The Search For Amp Continues!, help me decide!
VinceG
Jun 12 2008, 08:49 PM
GMC:er
Amp after amp of not finding the right tone for me, decided to stick with the music that made me love guitar as much as I do now. I have searched everywhere but not finding the right amp that I really wanted. This came out as Marshall's, Engl's, Laney's,Peavey's, Orange, and bajillion other more.

I was listening to Andy Timmons last night while trying to fall asleep. I really think that Timmons inspired me more in guitar playing than any other band or artist out there. His masterful tone is just massive and smooth.

So yea, decided to buy either a Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace or a Lonestar Special.

Anyone got experience with any of them and can give me tips and advice on how versatile or non versatile it is? Music that is meant to be played and not to be played in them. I know I can't play "Metal" in them, but I'll stick to my Crate for Metal abuse hehe.

Thanks tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by VinceG: Jun 12 2008, 08:51 PM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Jun 12 2008, 11:11 PM
Instructor
mmm you should remember that a good tone is not only a good amp. There are lot of more effects that you can add... For me for instance is really important to get an addition pedal drive, a compressor, etc

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jun 13 2008, 02:05 AM
Yep, I knew that. I don't even like using effects. I think for the most part of my playing guitar, I've only had 1 pedal, and thats a distortion. I'm gonna try both of them this weekend so we'll just see.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Jun 13 2008, 04:34 AM
I think the the stilleto duece would be your best bet.. imo it has better distortion... and nearly as good cleans.

but i found a cool video where andy explains his rig.. might prove usefull..

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=41...WsLsM&hl=en

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
FrankW
Jun 13 2008, 05:19 AM
Andys' studio rig for his newest album, the white one, included mostly old Marshalls. Mesa Boogie got input from him while they were working on the design of the Stilettos. Andy swears that Boogie nailed the old Marshall tones with the Stiletto Deuce. The Deuce is capable of extreme high gain, also. The Lonestar is also a killer amp with some of the best clean tones in the business. The lead tones of the Lonestar are not as high gain, but are sweet and musical. It depends on what style you're going for. I'm convinced that you can't go wrong with either of these killer amps. Go to the Boogie website and read all the reviews, you'll see what I mean.

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jun 13 2008, 06:00 AM
I'm sure on which ever I choose, I'm gonna be extremely happy. Right now, I'm mostly in the side of Lonestar (standard). I think with its versatility in clean tones and gain, I will be extremely happy. Plus, its home/studio and gig worthy material. I love how you can choose the output power wattage to a 10w, 50w, and a 100w. I'm sure it will be pricey, but it could also be the end of all my amp buying for years.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
FrankW
Jun 13 2008, 06:44 AM
QUOTE (VinceG @ Jun 13 2008, 06:00 AM) *
I'm sure on which ever I choose, I'm gonna be extremely happy. Right now, I'm mostly in the side of Lonestar (standard). I think with its versatility in clean tones and gain, I will be extremely happy. Plus, its home/studio and gig worthy material. I love how you can choose the output power wattage to a 10w, 50w, and a 100w. I'm sure it will be pricey, but it could also be the end of all my amp buying for years.

I'll bet you're right!

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 13 2008, 07:24 AM
Learning Roadie
That lonestar looks pretty awesome.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jun 13 2008, 07:55 AM
Instructor
I dont think you can go wrong with any of those two amps.
Have you had the chance to try them out a store?

QUOTE (Tjchep @ Jun 13 2008, 05:34 AM) *
I think the the stilleto duece would be your best bet.. imo it has better distortion... and nearly as good cleans.

but i found a cool video where andy explains his rig.. might prove usefull..

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=41...WsLsM&hl=en

Thanks for the link smile.gif that was quite informational

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 13 2008, 08:19 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Why not buy both amps, and give the one you like the least to me? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jun 13 2008, 08:28 AM
No Trond, I'm going to Guitar Center about 45 min away from me to try em out tomorrow. There the closest dealer I have. They gave me a price for it new: Stilleto Ace for $1600 and Lonestar for $1700, I think this is the Specials price. Seems reasonable since the Peavey 6505+ that I was looking at was about $1800 half stack, marshall kerry king head was about $1800 just for the head, and the Engl thunder is about $1299. I know I can't really compare a high gain amp to the Stiletto and Lonestar, but tone wise, versatility, ability of recording/home/practice/gig make the Boogies a steal for me!

@audiopaal: I wish I could buy both of them! If I ever win the lottery, Mesa for every GMC member!

This post has been edited by VinceG: Jun 13 2008, 08:29 AM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 13 2008, 08:42 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (VinceG @ Jun 13 2008, 03:05 AM) *
Yep, I knew that. I don't even like using effects. I think for the most part of my playing guitar, I've only had 1 pedal, and thats a distortion. I'm gonna try both of them this weekend so we'll just see.

IMO a "useless" pedal. If you have an amp with good distortion in it's own. The only useful effects as I see it are EQ, Delay and Wah.

If an amp lacks reverb that would be a good pedal too.
And if it lacks descent distortion, sure, a dist pedal. But if that's the case I'd say you've got the wrong amp.

None of the amps you've been looking at lack distortion so I belive you're on the right track.

Getting an amp is a "picky" business, takes an enormous emount of time to find the right one. But really, in the long run I don't think it' matters that much. Now I have a H&K Switchblade and I'm very happy with it. But if I had a Marshall JVM I'd surely be happy with that too being able to key in the sounds I'd want. I think one will alsways find ways no matter the amp you've got but it's great to feel "I choose the right one for me".

Good luck with it whichever you choose! smile.gif

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jun 13 2008, 08:50 AM
thanks MickeM! We'll see how they feel when I get to play with em tomorrow. I feel good about it though.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Jun 13 2008, 09:00 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (VinceG @ Jun 13 2008, 03:05 AM) *

well, if you only want a good amp just chack both and decide... but remember to put the amp loud enough smile.gif

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 13 2008, 09:06 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (VinceG @ Jun 13 2008, 09:28 AM) *
No Trond, I'm going to Guitar Center about 45 min away from me to try em out tomorrow. There the closest dealer I have. They gave me a price for it new: Stilleto Ace for $1600 and Lonestar for $1700, I think this is the Specials price. Seems reasonable since the Peavey 6505+ that I was looking at was about $1800 half stack, marshall kerry king head was about $1800 just for the head, and the Engl thunder is about $1299. I know I can't really compare a high gain amp to the Stiletto and Lonestar, but tone wise, versatility, ability of recording/home/practice/gig make the Boogies a steal for me!

@audiopaal: I wish I could buy both of them! If I ever win the lottery, Mesa for every GMC member!

That sounds great, hope you win sometime then biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jun 15 2008, 03:38 AM
So, I tried out a bunch of Mesa Boogie earlier in the GC store. I tried the Single Rectifer, 5:25. Stiletto Ace, Mark IV, and Lonestar Special. I gotta say, that my 2 choices of Stiletto Ace and Lonestar were the best suited for my needs. Both creamy lead, crunch, voicings and a clean tone to die for. Seriously, now I know why these amps are expensive, its just impossible to get a bad tone out of these things. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Lone Star special, but I might try both the Stiletto Ace and Lonestar again before I buy it in a month.

Oh yea, the 30 watt lonestar special weighted about 90lbs. Very freaking heavy haha.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:05 AM