Great Tip For Motivating Yourself, Practice more, better, and longer!
ConnorGilks
Feb 17 2013, 07:03 AM
GMC:er
Just thought I'd share a few things that have helped me with my practicing!

1) When you don't feel like picking up the guitar, and you feel guilty about not practicing, pick it up! It sounds weird but just tell yourself "I'll play for 5 minutes and if I don't want to practice by the end of that, I'll go back to playing video games/watching TV etc." I found that I have practiced way more these days by picking up the guitar for a few minutes even when I don't feel like sitting down and practicing, the next thing you know I've practiced for an hour!! It's weird how our minds work.

2) Keep a YouTube playlist of videos that make you want to practice! Everything from live footage of bands you like, to workshops from your favorite players, whatever inspires you! Then when you feel lacking in motivation or inspiration, go through the playlist and watch a few videos, and maybe you'll get inspired to practice or write something! I've got a playlist of tons of lessons and performances that I look at whenever I'm just "not feeling it", it works like a charm!

3) Keep some posters/pictures of the players you like somewhere you'll see them. Put up posters in your room or make a computer desktop wallpaper of players you dig. Every time I look at a picture of a player I think about the techniques they use, the songs of theirs I like, good memories of when I first heard them or learned a song of theirs... lots of positive energy and brain power in those associations! I find myself forgetting about players I used to love, then rediscovering them and practicing their stuff a ton for a few weeks. This is just a way of making that feeling happen more often, and controlling it to be more beneficial for you.

4) Create something that happens/is for when you practice, and for no other time. For me, what I did was I got a lamp for the corner of my room, one of those lamps that stands tall and shines up on the ceiling. Whenever I practice, I turn off the normal light in my room and turn on that corner lamp. It creates this association in my mind that says "Okay, now it is time to practice." I've found it helps me focus more when I practice at home, yet does not have any negative impact on my practicing outside of that environment without that lamp.

These have helped me out a lot! I hope they help you as well, let me know how they work for you and feel free to offer some tips of your own. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- ConnorGilks   Great Tip For Motivating Yourself   Feb 17 2013, 07:03 AM
- - Cosmin Lupu   Hey mate I totally agree with these things and gu...   Feb 17 2013, 08:21 AM
- - PosterBoy   I love the times you pick up the guitar for just 5...   Feb 17 2013, 03:23 PM
- - David.C.Bond   Some cool ideas here man!   Feb 18 2013, 03:37 PM
- - Gabriel Leopardi   Hey Connor! those are really interesting tacti...   Feb 18 2013, 03:54 PM
- - Bossie   great tips...!! Motivation will never be a...   Feb 18 2013, 11:17 PM
- - Cosmin Lupu   What sort of goals do you have for now Gabe? And ...   Feb 18 2013, 11:31 PM
|- - Todd Simpson   I guess I"m lucky in that I never had to ...   Feb 20 2013, 07:50 AM
|- - Gabriel Leopardi   QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 18 2013, 07:31 P...   Feb 21 2013, 11:55 AM
|- - Cosmin Lupu   QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 21 2013, 10...   Feb 22 2013, 09:42 AM
nnn
nnn
- - Cosmin Lupu   I for one, have picked a pretty extensive list of ...   Feb 20 2013, 08:39 AM
- - korblitz   Just set up deadlines...Do every week one REC. Or ...   Feb 20 2013, 01:04 PM
|- - Cosmin Lupu   QUOTE (korblitz @ Feb 20 2013, 12:04 PM) ...   Feb 20 2013, 05:11 PM
|- - Todd Simpson   Well said !!!! PRACTICE!!...   Feb 20 2013, 10:51 PM
nnn
nnn
- - Rammikin   Excellent ideas, thanks! Here's the techn...   Feb 21 2013, 02:04 AM
- - Jonas Tamas   If you already have your goals for guitar playing,...   Feb 21 2013, 09:12 AM
- - Cosmin Lupu   Thanks for the links Jonas and Rammikin I had no ...   Feb 21 2013, 09:36 AM
- - Jonas Tamas   QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 21 2013, 09:36 A...   Feb 21 2013, 09:46 AM
- - klasaine   QUOTE (Jonas Tamas @ Feb 21 2013, 08:46 A...   Feb 22 2013, 08:55 PM
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:18 AM