How Does He Do It?, (Buckethead)
Murloc
May 14 2009, 10:33 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey guys

What is it that Buckethead is constantly pressing instead of strumming in this clip, a killswitch? What is a killswitch anyway?

Buckethead - Jordan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt23
May 14 2009, 10:39 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
It is a killswitch. What it does is it stops the signal while the button is pressed, so the guitar is silent while the button is held down. What it does when he presses it rapidly like that is create short breaks in the sound that seperate individual notes. He uses it to create a robotic sounding alternate to picking.

If you want to see more killswitch stuff, watch more buckethead, he uses it quite a lot, and watch some tom morello solos. He doesn't have a "killswitch", but he sets one of his pickups to 0 volume, and the other to 10, then uses his pickup switch as a killswitch.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
May 14 2009, 11:52 PM
Instructor
Very cool effect. I did it on Gibson long ago. Turn the volume knob off from the neck pickup and leave just the bridge one full open. When I am switching between these two positions I get the same effect. I learned it in 1990 from Kee Marcello (Europe).

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
May 15 2009, 12:11 AM
Instructor
A long time ago I was searching for that effect and I found these vids, I hope this helps you in anyway.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
lcsdds
May 15 2009, 12:34 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I have kill switches on two of my guitars......still haven't found an opportunity to use it much. Maybe in Emir's next collab. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
May 15 2009, 12:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (lcsdds @ May 15 2009, 12:34 AM) *
I have kill switches on two of my guitars......still haven't found an opportunity to use it much. Maybe in Emir's next collab. smile.gif

That would be cool to hear smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 15 2009, 07:02 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (lcsdds @ May 15 2009, 02:34 AM) *

Oh you lucky man!! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
May 15 2009, 10:16 AM
Learning Tone Guru
When I saw this, I am planning this to:) One more way how to step out of the crowd of soulless shredders tongue.gif

Oh.. first I need to learn to shred.. well w/e smile.gif

EDIT:

LOL at the drummer from 4:00

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: May 15 2009, 10:21 AM

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Matt23
May 15 2009, 10:18 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
I made myself a killswitch, but I got to admit, I don't actually use it much.

+Quote Post
gibsonmatte
May 15 2009, 10:31 AM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ May 15 2009, 12:52 AM) *
Very cool effect. I did it on Gibson long ago. Turn the volume knob off from the neck pickup and leave just the bridge one full open. When I am switching between these two positions I get the same effect. I learned it in 1990 from Kee Marcello (Europe).

Dude! Did you actually meet up with Kee Marcello and he showed you this?

--------------------
My Last FM page

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 15 2009, 11:12 AM
QUOTE (gibsonmatte @ May 15 2009, 12:31 PM) *
Dude! Did you actually meet up with Kee Marcello and he showed you this?

No surprises biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
May 15 2009, 11:20 AM
Learning Tone Guru
I guess Emir showed him twice as much btw... biggrin.gif

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 15 2009, 11:59 AM
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ May 15 2009, 01:20 PM) *
I guess Emir showed him twice as much btw... biggrin.gif

And he was only 12 at 1990 laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jesse
May 15 2009, 12:30 PM
crap, I thought I invented this!:D

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Murloc
May 16 2009, 02:59 AM
Learning Roadie
If a killswitch simply "kills" the sounds, how can it then be used to create sounds? huh.gif

+Quote Post
jafomatic
May 16 2009, 04:03 AM
QUOTE (Murloc @ May 15 2009, 08:59 PM) *
If a killswitch simply "kills" the sounds, how can it then be used to create sounds? huh.gif

Negative space, Murloc-san!

Also, tap at his pace on the body of your guitar (say, near the volume pot) while fretting the 12th fret of your 6th string. Hear anything? That will vibrate the strings even after he releases the button. By releasing and pressing again, as he is tapping it vigorously, he is effectively "gating" the signal coming from the instrument.

The fun part is that you control the gate tempo & rhythm with your own picking hand, rather than programming one into your DAW or some effects processor.

edit: further, he will also use legato timed with the engaged switch watch how he plays jumpman or jordan.

This post has been edited by jafomatic: May 16 2009, 04:05 AM

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
kahall
May 16 2009, 06:52 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Murloc @ May 15 2009, 08:59 PM) *

Only the bucket knows.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 16 2009, 07:55 AM
QUOTE (kahall @ May 16 2009, 08:52 AM) *
Only the bucket knows.

+1 rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:20 PM