2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Songwriting 101, From conception to final rendering.
Kyle Logue
Feb 11 2008, 02:53 AM
Drum instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Feb 10 2008, 06:06 PM) *
I like the all together.mp3 better wink.gif
Sounded very good with the licks and everything wink.gif I wish you played live rock drum over it wink.gif ehhehehe
This tehno version sounds little "cheaper" to me wink.gif Don't get me wrong my friend wink.gif
Just trying to get you to reconsider the two versions/ideas wink.gif hehehehe

p.s. this is a great topic, very good idea and executed well too.. wink.gif

I like the first one as well, but I think I'm going to keep pushing forward with the techno-ish one. I appreciate the feedback though.

I may add drums to it, but I haven't decided yet.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
Feb 11 2008, 06:11 AM
GMC:er
I really enjoyed reading this, very helpful and actually inspiring for me to sit and WORK on songs instead of waiting for them to come.
Thanks for this!
Are you going to post a completely finished track at any point?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?

+Quote Post
jammer91
Feb 11 2008, 01:40 PM
Hi Kyle,
When writing the guitar bits (lead and rhythm) do you think in terms of scales or modes or just play what sounds good? Because my scalar knowledge is int vast and i feel i limit my self when thinking of scales. But the problem hits me when trying to fill in a solo because i dont know what key im on.

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 11 2008, 02:21 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Kyle Logue @ Feb 11 2008, 02:53 AM) *
I like the first one as well, but I think I'm going to keep pushing forward with the techno-ish one. I appreciate the feedback though.

I may add drums to it, but I haven't decided yet.

Of course man !! smile.gif I just wanted to say how it sounds to me , doesn't mean thats the right way to go wink.gif Happened to me a lot of times when composing to develop some ideas and than after a quite some progress just go back to place it originated and go in a completely different direction wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Kyle Logue
Feb 11 2008, 03:16 PM
Drum instructor
QUOTE (Paul Coutts @ Feb 10 2008, 11:11 PM) *
Are you going to post a completely finished track at any point?

I plan to! What I have posted is as far as I've gotten with the song so far. As I get more and more done...it will be posted here.

+Quote Post
Kyle Logue
Feb 11 2008, 03:17 PM
Drum instructor
QUOTE (jammer91 @ Feb 11 2008, 06:40 AM) *
Hi Kyle,
When writing the guitar bits (lead and rhythm) do you think in terms of scales or modes or just play what sounds good? Because my scalar knowledge is int vast and i feel i limit my self when thinking of scales. But the problem hits me when trying to fill in a solo because i dont know what key im on.

I know maybe 1 or 2 scales. I play by ear and I definitely don't think in terms of scales. This is probably not the best way, but I tend to come up with some decent stuff. I just play what sounds good!

+Quote Post
Kyle Logue
Feb 11 2008, 07:15 PM
Drum instructor
Updated as of February 11th....Keep the feedback coming! Got any questions for me?

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 11 2008, 07:30 PM
I don't hate Bogdan for making this comment. When it comes down to writing songs...it's about personal preference. I can understand that the previous version might sound better to Bogdan, but it's important that you write songs in a way that is fun for you. Personally, I think the newest version of the recording is more fun. People will always have their opinions of your music....when 1 person doesn't like it....3 more will. It's important to take criticism of your work with an open mind and not take it as an insult. Thanks for your feedback Bogdan!

This is a very good advice Kyle!! To add a word or two..People will often give you their own opinions about your songs , and not always they are going to be same as yours..You should listen to everyone and try to think why they said that...Don't get insulted easily, thats a bad way to go..Also know that there is no such song that everyone will like, opinions are bound to be divided... wink.gif

I like the idea of rap singing in verse, and nice lyrics so far! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kyle Logue
Feb 11 2008, 07:38 PM
Drum instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Feb 11 2008, 12:30 PM) *
This is a very good advice Kyle!! To add a word or two..People will often give you their own opinions about your songs , and not always they are going to be same as yours..You should listen to everyone and try to think why they said that...Don't get insulted easily, thats a bad way to go..Also know that there is no such song that everyone will like, opinions are bound to be divided... wink.gif

I like the idea of rap singing in verse, and nice lyrics so far! wink.gif

Thanks! I'm starting to think you have a twitch in 1 eye with all that winking hahaha....just kidding.

Good input!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 11 2008, 07:44 PM
QUOTE (Kyle Logue @ Feb 11 2008, 07:38 PM) *
Thanks! I'm starting to think you have a twitch in 1 eye with all that winking hahaha....just kidding.

Good input!

Yeah your right ! smile.gif Bad habit is taking its tool wink.gif I mean smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Owen
Feb 11 2008, 07:49 PM
Great topic Kyle, I'm enjoying keeping tabs on it smile.gif

@ Bogdan: wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Kyle Logue
Feb 11 2008, 07:52 PM
Drum instructor
QUOTE (Owen @ Feb 11 2008, 12:49 PM) *
Great topic Kyle, I'm enjoying keeping tabs on it smile.gif

@ Bogdan: wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif tongue.gif

I appreciate the support!

+Quote Post
Iluha
Feb 11 2008, 08:05 PM
I think you should pump the bass volume up a bit, I can hardly hear it! and avecourse replace those midi claps, their horrible in my opinion, maybe sample an actual clap I think it will sound better tongue.gif

I think you'r progressing nicely, like you said you'r virtue is you'r creativity and it comes to play, the chords are VERY simple in structure, just straight forward first 5 frets power chords, but you managed giving it a more unique sound with the 2nd guitar and that little lead, also the bass gives it a unique touch as well but as I said it's too low right now!

@Bogdan, you gotta be the laziest man I know wink.gif

This post has been edited by Iluha: Feb 11 2008, 08:06 PM

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Kyle Logue
Feb 11 2008, 08:21 PM
Drum instructor
QUOTE (Iluha @ Feb 11 2008, 01:05 PM) *
I think you should pump the bass volume up a bit, I can hardly hear it! and avecourse replace those midi claps, their horrible in my opinion, maybe sample an actual clap I think it will sound better tongue.gif

I think you'r progressing nicely, like you said you'r virtue is you'r creativity and it comes to play, the chords are VERY simple in structure, just straight forward first 5 frets power chords, but you managed giving it a more unique sound with the 2nd guitar and that little lead, also the bass gives it a unique touch as well but as I said it's too low right now!

@Bogdan, you gotta be the laziest man I know wink.gif

Completely agree. The mix isn't final...I never really mix it much until I've got all the tracks. Bass definitely needs to go up and yea...the claps will probably be replaced by the snare of my drumkit. I think I'm going to actually add some real drum beats to this.

+Quote Post
Kyle Logue
Feb 13 2008, 06:57 AM
Drum instructor
Topic updated as of February 12th....

Didn't get a lot more done, but I'm trying to create new video lessons at the same time.

Hope you're staying up to date with me.

I could seriously use your feedback!

+Quote Post
eddiecat
Feb 13 2008, 07:20 AM

Hy Kyle,
you definitely are a very talented musician.
I adore this thread.
I'm into doing BTs and playing guitar myself,
but I only started 6 months ago,
so don't be mad at me if I snatch some of your ideas! rolleyes.gif
This is great!
Cheers, Eddie

+Quote Post
Kyle Logue
Feb 13 2008, 08:30 AM
Drum instructor
QUOTE (eddiecat @ Feb 13 2008, 12:20 AM) *
Hy Kyle,
you definitely are a very talented musician.
I adore this thread.
I'm into doing BTs and playing guitar myself,
but I only started 6 months ago,
so don't be mad at me if I snatch some of your ideas! rolleyes.gif
This is great!
Cheers, Eddie

Thanks! haha...all I ask is that if you use a song in it's entirety that you give me credit. I don't mind at all if you steal a riff from me that I completely stopped using and use it as your own or even if you create something that derived from my work. I actually made a topic about this exact thing!

If you learn anything from this topic and use it in your own work...I wanna hear it! Be sure to stop by my forum and create a topic so I can hear how I've inspired you!

+Quote Post
eddiecat
Feb 13 2008, 08:53 AM
QUOTE (Kyle Logue @ Feb 13 2008, 08:30 AM) *
Thanks! haha...all I ask is that if you use a song in it's entirety that you give me credit. I don't mind at all if you steal a riff from me that I completely stopped using and use it as your own or even if you create something that derived from my work. I actually made a topic about this exact thing!

If you learn anything from this topic and use it in your own work...I wanna hear it! Be sure to stop by my forum and create a topic so I can hear how I've inspired you!

Oh no!
I meant snatching something from the whole process!
Like songwriting method, recording process and so on...
I'd never "steal" a musical idea!
But I'll sure post things I come up with!

All the best,
Eddie

+Quote Post
Kyle Logue
Feb 14 2008, 01:57 AM
Drum instructor
QUOTE (eddiecat @ Feb 13 2008, 01:53 AM) *
Oh no!
I meant snatching something from the whole process!
Like songwriting method, recording process and so on...
I'd never "steal" a musical idea!
But I'll sure post things I come up with!

All the best,
Eddie

oh! i gotcha now!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:42 AM