3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Vonhotch Picks Are Back!
vonhotch
Dec 24 2014, 02:20 PM
GMC:er
That's great! It looks like it was an amazing show!

Getting costs down was really due to finding cheaper suppliers for EVERYTHING from the aluminum to the coating to packaging. And getting more efficient in the process of making them. The very first one I made took me over an hour to make. I've found better ways to do just about every step and have cut down the time it takes each one by A LOT. smile.gif I was never a person who would have paid a lot for a pick so getting the price down was important to me. I feel much better about the price point now. I've been hooked on economics books lately (Yea I'm nerd like that), and looking at things economically helped find better ways of doing things.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 24 2014, 10:25 AM) *
Hey mate!

It was successful beyond any expectation I had - that evening, we raised about 5000 bucks and all in all, after several additional donations, around 6500 bucks. Here's the video recording of the gig:

and a pic with the team that I worked with so that we could make things possible:

[attachment=40288:10849928...639892_n.jpg]

How did you manage to reduce the production costs?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Dec 26 2014, 05:25 AM
Learning Roadie
Just got my Octavius for Xmas cool.gif

The hole is a little weird for me, since I never used star picks or anything like that in the past - but the overall feel and slight twang it gives makes up for it ten fold.

A new loyal customer biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 26 2014, 03:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Dec 24 2014, 01:20 PM) *
That's great! It looks like it was an amazing show!

Getting costs down was really due to finding cheaper suppliers for EVERYTHING from the aluminum to the coating to packaging. And getting more efficient in the process of making them. The very first one I made took me over an hour to make. I've found better ways to do just about every step and have cut down the time it takes each one by A LOT. smile.gif I was never a person who would have paid a lot for a pick so getting the price down was important to me. I feel much better about the price point now. I've been hooked on economics books lately (Yea I'm nerd like that), and looking at things economically helped find better ways of doing things.

Mate! Learning about every aspect involved in your trade, is of utmost importance smile.gif I'm glad to hear you have discovered ways in which you can improve your customers experience and yes, indeed, it was a show which went beyond any of my expectations. I had no intentions of taking the 'All stars' concept any further, but it seems it has grown into something which is far greater than myself, so I am already thinking about setting things up for the Easter edition - open air, electric, more bands smile.gif

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Dec 30 2014, 02:30 PM
What fun would it be if I had all the right answers straight away. wink.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 26 2014, 02:37 PM) *
Mate! Learning about every aspect involved in your trade, is of utmost importance smile.gif I'm glad to hear you have discovered ways in which you can improve your customers experience and yes, indeed, it was a show which went beyond any of my expectations. I had no intentions of taking the 'All stars' concept any further, but it seems it has grown into something which is far greater than myself, so I am already thinking about setting things up for the Easter edition - open air, electric, more bands smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 30 2014, 09:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Dec 30 2014, 01:30 PM) *
What fun would it be if I had all the right answers straight away. wink.gif

wink.gif Indeed!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 6 2015, 08:46 AM
Good choice!! My fave is the octavious smile.gif The tone it creates helps guitar cut through a mix.

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Dec 26 2014, 12:25 AM) *

The hole is a little weird for me, since I never used star picks or anything like that in the past - but the overall feel and slight twang it gives makes up for it ten fold.

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jan 7 2015, 03:36 PM
Awesome!!! Glad you like it!

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Dec 26 2014, 04:25 AM) *

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Jan 20 2015, 09:24 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Received my order today smile.gif
One 1.27 mm Invader and one 3.2 mm Octavius. Got used to the Octavius pretty fast and definitely like it so far, hasn't been able to really test the Invader yet because I am too stunned by the look and the feel of the Octavius smile.gif Awesome job biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 21 2015, 01:01 AM
WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!!! smile.gif

There is the IBANEZ MAFIA and now there's the VONHOTCH MAFIA!!! smile.gif

record some bits if you can! Let us know how they work out smile.gif The OCTAVIOUS is just PURE AWESOME imho. I just love that pick. It seems to do some of the work for you once you get used to it! Killer job by VON! It took us over a year of prototyping to finalize that design. Enjoy!!!

Todd

QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Jan 20 2015, 04:24 PM) *
Received my order today smile.gif
One 1.27 mm Invader and one 3.2 mm Octavius. Got used to the Octavius pretty fast and definitely like it so far, hasn't been able to really test the Invader yet because I am too stunned by the look and the feel of the Octavius smile.gif Awesome job biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Jan 22 2015, 10:35 PM
Learning Chord Basher
It's an honor to be in the VON HOTCH MAFIA smile.gif

Did a quick video where I played the Octavius, Invader and just a regular pick.

I would also like to have some feedback on my tone from you Todd, do you got any suggestions to make it better? smile.gif

I get some black color on my thumb and finger after I have been playing with the Octavius for a like 60 min, anyone know how to fix this?

This post has been edited by HiimAlex: Jan 22 2015, 10:41 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 22 2015, 11:49 PM
I'd be happy to help you on your tone smile.gif First up!! A few questions.

1.)What gear are you using?
2.)What recording software/hardware do you have to work with?

As far as the black stuff, that's actually pick dust! You may be leaning in to the pick to hard. If you pick lighter, you won't rub the pick on the strings as hard and create pick dust smile.gif IT's a handy way to train your hand to have a bit lighter touch!

Todd
QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Jan 22 2015, 05:35 PM) *
It's an honor to be in the VON HOTCH MAFIA smile.gif

Did a quick video where I played the Octavius, Invader and just a regular pick.

I would also like to have some feedback on my tone from you Todd, do you got any suggestions to make it better? smile.gif

I get some black color on my thumb and finger after I have been playing with the Octavius for a like 60 min, anyone know how to fix this?

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Jan 23 2015, 09:07 AM
Learning Chord Basher
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 22 2015, 11:49 PM) *
I'd be happy to help you on your tone smile.gif First up!! A few questions.

1.)What gear are you using?
2.)What recording software/hardware do you have to work with?

As far as the black stuff, that's actually pick dust! You may be leaning in to the pick to hard. If you pick lighter, you won't rub the pick on the strings as hard and create pick dust smile.gif IT's a handy way to train your hand to have a bit lighter touch!

Todd

Awesome smile.gif !

1.) I use Fender MiM Strat, Tubescreamer Clone (Joyo Vintage Overdrive) and Orange Micro Terror. I also own Orange PPC108 but practice mostly with headphones.

2.) I plug the Amp headphone jack into a soundcard to Reaper.

This post has been edited by HiimAlex: Jan 23 2015, 04:06 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2015, 07:40 AM
Spiff little rig you have there! smile.gif

With a tube screamer in front, should have plenty of gain. The problem is pluging in to the computer like your doing. It results in a somewhat poor sound quality. The headphone jack output is not idea for recording.

You might get better tone by setting the amp to a clean sound and recording in to your computer and using something like AMPLITUDE or OVERLOUD TH2 to get the distortion sound for recording.

Using reaper, you launch your guitar plugin on the channel you are using to record. So it's running inside reaper. Then you can adjust the sound as you go.

If you want to record the sound of your real amp, I'd suggest getting a microphone like a SHURE SM57 and putting it in front of your speaker cab. You would need an adapter to convert the micrphone cable to the little 1/8th inch input on your soundcard but those are very inexpensive. smile.gif

Hope this helps!

QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Jan 23 2015, 04:07 AM) *
Awesome smile.gif !

1.) I use Fender MiM Strat, Tubescreamer Clone (Joyo Vintage Overdrive) and Orange Micro Terror. I also own Orange PPC108 but practice mostly with headphones.

2.) I plug the Amp headphone jack into a soundcard to Reaper.

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Jan 24 2015, 07:39 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Thanks Todd for your tips, I will consider it for a bit and see what is the best solution smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2015, 08:05 PM
You can download free versions of AMPLITUDE and GUITAR RIG to get you started smile.gif Let us know if you need any help on further setup!

QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Jan 24 2015, 02:39 PM) *
Thanks Todd for your tips, I will consider it for a bit and see what is the best solution smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 20 2016, 01:25 AM
Been getting some questions on VONHOTCH picks so I thought I'd share this review. It has my signature octavious in it.

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
Dec 20 2016, 07:36 AM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 20 2016, 01:25 AM) *
Been getting some questions on VONHOTCH picks so I thought I'd share this review. It has my signature octavious in it.

His website doesnt seem to work. Do you have a link where you can order from?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 23 2016, 11:58 PM
You used to be able to buy direct from his facebook page. The web site, I even helped him with it, was just a needless cost that he eventually let go. He mainly makes picks for friends and GMCers. We are a lucky few smile.gif Outside of us, nobody has these picks on earth. It's their loss. These are rare indeed and very special IMHO.

I'll tell you what, I'll try to reach out to him and see what is going on, I know he was promoted at work and it got in the way of his luthier shop gig. But no matter what I will get you a Vonpick even if I just have to send you one of mine. He sent me his ENTIRE LAST BATCH when he stopped full production so I have more of them than any one on the planet and I'm duly grateful. They make playing guitar easy. It's hard to believe but it's true. I'll send you a couple of my personal picks that I've never taken out of the bags yet to get you started. I think it will cure many of the problems you face.

PM me with a mailing addresss and I'll just ship you a couple to see what you think. If you want to give one away to a fellow player, feel free smile.gif He sent me a prototype and I fell in love with it and urged him to make them for other people as well and VonHotch Picks was born. But after his promotion at his job he had less time for it. It really is our loss. These are simply amazing picks and will improve your technique just by using them. They are MAGIC. IMHO. The pick is of my "SIgnature" Octavious Line, 3mm!!!! Beveled and rounded on the sides with a nice point. Makes string traverse a breeze. It's almost cheating but this aint poker so we don't have rules smile.gif

Todd
Von Fan.

Attached Image

QUOTE (Anders Karlsson @ Dec 20 2016, 02:36 AM) *
His website doesnt seem to work. Do you have a link where you can order from?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 24 2016, 12:04 AM

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
Dec 24 2016, 09:02 AM
Learning Tone Guru
Wow Todd you are a kind guy:) I'll text you in PM.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 23 2016, 11:58 PM) *
You used to be able to buy direct from his facebook page. The web site, I even helped him with it, was just a needless cost that he eventually let go. He mainly makes picks for friends and GMCers. We are a lucky few smile.gif Outside of us, nobody has these picks on earth. It's their loss. These are rare indeed and very special IMHO.

I'll tell you what, I'll try to reach out to him and see what is going on, I know he was promoted at work and it got in the way of his luthier shop gig. But no matter what I will get you a Vonpick even if I just have to send you one of mine. He sent me his ENTIRE LAST BATCH when he stopped full production so I have more of them than any one on the planet and I'm duly grateful. They make playing guitar easy. It's hard to believe but it's true. I'll send you a couple of my personal picks that I've never taken out of the bags yet to get you started. I think it will cure many of the problems you face.

PM me with a mailing addresss and I'll just ship you a couple to see what you think. If you want to give one away to a fellow player, feel free smile.gif He sent me a prototype and I fell in love with it and urged him to make them for other people as well and VonHotch Picks was born. But after his promotion at his job he had less time for it. It really is our loss. These are simply amazing picks and will improve your technique just by using them. They are MAGIC. IMHO. The pick is of my "SIgnature" Octavious Line, 3mm!!!! Beveled and rounded on the sides with a nice point. Makes string traverse a breeze. It's almost cheating but this aint poker so we don't have rules smile.gif

Todd
Von Fan.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Anders Karlsson: Dec 30 2016, 11:21 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 25 2016, 06:14 AM
Happy to Help smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Anders Karlsson @ Dec 24 2016, 04:02 AM) *
Wow Todd you are an kind guy:) I'll text you in PM.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:32 PM