Dwr's Epic Practice Journal
DarkWaveRiffer
Mar 23 2012, 06:23 AM
GMC:er
This will chronicle my journey from 0 to Guitar Hero. I will be posting a beginning movie in the coming days as I get set up. I want to follow Fireballs lead, and video tape my progression as well. My daughter is 6 and she just started playing guitar. So having this record of my progress, will hopefully inspire her.

I call it EPIC Practice Journal because I am calling myself out to be great, and find my voice with guitar.

My influences: Metallica (The Black Album and earlier),Disturbed, Atomship, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, Amorphis, Dead Letter Circus, CKY, The Red, Volbeat, Five Finger Death Punch, Megadeth, 10 Years, 12 Stones, Gary Numan, In Flames, Manmade God, Muse, Saliva, Seether, Perfect Circle, Nirvana, Iron Maiden, Queens Ryche, Trouble, Bullet For My Valentine, Joe Bonamosso, SRV, Dark New Day, Black Lab, Adelle

As you can see I have a range of influences but mostly Metal, and Rock.

Background: I am 37 years old. I got my first guitar when I was 16. It was a Ibanez RG, and I still have it. I took a few lessons, but I was having issues with my mom, ended up moving back to my dad's, and didn't pick up the guitar until about 2 years ago.I was going through a rough patch in my life. Trying to find something that made my life feel worth it. My daughter gave me purpose, but something was still missing. I neglected to mention I had all these ideas about why I couldn't play guitar which to be honest I am still dealing with:
My fingers are crooked, My memory is bad, My eye sight isn't good,God didn't give me the talent to play, so I must not be meant to play. Those beliefs kept me from pursuing guitar. Then I saw a youtube video of a guy playing guitar with his feet! That killed all my execuses. I still had my Ibanez. Always swore I would learn to play it some day. Then I saw this red guitar online. An AX400 LTD. It was wicked looking. I just knew if I had that guitar I would learn to play.

I got the guitar. My cousin paid for it on his credit card, and I gave him the money for it.I picked it up at his apartment. His friends were over there, and of course everyone wanted to hear me play.I tried to make up some excuse of not playing, but before I knew it, I was taking the guitar out of the case, and plugging in. It was an awful experience. The look of "You suck" reflected back at me. I scoured the internet looking for a miracle that would teach me guitar as fast as possible. I found Metal Method. I bought it, and tried to get through disk 1, made some progress, but my old excuses were haunting.

Almost a year went by with me tooling around on my guitar with no real progress. I decided to get a guitar teacher.
First teacher was good, but narcasistic, and spent more time talking about his bad marriage, and showing off on the guitar, then teaching me. My second teacher was very good, but he had this dark cloud over him. He was either in a bad mood, or thinly masking his frustration with my failure to grasp what he was trying to teach me. He is actually one of Troy Stetina's old students. I just didn't feel comfortable with him. Then I found my current teacher. He is patient, and very good at helping me with techniques, and theory. I would say his own lacking is structure.

I mentioned this in my introduction, but I often hear music when I dream. Music I never heard before. I have been lucky enough to remember the melody, and lyrics sometimes, and write them down. My teacher put some of the to guitar, and recorded it. I can't wait until I am good enough to play this music I hear in my dreams.

Strengths: Creativity, Drive, Power Chords, Palm Muting, Hammer Ons, Tapping Can name a note on the fret board in less than 6 seconds.
Weaknesses: Rhythm, Lead, Speed, Accuracy Lack of Scale, and Chord knowledge, Pull offs, Bends

Goals: To be in a band in a year playing my own stuff.
Song I want to be able to play: Orion

I decided to follow Ben's Bushidos. I started task 1

March 21st. 2012 - Task 1 - 1 Hour

I learned the first part, and had issues with the triplettes.
Also did Todd Simpson's Lesson 1 0-60 (30 mins)

March 22 - 1 Hour practice - Task 1
I just got done doing an hour of task 1 of Ben's Bushidos. I know the whole piece, but my 16th notes, and triplettes are a little sloppy. I can play along nicely at regualr speed, but I need to clean up my picking. All in all happy with my progress. Looking forward to what tomorrow brings.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

My goal is to learn to play guitar like its my second language, and my first words to the world will be "Bite Me!".

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title: Air Guitarist

Guitarist Title thread

DWR's EPIC Practice Journal l

DarkWaveRiffer's Modern Music Mentored By Cosmin Thread

Lead Mastery Mentored by Gab

Attacking Scales Mentored By Alex Thread

Want to know how to practice for success?? Click here!!

Are you sabotaging your practice? Click here!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
DarkWaveRiffer
Apr 10 2012, 06:37 AM
Apr-9-2012
1 Hour
MRO - Played at 50% first part. Concentrated on clean sounding, getting rid of extra noise from notes that shouldn't be ringing.
Upstrokes is getting more fluid, and comfortable with. I am hoping to reach critical mass with the first part that will carry over into the other parts, and won't take as long as the first part is taking. I focused on my problem spots, and hammered it over and over. I will make a recording tomorrow.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

My goal is to learn to play guitar like its my second language, and my first words to the world will be "Bite Me!".

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 10 2012, 11:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Apr 10 2012, 05:37 AM) *
Apr-9-2012
1 Hour
MRO - Played at 50% first part. Concentrated on clean sounding, getting rid of extra noise from notes that shouldn't be ringing.
Upstrokes is getting more fluid, and comfortable with. I am hoping to reach critical mass with the first part that will carry over into the other parts, and won't take as long as the first part is taking. I focused on my problem spots, and hammered it over and over. I will make a recording tomorrow.

Maan biggrin.gif this is getting really interesting! I think you are very accurate in observing issues and this is a good thing as this will lead to certain progress wink.gif keep up the good work man!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Apr 11 2012, 06:34 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 10 2012, 05:01 AM) *
Maan biggrin.gif this is getting really interesting! I think you are very accurate in observing issues and this is a good thing as this will lead to certain progress wink.gif keep up the good work man!

Cosmin

Apr-10-2012
1H 20min
Worked on MRO with backing track. I feel I am pretty much in time with the drums. I know I can still tighten up my playing.
Have a goodnight. Let me know what simpler teaching videos you recommend. Also let me know when I can proceed to the next part of MRO.
Thanks!

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 11 2012, 09:33 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Apr 11 2012, 05:34 AM) *
Apr-10-2012
1H 20min
Worked on MRO with backing track. I feel I am pretty much in time with the drums. I know I can still tighten up my playing.
Have a goodnight. Let me know what simpler teaching videos you recommend. Also let me know when I can proceed to the next part of MRO.
Thanks!

Hey man! Let's take it to your thread wink.gif

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- DarkWaveRiffer   Dwr's Epic Practice Journal   Mar 23 2012, 06:23 AM
- - Cosmin Lupu   Hey man! This is pretty darn awesome please ...   Mar 23 2012, 08:01 AM
- - Gabriel Leopardi   Wou! This sounds great! We will really app...   Mar 23 2012, 05:21 PM
- - DarkWaveRiffer   Thanks for all offers for mentoring. I decided to ...   Mar 25 2012, 04:16 AM
- - Cosmin Lupu   Very nice mate your brother plays as well playin...   Mar 25 2012, 08:16 AM
- - DarkWaveRiffer   Practiced Task 1 (30 minutes) - getting more flu...   Mar 27 2012, 06:38 AM
|- - DarkWaveRiffer   ok, so without much adieu, I give you my first vid...   Mar 28 2012, 02:28 AM
|- - Cosmin Lupu   Hey mate glad to hear you are making progress...   Mar 29 2012, 08:19 AM
nnn
- - DarkWaveRiffer   3-28-2012 Task 1 (30 minutes) - Getting better, b...   Mar 29 2012, 05:40 AM
- - DarkWaveRiffer   3-29-2012 Task 1 (30 minutes) - Getting better, I...   Mar 30 2012, 05:30 AM
- - Ben Higgins   Hey I'm late on this thread.. you did tell me ...   Mar 30 2012, 01:50 PM
- - DarkWaveRiffer   Hi Ben, Thanks for the great feedback, and inst...   Mar 30 2012, 02:50 PM
|- - Ben Higgins   QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Mar 30 2012, 01:5...   Mar 30 2012, 03:24 PM
nnn
- - Cosmin Lupu   Hey mate, a good exercise to feel triplets would b...   Mar 31 2012, 02:54 PM
|- - DarkWaveRiffer   Hey Cosmin, thanks for the feedback. I am already ...   Mar 31 2012, 03:47 PM
|- - Cosmin Lupu   QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Mar 31 2012, 02:4...   Mar 31 2012, 04:32 PM
nnn
nnn
- - DarkWaveRiffer   3-31-2012 1 Hour I had my guitar lesson. Created s...   Apr 2 2012, 07:57 AM
|- - Ben Higgins   QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Apr 2 2012, 06:57...   Apr 2 2012, 09:23 AM
|- - Cosmin Lupu   QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Apr 2 2012, 08:23 AM...   Apr 2 2012, 09:45 AM
|- - Ben Higgins   QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 2 2012, 08:45 AM...   Apr 2 2012, 09:59 AM
|- - DarkWaveRiffer   April - 3 - 2012 half hour of MRO April-4-2012 1....   Apr 5 2012, 07:21 AM
|- - DarkWaveRiffer   April-5-2012 2.0 hours of MRO 1st part. Played al...   Apr 6 2012, 06:34 AM
|- - Cosmin Lupu   QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Apr 6 2012, 05:34...   Apr 6 2012, 06:47 AM
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - DarkWaveRiffer   Friday Apr-6-2012 2 Hours MRO part 1 - Lesson lear...   Apr 8 2012, 07:22 PM
- - dark dude   It's a shame the practice blogs were removed, ...   Apr 8 2012, 09:22 PM
- - DarkWaveRiffer   QUOTE (dark dude @ Apr 8 2012, 03:22 PM) ...   Apr 8 2012, 11:37 PM
|- - DevilsWolf   This is cool man, my fingers are itching for strin...   Apr 9 2012, 04:44 AM
|- - DarkWaveRiffer   QUOTE (DevilsWolf @ Apr 8 2012, 10:44 PM)...   Apr 9 2012, 06:44 AM
nnn
nnn
- - Cosmin Lupu   Great stuff man! Keep it going   Apr 9 2012, 08:43 AM
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - DarkWaveRiffer   1 Hour MRO Part 1 50% of original speed X5 times 6...   Apr 12 2012, 06:17 AM
- - DarkWaveRiffer   1 Hour MRO slow practice It was hard to stay slow....   Apr 13 2012, 06:07 AM
- - DarkWaveRiffer   April 13 I came up with some ideas for some song...   Apr 17 2012, 05:44 AM
|- - Cosmin Lupu   QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Apr 17 2012, 04:4...   Apr 17 2012, 07:31 AM
nnn
- - DarkWaveRiffer   33 Hours total - April April 17. 1 Hour Playing ...   Apr 18 2012, 05:20 AM
- - Cosmin Lupu   Ahoy mate! Glad to know Metal Metrics 4 is get...   Apr 18 2012, 10:00 AM
- - DarkWaveRiffer   April 18th 1H 30min Worked on new material from ...   Apr 19 2012, 06:40 AM
- - Cosmin Lupu   Hey mate, we can take care of that - you were talk...   Apr 19 2012, 10:59 AM
- - DarkWaveRiffer   QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 19 2012, 04:59 A...   Apr 19 2012, 01:03 PM
nnn
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:54 PM