5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Open For Questions
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jun 16 2008, 04:40 PM
GMC:er
Hello Marcus smile.gif

Whats the best part of being in a succesful band ? Honestly ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Jun 16 2008, 05:07 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Thanks for the answer Markus! Sadly this beauty is out of my price range, but one day...! wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Jun 23 2008, 05:11 PM
Hi there Marcus,
I was wondering if you could upload a GP5 file your Penta Solo lesson...I find it hard to play it with the right rhythm without it and I can't play along the video yet when I begin to play that lesson...would be great....And oncemore MANY MANY compliments to that solo...it sound absolutely breathtaking...(and that's the reason why I wanna learn the exact timing) biggrin.gif Viele Grüße nach Krefeld..it's an honour to have such a prominent guitarist here with gmc...

This post has been edited by Nighthawk: Jun 24 2008, 10:47 AM

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jun 24 2008, 02:30 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Marcus,
I've got two questions, one being a technical one...
First: Since you put the song Otherland on the last album and Hansi (I think) said in an interview that the whole theme of the book(s) can't obviously be covered in one song, how about releasing an album based on that novel? I think it's waaay better than Lord of the Rings (sorry, I know you like it...).
The technical question:
Does the fret (or string) height matter when playing metal? I've got 4 guitars, and only one has a very low string height on which it's (relatively) easy to play fast solos and tapping stuff. The other ones (among them a nice Strat that I got from my dad) have high fret heights, so I have to push the strings down with more power. I tried to adjust it, but then the strings touch the neck and the sound is awful. I've read that Hendrix played on a Fender with a high fret height, and that it was almost impossible to play (except for him).
So, what's your opinion on that? (I`m not sure if fret height is the wrong term, I mean the distance between the fret and the bottom of the strings).
Grüße aus Münster
Gitarrero

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jun 24 2008, 07:01 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Jun 16 2008, 05:40 PM) *
Hello Marcus smile.gif

Whats the best part of being in a succesful band ? Honestly ?

I guess there are many great things about being in a succsessful band, it is awsome to be able to make a living with something that you love of course, it is incredibly great to be able to tour around the world and see so many different places and cultures, it is awesome to go on stage and get this immediate feedback when you play your songs and you see all the fans go nuts smile.gif

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jun 24 2008, 03:30 PM) *
Hi Marcus,
I've got two questions, one being a technical one...
First: Since you put the song Otherland on the last album and Hansi (I think) said in an interview that the whole theme of the book(s) can't obviously be covered in one song, how about releasing an album based on that novel? I think it's waaay better than Lord of the Rings (sorry, I know you like it...).
The technical question:
Does the fret (or string) height matter when playing metal? I've got 4 guitars, and only one has a very low string height on which it's (relatively) easy to play fast solos and tapping stuff. The other ones (among them a nice Strat that I got from my dad) have high fret heights, so I have to push the strings down with more power. I tried to adjust it, but then the strings touch the neck and the sound is awful. I've read that Hendrix played on a Fender with a high fret height, and that it was almost impossible to play (except for him).
So, what's your opinion on that? (I`m not sure if fret height is the wrong term, I mean the distance between the fret and the bottom of the strings).
Grüße aus Münster
Gitarrero

About Otherland, I have to say that I didn't read those books yet, thats still on my "to do" list, so I can't really judge how good they are, but obviously Hansi liked them a lot, so there might be more songs about them in the future, not necessarily a full concept album, but who knows... wink.gif
About the setting of your strings, I guess this is something very personal. I for example don't like those ultra flat settings, all my guitars are more medium I would say, this is how I feel most comfortable. So as long as you feel fine and get along with your settings, why change? Of course it might make sense to experiment a bit if you never did this so far, maybe you find a setting that you like better than the one that you are using now, but as I said, as long as you feel fine there is no real need to change anything.

@ Nighthawk: I have to admit that I never used this GP5 software so far, I don't even have it in the moment, but I will see what I can do, ok?

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Jun 24 2008, 08:24 PM
@ Nighthawk: I have to admit that I never used this GP5 software so far, I don't even have it in the moment, but I will see what I can do, ok?
[/quote]

That would be great thanks a lot...

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jun 27 2008, 07:48 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Marcus, I`ve got a couple of other questions about many different things, but that`s what this forum is for, isn`t it? ;-)
About being in a band:
I myself play in an "Oldie-Band" with a couple of older men ;-) 50+, though I`m only 27, but well...since my Dad did the same I grew up with the music of the sixties. Personally, I like it a lot more to play in a pub with only 50 or 100 people standing directly in front of the stage (in case there is a stage...) than playing on some birthday party or so in a ballroom, where the crowd is far away from the stage. I know you play in another league, but many professional musicians say they like the small club concerts more than big stadium concerts. What`s your opinion on that? Would you rather play in front of, let`s say, 800 fans in a club or play on the main stage at RaR or Wacken? It must be awesome to play for so many fans, but isn`t it easier to establish a connection when there are not so many fans and the atmosphere is kinda...cosy, like in a small club?
Puh, already wrote alot for just one question, I`ll keep the rest short ;-)

How are BGs rehearsal sessions? Do you meet and say "well, let`s play these 10 songs today, and next time we`ll continue with 10 other songs"? Cause that`s the way we rehearse, but I`m never sure if that`s so effective.
About songwriting: Do you write something, play it for the others and they add their ideas? And about finding lyrics, would Hansi say to a song "I think Otherland-based lyrics would fit nicely for that song" (here we go again ;-) )? Or would he write such a song all by himself?

About guitars:
In my Band, I play a Strat, because it`s a great guitar to create a nice sixties sound. But besides Yngwie and the guys from Iron Maiden no metal guitarists seem to use them. Why is that? Is their sound to smooth or tame?

About you:
What music do you listen to? Do you stick with metal, or do you also listen to bands from other genres (let`s say Ärzte, Green Day etc.)? What are your favourite bands? Do you listen to non-guitar music like Hip-Hop or electro stuff (like Massive Attack etc.) as well?

Oh, when are you going to give a new lesson? And how do you like the Blind Guardian lesson by Lian?

Well, that`s quit a lot, would be great if you could answer all of it sometime :-)

Thanks for your reply to my other question, since I gave it a shot and tried to play faster stuff on my Strat with the higher string height it works pretty well. I think you just have to practise.

Grüße aus Münster

Gitarrero

This post has been edited by Gitarrero: Jun 27 2008, 07:52 AM

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Jun 28 2008, 09:38 AM
Is it true that when we (the fans), buy albums, most of the money goes to the industry? And that bands members rarely make a living off selling albums, but they make a living by playing live?
It concerns me because I really want to support the bands I love, and in Hawaii, not many bands come here.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jul 9 2008, 09:52 AM
Wow, many new questions are waiting to be answered smile.gif ok here we go:

About the gigs, well, both, small club gigs and also big festival shows, have something special, and I have to say I like both as much. Of course the contact to the audience is more direct in smaller shows, when you play big festivals like Wacken for example, the pit in front of the stage is like 5 meters, if not more, so this limits this feeling of having direct contact to the first rows of course. On the other hand, when 80000 people start singing the bard song this is more than amazing.

About our rehearsals, well, BG is a band that doesn't really rehearse that much wink.gif The normal situation for us is that we rehearse before we go on tour. First we decide about what songs we want to play on the next tour, normally we play around 18-20 songs per night, but we always rehearse more songs, so we can change the set a bit each night. So after deciding about maybe 30-35 songs we start rehearsing, which means we rehearse every day, for 2 or 3 weeks, up to 6-8 hours per day, after this we should be fit for touring wink.gif

Songwriting is something that we all do at home, we work with our little studios (Pro Tools, Logic, whatever) and capture our ideas, and at some point we hand them to Hansi so he can sing to whatever we recorded before. About his lyrics, he is in charge of singing, so he writes all the lyrics, we don't interfere with this.

About stratocasters, well, as you said, it is a great guitar for certain styles of music, but when it comes to metal I think other guitars deliver a better sound, but well, this is a matter of personal taste of course, and as you said, Ingwie would never pick anything else but his strats.

About my taste in music, I listen to all kinds of things. For me there is music I like and music I don't like, if a song catches me I don't care at all if it is metal or anything else, then it is just a good song. I like all kinds of metal bands, but also love bands like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Bad Religion, Green Day, Dire Straits, Marillion, Rush, Tori Amos...

And about my next lesson, well, I recorded the videos yesterday and after answering your questions I will just write the tabs and upload it wink.gif And Lian did a BG style lesson??? Damn, I didn't see this yet smile.gif

and yes, it is true that the biggest part of the money that we have to pay for cds doesn't really end in the musicians pocket.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dirrio
Jul 23 2008, 06:12 PM
Ganker or gankee? smile.gif Or do you prefer to play on pve realms?

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jul 24 2008, 10:24 PM
Nope, I play on a pvp realm, but I have my pvp and my pve seasons, in the moment I am only interested in raiding Hyjal and Black Temple, so the horde is not in danger smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rethla
Oct 4 2008, 05:29 AM
Since youre open for question, really nice of you btw, i have one for you smile.gif

I just herd the new song on youtube and it sounds great. I will buy the game for sure but i was wondering will you release a single to? If so that wuld be really great as you culd also throw in All the kings horses and such wich the japs are constantly gloating us with smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Oct 4 2008, 11:59 AM
There is no plan for a "Sacred" single, but we might use the song for the next album, maybe in a slightly different version, we will see.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Canis
Oct 4 2008, 09:03 PM
Learning Rock Star
How's your WoW going? ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Oct 6 2008, 07:08 PM
As always, very well wink.gif 10 days to go until the patch, a bit more than a month until the add on...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tono Fyr
Jan 13 2009, 05:06 AM
I'm really sorry about the barrage of questions I'm about to send out on you...

How do you guys decide on which songs to play before you go on tour?

And I have to ask, will you guys be playing more new material this upcoming tour? I loved the show in Atlanta back in 06 (I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get to meet you guys - though I did get to see you get off the bus and into the car to go to whatever hotel it was you were staying at), and it still stands as the best show I've seen, but I think the classic list is honestly getting a bit.. stale? I don't like to use the word, but honestly, only playing 3 or 4 songs off a new album during the tour for that album seems a little strange to me. I know there are some classic songs that you just have to play live - every Blind Guardian fan DESERVES to experience "The Bard's Song" at least once in a live setting - but, I don't know, I just feel like you guys could stand to change it up a bit. I'd love to hear some underplayed (or Unplayed) songs, Battlefield or The Curse of Feanor or Straight Through The Mirror or... (this list could just keep going, honestly). I think you guys could fill up three setlists worth of songs you haven't played much live, and all of them would be fantastic!

And are there any tentative dates for the next tour? I've got my fingers crossed that there'll be some US dates!

When are you going to post your next lesson? I'm sure you're level 80 already : P

And lastly, I just want to say, you guys are pretty much my favorite band, and one of the major reasons why I started playing guitar.

PS: I know you guys are never going to play Majesty again if you can avoid it : P

+Quote Post
Rethla
Jan 13 2009, 01:07 PM
Yeh i agree. If you play The Curse of Feanor next time in Sweden it wuld truly be awsome wink.gif

+Quote Post
Mandos
Jan 13 2009, 01:46 PM
Play The Curse of Fëanor in Stockholm and I'll be very happy indeed. biggrin.gif

--------------------
[color="#808080"]Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Gothic with EMG 81 and 85, Crafter Acoustic, ESP LTD F-205

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jan 23 2009, 05:49 PM
Don't worry about asling questions, thats what this forum is here for, isn't it? wink.gif About setlists... actually this is a rather tricky thing. As you mentioned yourself there are some songs that we HAVE to play, otherwise we will be tared and featherd at the end of the show, there are some old songs that we didn't play in a while and that we would like to play again, and of course there is a new album that we want to present... and the solution can only be a compromise. About the amount of new songs, personally I really dislike it if a band plays the full new album on tour, I prefer 4 or 5 new ones and then a classic mix, like this there is also more room for old and "underplayed" songs. About the songs that we "have" to play... unfortunately this list gets bigger and bigger with every new album wink.gif So all we can do is pick some of those "must play" classics for todays show and exchange them with some others for the next show. Actually this is something we always do, if we play 20 songs in a show we rehearse about 30 or 35, so we can change the set a bit every night, like this we can cover more songs. Sometimes we even skip the "must play" songs if we are just not in the mood to play them. For example, in our last Tokyo show we kicked the Bards Song, it was the very first time ever since 92 that we played a show without that song, and it was a nice experience wink.gif About the next shows, we will play some festivals this year, for example the Bang your Head festival in Germany, Graspop in Belgium or the Gods of Metal in Italy. It won't be a real tour, just some festivals, the next tour will only start after the release of our next album, which should be somtime next year. And about the setlist for the upcoming festivals... well, so far there is no setlist wink.gif When the time comes we will all make a list with songs that we would like to play and then we will somehow try to turn it into a setlist. And about majesty... I guess this song will still be haunting us for some more years smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jer
Jan 23 2009, 05:52 PM
Will you guys be returning to the US anytime in the near future?

You can all stay at my place if lodging is the hold up.

smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:30 PM