How Do I Get This Sound?
MichaelRdk
Oct 6 2019, 09:59 AM
Learning Roadie
So i recently found this guy, and i'm in love with his tone and this is just the kind of music that i really enjoy playing, but i'm a little confused about his tone.
Cause it like screams alot if you can call it that, but i'm not sure if that is just how his tone is, or if he is doing alot of pinch harmonics ?
Cause at the same time i think it sounds more like a half pinch harmonic, it's not just a note, but it is not a full screaming pinch harmonic and it just adds so much to the song.

So can you guys clarify for me what is actually going on ? cause, atleast with my skills i can only make either a full screaming pinch harmonic or just a note with nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP8EuvWgCko

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 6 2019, 11:38 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (MichaelRdk @ Oct 6 2019, 08:59 AM) *

Very good share. This strongly represents some of my (personal) liking's of a guitar tone too. There is some technique involved in his playing yes but I'll share the gear aspect. In a nut shell, this is what a guitar having strong (natural) harmonics sound like with a good balance of overdrive/saturation.

Pickups; low-output, open-ish sounding humbuckers is a must (singlecoils can work too). The higher the output, the more such harmonics are filtered.

The highest output PU I know of that can (sort-of) pull this off are the duncan distortion pickups. Mid output is most dimarzio stuff and bridge PU associated with them (these produce more harmonics than overall duncan stuff, even pinch harmonics from neck pickup is a breeze with some). But options really increase with true'er PAF type (low-output), the ones that can pull-off such distortion too (shouldn't produce treble that hurts ears, not super vintage). Thing is such pickups doesn't sound very tight/in-your-face with strong distortion but this is what you get for lead tones. They also sense HO/PO type techniques very well and can be used to test pickups.

ps; You could also try increasing the height of screw poles of your pickup, no guaranties it will sound better but worth a try.

Guitar; Mahogany isn't a must I guess but we need more "ringing" natural tone than a typical ibanez rg. Floyd or any type of floating bridge usually sucks harmonics. Playing a guitar acoustically gives the best idea, it doesn't have to sound loud but must give a feel of depth. It doesn't have to be a LP family of guitar, personally I thing tele's can sound like that too but I didn't have much luck with strats...

Just guessing but it reminded me of the neural dsp plini tone as amp sim. , listen to the sustain especially (very mild wah-type thing happens, change in tone represents what more harmonics can do with distortion).

Edit; Kris has a few guitar that to my knowledge overall has low t- mid. output, some paf type pickups. You can check his video's to get an idea of sounds or his opinions about them too.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Oct 6 2019, 11:58 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 6 2019, 04:31 PM
Great tone for sure.
And +1 to Mertay's assessment.

The only thing I notice that I think may be a bit of recording 'trickery' is that the faster (Holdsworthesque) lines seem to have more gain and compression on them.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Oct 6 2019, 06:02 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 6 2019, 04:31 PM) *
Great tone for sure.
And +1 to Mertay's assessment.

The only thing I notice that I think may be a bit of recording 'trickery' is that the faster (Holdsworthesque) lines seem to have more gain and compression on them.

gain is way overdone these days and you can not get this with with higher gain .
You need as much gain as you can get without having to use a noise gate which is usaully in the 2 to 3 range , a drive in front of the amp ( low gain = high tone and level )will help bring out those notes >The sustain he gets if from aggressive vibrato against the frets and that is the majority of technique ( huge vibrato with out going out of tune )

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 6 2019, 11:51 PM
The original post doesn't show much about what he is using. I see an orange amp behind him so maybe just set to mid/low gain? The rest of it is just his playing. So wads and wads of practice will help there when playing with very little gain.
As for Plni, who also has some amazing low mid gain tones.
The obvious place to start would be to go grab the plini plugin that this guy is using and grab the preset (probably on the web site/tone share) that he is using. That's a big part of it. He's not using an amp. He's using a plugin, so go get the plugin smile.gif Once you get that, unless you have a strandberg, you'll need to use whatever guitar you have to the best of your ability. Much of "tone" comes from the fingers. He's using low/mid gain tone to great effect. But, he's also a great player. Wads and wads of practice will help on that front. So grab the plugin, try to use his settings as close as you can get them, and then try to play a few of the licks he is playing so you can get a handle on how much pick pressure he is using. That should get you started smile.gif

Here is a video of the guy in the studio explaining how to set the plini plugin to get the tone that you might like as it's similar. To just follow the instructions and use the plugin.

Notice he is also putting an EQ on the guitar bus to cut everything below 100 hz. Also a compressor on the main bus. That's it. That's his entire tone 'secret". smile.gif Happy to help.

As a bonus here is plini himself telling how he tweaks the plugin
All of this suggestions would work on real gear as well. So the same tweaks, just used on an amp/pedals/EQ. But it would be much simpler just to grab the plugin.
Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 7 2019, 02:17 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 7 2019, 03:38 PM
Instructor
Nice! I can hear some Petrucci in his phrasing. I think that you can get this tone with different amp emulators, like the one that Todd and Mertay recommended.

However, there are also two important things that made the tone: The guitarist's technique and that amazing guitar.

Darius Wave (GMC Instructor) gets similar tones using free vsts, and he shares his settings for each lesson. Check it out:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Ballad...ics-phrasing-2/

And if you like that type of phrasing, I think that you'll also enjoy Piotr's Guitar Love Piano series.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/guitar_loves_piano/

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
MichaelRdk
Oct 8 2019, 12:39 AM
Learning Roadie
So when you say technique, is that meant as a specific technique like for example a pinch harmonic, vibrato, palm muting and so on, or is it not that "simple" ?
I will try and have a look at what you linked there Todd.

And yes, i absolutely love the more slower paced melodic songs.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 8 2019, 04:24 AM
His overall playing technique is quite good. He is using a variety of specific techniques together to get the result he is getting. Also, he is clearly a good player. A big part of tone really does come from the hands especially when not using a ton of gain and not using a ton of effects. All that is left if the player. A LOT of practice is in your future to be sure, in order to play this well. The guy is a very good player. He is not a "shredder" but he is a darn good player. He's got a nice guitar, but a great player can play just about any guitar and have it sound pretty good. He's not using a lot of gain or fx here, so you can probably get pretty close to his tone using either free vsts (the ones Darious and mertay use, but you have to stack them up as none of them do everything) or just get the plini plugin and have it all in one spot. Whatever works. But once you have a similar tone, it will come down to your playing. The links that GABE provided are a great start!
Todd

QUOTE (MichaelRdk @ Oct 7 2019, 07:39 PM) *
So when you say technique, is that meant as a specific technique like for example a pinch harmonic, vibrato, palm muting and so on, or is it not that "simple" ?
I will try and have a look at what you linked there Todd.

And yes, i absolutely love the more slower paced melodic songs.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 8 2019, 06:08 PM
Actually with such guitars it gets harder to shred. Although we're in a time where pickup output is very unimportant (for digital or thinking of the variety of pedals...), there is a reason most shredders still prefer high-output PU's. Specially on fast scale runs notes that aren't picked won't be audible.

With open sounding (PAF type or some high-output but bright PU's) as mentioned HO/PO's, or the vibrato stuff the guy does reflect stronger but any small mistake, unneeded string vibration will immediately be noticed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MichaelRdk
Oct 9 2019, 12:14 AM
Learning Roadie
So i tried some more and i think i can kind of get a hint of what i'm searching, but just wanted to share this with you just so you have some actual sound to go from. I will still look at the links you guys kindly gave, my work times just sucks this week so it will have to wait until the weekend until i can try it out smile.gif

don't mind the mistakes and sloppiness, i only just kinda learned that little bit to try and show you what kind of sound i got right now.
Also, it was not a try at some odd handsign, but a 9 as in it was the 9th time i tried to record it cause i kept fucking it up, mainly cause i forgot where the next note was laugh.gif

Also, notice the beautiful B string vibrato right over the edge of the fretboard as a strong finish on the last note xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOmFZoN1hHY...eature=youtu.be

Can't figure out how to make the video show here and not just as a link.

This post has been edited by MichaelRdk: Oct 9 2019, 12:24 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 9 2019, 01:00 AM
Your tone is very good here smile.gif Using BIAS from the sound of it? Bias is great. The only thing is you may have a pinch too much gain for getting the tone that is in the original video. Hes barely got any gain on many of the passages and is using pick pressure to increase the signal and activate more gain. It's possible to just pick harder and drive the gain a bit more then pick lighter and get less gain. This gives a very dynamic tone which is what I think your going for. The tone is your video is good but it's much less dynamic. It's the same amount of gain the entire time just due to the setting. Try lowering it and for certain passages just strike the strings harder.
Todd
QUOTE (MichaelRdk @ Oct 8 2019, 07:14 PM) *
So i tried some more and i think i can kind of get a hint of what i'm searching, but just wanted to share this with you just so you have some actual sound to go from. I will still look at the links you guys kindly gave, my work times just sucks this week so it will have to wait until the weekend until i can try it out smile.gif

don't mind the mistakes and sloppiness, i only just kinda learned that little bit to try and show you what kind of sound i got right now.
Also, it was not a try at some odd handsign, but a 9 as in it was the 9th time i tried to record it cause i kept fucking it up, mainly cause i forgot where the next note was laugh.gif

Also, notice the beautiful B string vibrato right over the edge of the fretboard as a strong finish on the last note xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOmFZoN1hHY...eature=youtu.be

Can't figure out how to make the video show here and not just as a link.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 9 2019, 03:11 PM
As mentioned - back off the gain. Your tone is a 'good' tone but it's not like the vid you posted. You need less gain to get the nuance of the original video.

*Vibrato speed isn't random in it's application. If you listen to the great players (any instrument or voice), you'll notice that the speed of their vibrato is either a multiple or a fraction of the tempo of the song.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 9 2019, 10:20 PM
Just add, his pick attack has more treble than yours. I don't know your chain either but if you have an overdrive which has its drive knob active first thing I'd do is lower it all the way down.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 10 2019, 02:33 AM
So in short, a bit more treble, a bit less gain, smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:30 PM