2 Pages V   1 2 >  
The Chief Says Hi, "You're gonna need a bigger axe"
Chief Brody
Jan 10 2008, 07:28 AM
GMC:er
Hello GMC,

A certified newbie says hello! Here's the low down.

Name: Rob McMillan
Nationality: English
Current location: Japan (Gifu prefecture)
Current employment: English teacher

I've been out in Japan for 5 months now in my first "proper" job and it's afforded me both the time and the money to fund a dream of mine - playing guitar!

I've wanted to play for many years but didn't have the confidence to follow it through, convincing myself that i was too old to start and had no "natural talent" (it didn't help that a number of my friends at University were/are fantastic guitar players who started at a young age).

But when New Year rolled around i realised that if i'd just taken the plunge when i first felt the desire to play i would already have 5+ years of practice under my belt and be achieving things i can currently only dream of! After this realisation i decided that i would not wait any longer and broke out of the vicious cycle.

I didn't feel my newbieness justified buying anything super expensive (i'm saving that for when i head back to the UK in a few years) so i went to the local music store and, with the advice of the super-friendly assistant, i purchased a Fender (Japan) Jaguar and a Yamaha Compass series Electro-acoustic, both of which i already love playing.

After the initial excitement of finally owning a guitar i realised that i needed a bit of direction, which brought me here. I can't fault the friendliness of the members nor the standard of the lessons here, as a beginner i find myself quite intimidated by the sheer amount of work i've let myself in for but at the same time i love the challenge, i can't put down my guitars and try to get at least 3 hours of practice in after work. I know now that i'm going to be playing until i die! cool.gif

I'm currently mixing it up between a couple of exercises, a standard lesson or two and i give myself one song that i like/has inspired me and try my hand and transcribing and learning to play it. This feels like the right balance for me and i figure that as long as i maintain focus and dedication with the knowledge of good technique i'll achieve what i'm aiming for. Currently the aim is to be able to play the music i listen to all the time such as blues/funk/rock, although i'm definitely beginning to appreciate the shred since coming here wink.gif . As long as i maintain a focus on my goals, i figure the more techniques i'm exposed to the better!

Anyhoo, i'm currently at work and have a class full of kids desperate to learn some English!

This is a fantastic site with a great community, keep it up!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Maximus
Jan 10 2008, 07:34 AM
Welcome to GMC. I only wish I had this place as a resource when I started to learn back in the old days. This place gives you the most bang for the buck that you will ever find. Enjoy yourself. You will be absolutely amazed at the things you will learn here in record time. The community aspect is awesome and it keeps you motivated. Good luck! Max

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Maximus: Jan 10 2008, 07:35 AM

--------------------

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ibanez rg 750, Ibanez Mikro, Washburn Acoustic
Amps: Crate GX 1600 1/2 Stack, Line 6 Spider 2, Vintage Kustom Tube Head
Effects: Line 6 POD X3 Live, Line 6 PocketPod
Misc: Line 6 FBV Express Foot Switch/Volume/Wah-Wah Pedal

+Quote Post
Tomy Jeon
Jan 10 2008, 08:00 AM
Welcome to GMC Rob! smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Obi-Wan Kenobi dislikes babies!

+Quote Post
Gen
Jan 10 2008, 08:00 AM
Welcome man, enjoy your stay!

--------------------
"Fact is, nothing in the world bores me more than gear...If I played thru your rig, I would still sound like me. Van Halen would sound like Van Halen. Brian May...etc. Very early in my career I decided to focus on creating music and not being a guitar tech. Being a good guitar tech is a very different and extremely difficult job, so why not leave it to a pro?"

Marty Friedman -

Guitars: ESP LTD viper-500, a fake strat and an acoustic guitar( dont know the brand)
Amp: Randall RX20R
Effects: Boss mt 2 distortion pedal, Line 6 pod floor plus

+Quote Post
PlayAllDay
Jan 10 2008, 08:06 AM
Yes welcome Chief Brody!
GMC is the best place for you to come with such aspirations - I've checked out loads of sites and as Maximus said - it's the community/family vibe here that provides such great motivation for so many of us.
Glad to meet you and enjoy all your hours of guitar - enjoy each moment of it and before long you will be playing better than you ever thought you could.
When I very first learnt to bend strings (not on GMC sadly - I didn't know about it then) I sounded like a cat somebody had just stepped on and it was quite painful to practise at that stage. But I just kept aiming for the sound and praying my hand muscles would one day be stronger... and sure enough now I can bend it like Beckham - well not quite - but you get the idea laugh.gif

PAD

--------------------
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 10 2008, 09:13 AM
Instructor
Welcome chief, have fun playing. Check out some of my lessons in my signature, there is some fun funk and blues stuff.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Jan 10 2008, 09:31 AM
Welcome

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 10 2008, 09:46 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Hello & welcome to GMC smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 10 2008, 10:00 AM
Lets go fishing!
Welcome Rob !! You are very lucky to have started your journey here at GMC. You will how to do things correctly the first time and you have the greatest chance of being succesfull at guitar!

Good look and ask if you have any questions wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 10 2008, 10:57 AM
Instructor
Welcome m8! Have fun here!

I want to visit Japan one day! It's great to get your "proper" job somewhere outside your birth place - get to see the world smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 10 2008, 11:01 AM
Instructor
Welcome Rob!! smile.gif

Be aware of ph34r.gif s and enjoy your staying at GMC. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jan 10 2008, 11:39 AM
Get to da Chopper!
Welcome Chief biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 10 2008, 11:54 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Fantastic story !! Welcome to GMC man ! wink.gif cool.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Jan 10 2008, 02:58 PM
Instructor
Welcome Chief biggrin.gif

Have a nice stay here wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 11 2008, 10:48 PM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC chief! smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
Jan 11 2008, 11:37 PM
never too old to learn, mate. Enjoy your time and remember you get what you put in. In hours of practice smile.gif
Good luck!

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jan 12 2008, 04:22 AM
QUOTE (Paul Coutts @ Jan 11 2008, 04:37 PM) *
never too old to learn, mate. Enjoy your time and remember you get what you put in. In hours of practice smile.gif
Good luck!

Agreed! With practice, motivation and perseverance you can do it!! welcome smile.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
SEANCD2005
Jan 12 2008, 04:34 AM
welcome to gmc

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Jan 12 2008, 11:24 PM
Instructor
welcome to GMC

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jan 12 2008, 11:36 PM
Hey man, i dont know if anyone here has noticed it yet, but the quote on your subtitle is from the movie Jaws right? tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

i love sharks btw wub.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:43 PM