3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Trem Too High?
bleez
Jul 1 2014, 12:43 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I mentioned in my new ibby thead about the angle of the trem. Not having much experience with them Im not sure if it needs to be setup.
can anyone tell from these pics if it looks wrong?

[attachment=37782:T1.jpg]

[attachment=37783:t2.jpg]

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 1 2014, 01:27 PM
GMC:er
Yeah it seems the trem. is actually a bit low and angled to the body too much. First fix the angle then adjust height to your preference, finally intonation smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 1 2014, 01:38 PM
Learning Tone Master

Typically, the tremolo should look parallel to the body of the guitar if things are setup properly.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jul 1 2014, 05:41 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
It has been my experience that Ibanez guitars are setup pretty well right off the shelf , so I am a little surprised to see this. It definitely should be flat. Does your Ibanez have a spring tension dial on the back? It makes setup go a bit smoother. Have it setup , or dive in and do the deed yourself. smile.gif

[attachment=37784:Picture_11.jpg]

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jul 1 2014, 06:22 PM
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/angle.htm

My RG920, thats how mine is setup.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 1 2014, 09:03 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Rich, unfortunately I dont have one of those wheels on the back.

thanks for the pics, guys, very helpful.
So, basically, the trem should be sitting more level like the green line and not like the white line ( which it is now ) ?
[attachment=37787:t3.jpg]

Im going to take it back to the store at the weekend and ask them to do it, so I just want to be sure what it is Im asking them to do rolleyes.gif
Also, can anyone give me an idea on how long it might take the average guitar dude to set this up properly, Just so I have a rough idea of the size of the job Im asking them to do.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 1 2014, 09:19 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 1 2014, 09:03 PM) *

So, basically, the trem should be sitting more level like the green line and not like the white line ( which it is now ) ?

Im going to take it back to the store at the weekend and ask them to do it, so I just want to be sure what it is Im asking them to do rolleyes.gif
Also, can anyone give me an idea on how long it might take the average guitar dude to set this up properly, Just so I have a rough idea of the size of the job Im asking them to do.

Exactly, green line is where it should be!
In all honesty, if your local dude can't do it in a half hour or under then there's something wrong! When you take it to the shop ask if you can watch what he's doing so that you get an idea of how to set it up yourself. They shouldn't mind you watching!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jul 1 2014, 09:57 PM
Just open up that back plate, give each screw a half turn then re-tune it. Then my guess is another half turn each screw and you should be about spot on or super close to it. smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 2 2014, 12:29 AM
Yup it should be flat smile.gif If you have the double/triple spring system underneath, you can just tighten the big screws in to the body or you can just have it setup and intonated at the shop smile.gif Make sure to tell them you want the action low and loose smile.gif and you want the trem flat and floating. And for goodness sake put 9s on it smile.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 1 2014, 04:03 PM) *

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 2 2014, 08:14 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
thanks for the info guys, that's perfect.

Hmmm Im kinda tempted to try and set it up myself now mellow.gif I'll watch a few vids and see how confident I feel after that smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jul 2 2014, 09:27 AM
The worst that can happen is you need to turn the screw the other way and loosen the tension to bring it back up.

--------------------
Guitars:
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 2 2014, 04:08 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 2 2014, 08:14 AM) *
thanks for the info guys, that's perfect.

Hmmm Im kinda tempted to try and set it up myself now mellow.gif I'll watch a few vids and see how confident I feel after that smile.gif

PM me if you need a hand.
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 2 2014, 04:25 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jul 2 2014, 04:08 PM) *
PM me if you need a hand.
smile.gif

thanks matey, very kind of you smile.gif
I'll do a bit of reading on the subject and see if its something Im up to trying. cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 3 2014, 07:42 AM
Instructor
Hey mate - I also learned how to set these up myself and adjusting the springs with the screwdriver as Spase suggested, is pretty much the way to do it. Drive the screws in for a turn each and re-tune to guitar, if it's still angled, try a quarter of a turn for each and re-tune. Do this until the guitar is tuned and the trem is not angled anymore. See, this is why I totally dislike Floyd Rose systems laugh.gif

Too much fuss smile.gif Let us know how it went, ok?

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 3 2014, 08:32 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 3 2014, 07:42 AM) *
See, this is why I totally dislike Floyd Rose systems laugh.gif

yeah..... It did cross my mind as well cool.gif hopefully I'll get into the swing of them.
I dont know if adjusting it with affect the intonation, it might be best to take it back to the store and watch the guy doing it first dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 3 2014, 03:15 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 3 2014, 08:32 AM) *
yeah..... It did cross my mind as well cool.gif hopefully I'll get into the swing of them.
I dont know if adjusting it with affect the intonation, it might be best to take it back to the store and watch the guy doing it first dry.gif

If, at some point, the intonation was originally set correctly then it shouldn't be affected by tightening the Claw Screws to get it reset correctly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 3 2014, 09:18 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jul 3 2014, 03:15 PM) *
If, at some point, the intonation was originally set correctly then it shouldn't be affected by tightening the Claw Screws to get it reset correctly.

Well that's cool smile.gif I just assumed it would get messed up by adjusting the trem, awesome. thanks dude.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 3 2014, 10:40 PM
Should be ok as long as you don't adjust the saddle pieces smile.gif Just takes a screw driver to tighten the two screws on bottom but loosen the strings a bit first so that you don't pop them smile.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 3 2014, 04:18 PM) *
Well that's cool smile.gif I just assumed it would get messed up by adjusting the trem, awesome. thanks dude.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 4 2014, 10:50 AM
Instructor
I think that taking it to a pro setup and watching closely how it's done would be the greatest first step for you as a first time Floyd user. For me, the experience of one of my former guitar teachers who taught me how to do it and then supervised me while doing it a few times, was invaluable, as now I became surefooted in the operation.

See if the guy at the setup is willing to share his craft a bit smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 4 2014, 09:08 PM
Well said smile.gif You can flatten the trem with a simple scredriver but having it setup and intonated by a pro is a good idea smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 4 2014, 05:50 AM) *
I think that taking it to a pro setup and watching closely how it's done would be the greatest first step for you as a first time Floyd user. For me, the experience of one of my former guitar teachers who taught me how to do it and then supervised me while doing it a few times, was invaluable, as now I became surefooted in the operation.

See if the guy at the setup is willing to share his craft a bit smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:55 PM