2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Experiences With "in Real Life" Guitar Teachers, IRL - what's that? :D
Sondre
Jan 4 2009, 12:43 PM
GMC:er
I had a guitar teacher when I started out, and it helped me alot, especially because I was forced to learn new stuff all the time. Now I just play what I want most of the time.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jan 4 2009, 08:11 PM
It's been said a lot in the thread but I'll have to chime in too with saying that if you're not getting what you're looking for from this teacher, don't keep going. He might be a bad instructor...or it could be that he's just not right for you. You have different goals for your playing, obviously, and if you're not interested in learning how he does what he does, than there's no reason to spend good money to waste both of your time.

I've been on GMC since Jan 07, which was about a month after I first got a guitar. This past summer, I got my first IRL lessons from a local Berklee student that was home on summer break. We did a lot of theory work and learning the fretboard and stuff like that. Mostly technique related...not much really musical, but worked a little on some song riffs here and there.

In November I started having lessons with a guy on the opposite end of the scale. Older. Mostly self-taught. Keeps telling me I'm thinking too much b/c it's just rock and roll. He's got me thinking more about the feel of what I'm trying to do rather than just technique through it, which is something I need right now...being more interested in whether something sounds good and less interested in whether it was played "right" or not.

I'm finding while I get a lot out of the lessons here at GMC, sometimes I get stuck. It's more motivating when I have to stand up in front of someone and maybe tell them that I didn't spend the time to figure out my homework for the week. It's also helpful for me to have someone watch me play something I'm having trouble with, stop me and point out right where my problem is.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jan 4 2009, 08:56 PM
Instructor
My advice to you would be to keep working on GMC on your own as much as you can, and every once and a while schedule an hour one on one lesson with a good teacher who can answer your questions.

I recommend that you prepare a series of questions to ask your teacher.
Whether it's theory or technique related, go to your lessons with some questions you need answered. Discuss with him prior to your lesson and tell him your expectations. He should be able to tell you if he is apt to help you or not.

Those answers should make your progress and also lead you to new questions. If your teacher cannot answer your questions, find another one.

Good luck!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Barenaked Ninja
Jan 14 2009, 05:18 AM
So I let him know yesterday that I was done taking lessons for a while. He was cool with it and gave me his contact info and let me know where his studio was in case I ever needed a "one-off" lesson or anything.

I enjoyed his lessons to some degree, but like I pointed out in my first post the cons outweighed the pros.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 14 2009, 09:45 AM
Lets go fishing!
I had a live teacher for for my first year (which is also when i signed up here). I found he we pretty useless to be honest and I ended up teaching him stuff id learnt here which isnt right huh.gif

Sadly for me there are no guitar teachers like Muris where i live, its just sheep and cows (and they cant play before you ask). So i soak up everything i can from the net, dvds and books and magazines. There is more than enough there to keep me going smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jan 14 2009, 01:22 PM
Instructor
There can be only one Muris, that's true.. And we have him! Haha!

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jan 14 2009, 03:45 AM) *
I had a live teacher for for my first year (which is also when i signed up here). I found he we pretty useless to be honest and I ended up teaching him stuff id learnt here which isnt right huh.gif

Sadly for me there are no guitar teachers like Muris where i live, its just sheep and cows (and they cant play before you ask). So i soak up everything i can from the net, dvds and books and magazines. There is more than enough there to keep me going smile.gif

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 14 2009, 03:08 PM
Instructor
Giving tabs for each class isn't the must imo
but teaching theory IS!!

I do teach a lot in private but seems like theory is my prime topic,
whatever I play I spend like 20mins to explain its theory part,
which is crucial, to know what are you playing. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 14 2009, 03:41 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
What I wouldn't give to have some GMC instructors living next door! Well actually one would be enough tongue.gif
Good guitar teachers are hard to find, no doubt.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
grathan
Jan 14 2009, 07:03 PM
I recently tried lessons as well, but was unimpressed.

I hate the back to back lessons. The eight year old girl with her mom before me would run over by 8 minutes and of course there would be someone waiting at the end of mine which would end on time.

Then the instructor would make me tune to his guitar for 5 minutes.

Then he would ask me what we studied last week. Which would be alright if he was checking if I remembered, but in fact he had no clue.

He kept telling me to bring in mp3s of music I wanted to learn how to play. Each week I told him I can buy sheet music if I wanted to learn someone else's songs.

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Jan 14 2009, 07:57 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Dude.

All you need is GMC, the willingness to learn and the motivation to practice.

This post has been edited by opeth.db: Jan 14 2009, 07:57 PM

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Canis
Jan 14 2009, 08:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Jan 14 2009, 07:57 PM) *
Dude.

All you need is GMC, the willingness to learn and the motivation to practice.

Quoted for truth, and I'm adding a space between this and the next line, just to make it even more obvious.

I've yet to find a better learning enviroment then this very website.. That includes every classroom I've ever been in!
I guess the reason for GMC beeing such a great place, is that we're all interested in guitar and music, and we (gladly) pay this site to gain access to it. So we never have one of "those guys" who don't care about learning and just sits there, sometimes bothering other people tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jan 15 2009, 01:33 AM
Jazz Instructor
Yeah, I can relate to that, you just feel that he doesn't respect your time for which you have paid. Being a decent teacher has nothing to do with being amazing guitarist, that's my opinion. I took 7 lessons back in the 2000 where I begun to play guitar(1 year of experience). My teacher was older guy, like..very experienced musician, and I expected a lot. I mean, lots of material, but I got something little different. Each time we did just one song, just one. Chords+melody. First song was "blue bossa" and for one hour we just played that, even when I nailed it, we just keep repeating it, I played chords and my teacher was jamming, I was like..."I am paying, he's playing". And you cannot tell your teacher how to teach you, you don't know it your self, you can't say "Hey, stop messing around and give me some real lessons!". smile.gif
Now, I think that he was right, you really need to do it slow, small amount of material, it isn't about quantity, really, it's about understanding and practicing at home. For that 7 lessons, I learned 3-4 jazz standards, learned basic jazz chords, and that's was it. But in that 4 jazz standards was lot more that I can expect. Chord shapes, tournarounds, passing tones...
So, what I want to say is, we need to be careful when we suspect at teacher's method, we can't really know, can we?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:43 PM