your phrasing and note choices are great.

Fzalfa: I’ve said many times to you that I love when you go melodic. This solo is pure melody and has many interesting phrases in both the verse and the chorus. In the chorus I hear pitch issues related to bending, but also to your guitar, or maybe doing too much pressure with your fingers when playing. I think that the amount of drive fits good with this backing, but some EQ tweak would make your solo stand more. I would try increasing frequencies around 3000 hz.

Sensible Jones: Great to see you back here! I like your solo, how you connect the different phrases until the chorus, and your tone. In the chorus I think that your solo loses a bit direction, but then comes the second verse and you make your guitar cry, in the good sense.

Tflava: Your playing is wise. I like how your phrases are very clear and your use of silences. You need to be careful with bending, mostly in the pre chorus and chorus where the pitch issues ruin the nice ideas that you are playing. Your tone is ok, but I think that there is room to continue polishing it.

Tom: It’s great to see that your work on the improvisation workouts is having a big impact in your playing. The thing that makes your solo GREAT is that you don’t try to play things that are over your level, you stay at a comfortable zone and focus on phrasing, simple but tasty melodies. The note choices is very enjoyable, and your tone perfect. Well done!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Feb 18 2016, 05:07 AM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
fzalfa
Jan 20 2016, 04:23 PM
Learning Roadie
My lord , my soul is belong to you....

I'm in of course

edit:

a sample ?

i can add some violin......

https://soundcloud.com/laurent-377054242/love-piano-1

Laurent

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fzalfa: Jan 20 2016, 10:20 PM

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 20 2016, 10:27 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Too complicated for me blink.gif All those changes unsure.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 20 2016, 11:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 20 2016, 06:27 PM) *
Too complicated for me blink.gif All those changes unsure.gif laugh.gif

Hey Phil, it can look complicated but trust me it's really easy to jam over this one. Try E minor over it and you'll see. Forget the chords this time and concentrate on sounds. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 20 2016, 11:37 PM
Ahhhhh thanks Gab, I thought I had to change position for each chord change blink.gif
Can you please explain why E minor can be used over all of these chords.
Cheers bro
smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 20 2016, 11:46 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 21 2016, 04:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 20 2016, 07:37 PM) *
Ahhhhh thanks Gab, I thought I had to change position for each chord change blink.gif
Can you please explain why E minor can be used over all of these chords.
Cheers bro
smile.gif

Ok, we will go deeper but please don't get scared by joining the collab because of the complex info.

All these chords belong to G major tonality, or its relative E minor. So if we harmonize in thirds the scale, we will get this chords. The extensions are just embellishment to add an extra "colour" to the chords. If we go deep with the analysis, the first part (G - D - Em - Cadd9) is in G major. The reason why it's G instead of Em is that G sounds like the root chord when playing it, the progression starts with it, and if we would want to finish it right there with a release feel, we would play G, not Em. However, both tonalities include the same chords.

Then, everything turns around E minor and that why the tune modulates to the relative minor key. If you play the second progression, as well as the following one, you will notice that now Em is the root chord.

So to summarize, you could play G major over the first two rounds and then E minor, but as the task here is to focus on sounds not scales, just use Em as template and let your ear and mind create the melodies.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 21 2016, 07:52 AM
Ok thanks Gab,

That kind of makes sense, I will have to read it a few times before I fully understand (it's the kind of thing I want to know AND understand, hence the suggestion for the theory thread, which is great by the way smile.gif) but I will go for the G and Em thing for now.

Got people coming to my home tonight to view some work that needs doing so hopefully if I can get rid of them I will have a go tonight.

Cheers dude

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Jan 21 2016, 09:19 AM
Learning Tone Master
Interesting!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 21 2016, 12:44 PM
GMC Founder
IN!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jan 21 2016, 12:52 PM
Learning Roadie
So to summarize, you could play G major over the first two rounds and then E minor, but as the task here is to focus on sounds not scales, just use Em as template and let your ear and mind create the melodies.

It's the same shapes and notes ...... between GMajor and Eminor melodic, do you mean Eminor harmonic or penta ?

IN!!!

yeepee !!

Laurent

This post has been edited by fzalfa: Jan 21 2016, 12:56 PM

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Timmez
Jan 21 2016, 04:58 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'm also in.
I've recorded some of my inspirations so you can give me some advice.

Greetz Tim

[attachment=43876:guitar_p...visation.wmv]

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 21 2016, 08:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tflava @ Jan 21 2016, 12:58 PM) *
I'm also in.
I've recorded some of my inspirations so you can give me some advice.

Greetz Tim

[attachment=43876:guitar_p...visation.wmv]

Hi Tim! Great to find a take from you! There are some cool melodies in this solo. I like the fact that you created really clear phrases along the whole solo. I think that it's a good starting point.

The section from 00:00 to 00:31 sounds nice. You have to put special attention into your bending and vibrato technique because you don't look comfortable with them and the phrases has room to make it sound more expressive.

I can't hear well the part that starts at 00:31, the low strings aren't recorded well with your camera, but from what I can hear it seems that keeps a similar rhythm but with less interesting melodies so I would try something different here. Have you tried singing melodies and then transposing them to guitar? This can be a good trick to avoid playing similar patterns.

At 01:01: The melodies sound good but I would use some other elements to make them sound a bit different. Try using slide, more vibrato, bending, harmonics?, microbends, playing the melody in the same string, or other ideas to make your phrasing less predictable. When you are reaching the end of this section, everything starts to grow and you play a bend. It's the moment to pick stronger! Work on dynamics. If you have some time check out this video:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jan 21 2016, 08:53 PM
Learning Roadie
no reaction or comment about my last take ?

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 21 2016, 08:55 PM
As mentioned by Mr Vai at 1:49 wink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzgoytR10As

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 21 2016, 10:09 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 21 2016, 09:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jan 20 2016, 12:23 PM) *
My lord , my soul is belong to you....

I'm in of course

edit:

a sample ?

i can add some violin......

https://soundcloud.com/laurent-377054242/love-piano-1

Laurent

Hi laurent! I'm sorry I've missed your take! I love it. You've made your guitar sound like a violin, it fits so beautiful over this backing track and will be really useful to build the final mix. Thanks a lot mate!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 21 2016, 10:25 PM
Ok Gab,
WOW! I've just had my first go at this, I got totally lost (in a good way), I stayed in E minor, played the pentatonic e minor with root on the 12th fret, I was getting shivers down my spine smile.gif. The one problem I had was that I was getting drowned out by the piano in the louder parts. Any tips to help with that?
I will post some sounds tomorrow. This is stirring my soul smile.gif.
Thanks smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 22 2016, 07:58 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jan 21 2016, 10:48 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi laurent! I'm sorry I've missed your take! I love it. You've made your guitar sound like a violin, it fits so beautiful over this backing track and will be really useful to build the final mix. Thanks a lot mate!

your are welcome !!

i think we can do a relly great collab !!!

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 22 2016, 01:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 21 2016, 06:25 PM) *
Ok Gab,
WOW! I've just had my first go at this, I got totally lost (in a good way), I stayed in E minor, played the pentatonic e minor with root on the 12th fret, I was getting shivers down my spine smile.gif. The one problem I had was that I was getting drowned out by the piano in the louder parts. Any tips to help with that?
I will post some sounds tomorrow. This is stirring my soul smile.gif.
Thanks smile.gif

I'm really happy to read this. smile.gif

"The only opponent is within" - Zen Guitar

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 22 2016, 01:45 PM
Thanks Gab,

How do I keep my guitar quiet for the quiet parts and louder for the louder parts? Is it all down to dynamics? I find it hard to adjust the guitar volume while playing a I lose flow.
Cheers buddy

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jan 22 2016, 03:46 PM
Learning Roadie
Yes!!! laugh.gif

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:43 AM