2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Learning Songs By Ear
superize
Jun 14 2011, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
How many of you guys are learning song by ear?

I just started trying to learn songs by ear and so far i have learned the first two minutes of heavenlys The dark memories and also the whole song Sinners Defeat by MPE.

I think its real funny to learn songs even thought it doesent always get right. I will upload som clips of me playing songs i learned by ear tonight.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jun 14 2011, 02:00 PM
GMC:er
hate to learn songs by ear or by tab tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 14 2011, 02:14 PM
Instructor
hey superize biggrin.gif

I think your choice is excellent wink.gif learning by ear, will develop a very intricate and valuable asset, namely YOUR EARS tongue.gif if you can make a good connection between those two and your fingers - nothing can stop you wink.gif bravo mate!

+Quote Post
slash48
Jun 14 2011, 02:24 PM
You should really get a slow-downer if you're gonna learn by ear in my opinion. It's not so easy to figure out Jason Becker/ Paul Gilbert/ Guthrie Govan licks when they're going so fast without one. And sometimes...it's impossible. Guthrie Govan uses "the amazing slow-downer" or something like that. I use it and love it. Might be worth a look.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 14 2011, 02:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (slash48 @ Jun 14 2011, 01:24 PM) *
You should really get a slow-downer if you're gonna learn by ear in my opinion. It's not so easy to figure out Jason Becker/ Paul Gilbert/ Guthrie Govan licks when they're going so fast without one. And sometimes...it's impossible. Guthrie Govan uses "the amazing slow-downer" or something like that. I use it and love it. Might be worth a look.

Any download links ? I'm curious biggrin.gif I can't figure out some of Guthrie's stuff and I'd love to smile.gif

+Quote Post
slash48
Jun 14 2011, 02:29 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 14 2011, 09:25 AM) *
Any download links ? I'm curious biggrin.gif I can't figure out some of Guthrie's stuff and I'd love to smile.gif

Yeah, of course! I'm positive this is what Guthrie uses (It mentions the program in his Creative Guitar book."-http://www.ronimusic.com/. There's a free trial but you have to pay $50 to buy which sounds awful but once you try the trial, you'll figure out it's worth it. The amazing thing about this is it slows down without changing the pitch and you can loop difficult parts. I think Roni Music also has one for video that might help with Guthrie's crazy fingerings too!

This post has been edited by slash48: Jun 14 2011, 02:32 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
superize
Jun 14 2011, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I use Audacity to slow down tracks

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
superize
Jun 14 2011, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
slash48
Jun 14 2011, 02:38 PM
QUOTE (superize @ Jun 14 2011, 09:33 AM) *

I used that when I hadn't heard of this. The quality wasn't very good as you slow the thing down though, so I switched to the amazing slow-downer. I find the amazing slow-downer easier to use as far as the user interface because it was MADE for musicians to slow down parts. It has keyboard shortcuts and stuff like that. But whatever works I guess.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dark dude
Jun 14 2011, 02:58 PM
I'm still in the early days as far as ear training goes, but this is definately one of the most fun ways to attack that area.

I've been figuring out simple songs just to cement intervals into my head, but I still have chord and scale training to go.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jun 14 2011, 03:03 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
I have exclusivly used my ears for the last year...even when recieving a solo with tabs from my teacher, I rather prefered to listen to the solo slowed down, than to use the tabs. Tabs is good in some situations, but I have used nothing but tabs for my first 6 years, which I notice now has been kind of a mistake.

It takes more time to learn by ear, and it is sure more frustrating in the beginning, but already from an early stage, I at least find it much more rewarding smile.gif

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
superize
Jun 14 2011, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru

This is one song i learned by ear yesterday. It still not perfect in any ways.

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 14 2011, 03:52 PM
Learning songs by ear is a great way to work on your "Ear Training". Folks that never learn how to "Learn By Ear" can be at a bit of a disadvantage later on when jamming/writing with fellow musicians. Being able to hear a lick and play it back on the spot is a skill worth having.

It isn't easy. Especially at first. But it's worth it. Congrats on learning how to "learn" in this way. It will serve you well as you go. Nicely done on the vid!

Todd

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 14 2011, 04:01 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (superize @ Jun 14 2011, 04:20 PM) *

This is one song i learned by ear yesterday. It still not perfect in any ways.

Very good playing!
You have made a crucial move in your practicing habits.
Developing ear will boost your skills considerably.

Keep up the good work.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Jun 14 2011, 05:51 PM
Learning Tone Master
It is much more rewarding and accurate to learn by ear. After all, if you want to be a musician, you want to be able to learn and recognize things by ear. smile.gif
But of course, if you're coming home late at night from work, and all you want to do is to play your favourite bands' solos, then of course, by all means, learn it by tab. It's all about where you want to go with your playing smile.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 14 2011, 06:11 PM
Learning Roadie
I have been learning a lot of songs by ear. I need to get back to GMC lessons! laugh.gif

I use Audacity to slow things down too, but I don't usually slow it down; I just listen to it over and over.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 14 2011, 09:02 PM
Instructor
It's great to develop your ear through songs, and this is hard arrangement to pickup from. You did great job mate, keep it up. This develops relative ear.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
moleman
Jun 15 2011, 10:27 AM
Learning Roadie
Man, I am TERRIBLE at this, but everyone says it is really important.
I have only ever learned from tabs, and after joining GMC I realized my playing level is a lot lower than I thought it was. I was just copying everything straight from tab, and then wondering why it didn't sound so good unsure.gif

Thank you the for slow-downer link. I will definitely try it, and also the ear trainer recommended in this thread.

Can you learn to copy tones by ear too? I have a pod x3 and I really want to copy Eddie Van Halen's tone etc. Can you do this just by listening and experimenting?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 15 2011, 02:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (moleman @ Jun 15 2011, 09:27 AM) *
I have only ever learned from tabs, and after joining GMC I realized my playing level is a lot lower than I thought it was. I was just copying everything straight from tab, and then wondering why it didn't sound so good unsure.gif

Thank you the for slow-downer link. I will definitely try it, and also the ear trainer recommended in this thread.

Can you learn to copy tones by ear too? I have a pod x3 and I really want to copy Eddie Van Halen's tone etc. Can you do this just by listening and experimenting?

Of course smile.gif but it's a lot of tweaking here and there so you'll have to work a bit to get it right. The best practice for ear training in my opinion is to train your ears in the morning as early as possible p the sense of hearing is most receptive and fresh in the morning smile.gif and they usually say that we are most capable of learning and creating before 12 o clock at noon tongue.gif I don't think it's so true smile.gif

+Quote Post
Shuma13
Jun 15 2011, 05:00 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (moleman @ Jun 15 2011, 09:27 AM) *

I know what you mean. I am in the exact same boat.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:59 PM