3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Metallica- Death Magnetic Boycott!, anyone with me?
Alex Lewis
Aug 25 2008, 05:12 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Enucleation @ Aug 23 2008, 07:52 PM) *
This is ridiculous. If you don't like the album then dont buy it. forming an organized boycott of a band really just doesn't say a lot for you.

It's not as if they are releasing songs every now and then for some extra cash, they are trying to write whaty they feel and enjoy it's one thing if the band puts together songs they don't care about to make some money but the fact that it's been 4 or so years since st anger would stand against that.

Edit: OK that wasn't exactly nice of me. I apologize.

Fair point, boycotting a record is probably not the best solution however i still urge others to listen to the album before

going out to buy it just because "its metallica" and make your own mind up about whether it is worth listening to or not

in this respect i think Marcus bang on!.

Music is totally subjective and I want to encourage people to have their own opinions about it, and i don't take offence easily (comes with being from the uk) so i respect your view no need for apologies.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 25 2008, 05:40 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
How can you Boycott an album you didn't hear yet ? I'll take a good listen and than judge it! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Alex Lewis
Aug 25 2008, 05:44 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
have heard so far cyanide unforgiven 3 and parts of other songs so yes indeed it may be to early to tell nut so far i'm not impressed and yes boycott as i said earlier is a bit extreme

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Aug 25 2008, 06:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 24 2008, 01:34 PM) *
When St. Anger was released I checked out the album, I didn't like it at all, and therefor I didn't buy it, very simple.

Same here, one friend bought the album and when I came into his house I had listened and of course I didn't like it, so I'm never gonna buy this album.
But there fact is that lot of people buy the album because is a Metallica's album. The true and sad reality !!

+Quote Post
PhoeniX
Aug 25 2008, 08:31 PM
GMC:er
Well i listened to a few songs of the album, and i liked it, If you want to do it go to www.myspace.com/metallica

+Quote Post
Bedlam
Aug 25 2008, 08:56 PM
Why so much hate? Metallica is one of the greatest bands to ever come around. I can't tell you how much Kirk and James have influenced myself and pretty much everyone that's a member here. Yes, they've put out some crappy albums, but at least give them a little respect and wait until the new ablum comes out before bashing them. It will probably be no Master of Puppets, but it has potential to be better than 90% of the crap on the radio now...

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Aug 25 2008, 10:25 PM
QUOTE (Bedlam @ Aug 25 2008, 03:56 PM) *
Why so much hate? Metallica is one of the greatest bands to ever come around. I can't tell you how much Kirk and James have influenced myself and pretty much everyone that's a member here. Yes, they've put out some crappy albums, but at least give them a little respect and wait until the new ablum comes out before bashing them. It will probably be no Master of Puppets, but it has potential to be better than 90% of the crap on the radio now...

theres so much hate because they are WAYYYYYY overrated. metallica were never anything new, even when they came out. there were always other bands who were faster, better, and heavier. nowadays, they just try to ride whatever metal trend is most popular at the time, in the hopes of making another dollar.
Edit: on the topic of the new album, it sounds, to me, very boring and contrived. i believe "Crap" would be a proper descriptor.

This post has been edited by Guitarman700: Aug 25 2008, 10:31 PM

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 27 2008, 12:08 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
thats nonsense in my opinion, there are always bands that are faster, harder, more brutal or whatever, but all this is not what makes a band a good one. Metallica had some great albums that defined a certain sound, and when they moved away from that sound many people freaked because they just can't accept the fact that a band whants to develop and not play the same stuff over and over again. I never like load, I never liked reload and I won't even comment on St. Anger, but I respect the fact that they tried something different. Would you really like it if they would keep rleasing Puppets over and over again? I would be bored to death by now I guess, even though Puppets is their best album in my opinion...
*edit* forget what I just said, Lightning is better biggrin.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 27 2008, 12:33 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 27 2008, 01:08 PM) *

That's the spirit, Ride the lightning is their best album! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Aug 27 2008, 12:45 PM
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 27 2008, 07:08 AM) *
thats nonsense in my opinion, there are always bands that are faster, harder, more brutal or whatever, but all this is not what makes a band a good one. Metallica had some great albums that defined a certain sound, and when they moved away from that sound many people freaked because they just can't accept the fact that a band whants to develop and not play the same stuff over and over again. I never like load, I never liked reload and I won't even comment on St. Anger, but I respect the fact that they tried something different. Would you really like it if they would keep rleasing Puppets over and over again? I would be bored to death by now I guess, even though Puppets is their best album in my opinion...

with all due respect, and considering i used to be a huge metallica fan, i wish they would just go away. its embarrassing. i have no trouble with trying something new, but it has to be good as well. they desperately want to be relevant again, but the music world has moved on. they didnt change their sound for the sake of newness, they did it for this ---->$$$$$
they got greedy, unfortunately, and it cost them dearly.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30

+Quote Post
Alex Lewis
Aug 27 2008, 09:27 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Certainly opened a can of worms with this one,

I certainly give Metallica alot of credit for their earlier material and I agree bands do need to try other sounds also but they must certainly also keep some of the key ingredients they had in the first place.

For example:-

Tool: each album is very different and yet you can still hear the links between them? with Metallica they kind of lost their way but I think St Anger proved that some bands seem to be have more diehard fans than others?

The reason I posted this thread is because I'm kinda fed up with being dissapointed with these guys. In addition I think an objective standpoint needs to be taken with any each new release based on its merit alone, not on a bands past?.

In this respect having now heard my apocalypse, cyanide, the day that never comes and the unforgiven 3 in their entirety I certainly don't think this album will be worthy of the praise it will undoubtedly recieve from fans and critics alike but thats only my opinion?.

Alex

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 28 2008, 12:24 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Aug 27 2008, 01:45 PM) *
with all due respect, and considering i used to be a huge metallica fan, i wish they would just go away. its embarrassing. i have no trouble with trying something new, but it has to be good as well. they desperately want to be relevant again, but the music world has moved on. they didnt change their sound for the sake of newness, they did it for this ---->$$$$$

Don't you think that concerning money, they best they could have done would have been releasing the black album part 2 instead of load? If money was the only driving force for the last 3 albums then their plan went terribly wrong, because neither load, nor reload, nor St. Anger sold as much as the previous albums sold.
Just to make this clear, I am not trying to defend the band or the last 3 albums, I also didn't like them, but I think any band on this planet has the right to record whatever they feel like recording, after all nobody forces us to buy such albums.
And therefor I don't see the point in bashing them so much now. I will check out the new one when it is released, if I like it I will buy it, if not, well, then I won't buy it, thats it. I just don't see the need for all this flaming and bashing

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Kuba Szafran
Aug 28 2008, 01:43 PM
Instructor
I totally agree with Marcus. Nobody forces you to buy it. Cyanide and The Day That Never comes aren't maybe masterpieces, but they don't make me boycotting whole album.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 28 2008, 02:00 PM
Instructor
I agree with Marcus. It's cool that they are always experimenting and trying to do different albums. It would be very boring if they continue recording the same album every year, and all of you would be saying: Metallica always records the same album.. they are on this for the money.. ohmy.gif

My favourite album is the black album and they get this album trying to do something different from the previous ones. I also like LOAD and off course I have to say that Ride the lightening and Master of Pupets are metal masterpieces for me.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
edguy
Aug 28 2008, 02:13 PM
Learning Roadie
Yeah i think Markus choose the right words. For me Metallica is the best band around the metal scene.
I saw them live 2006 and it was so great to feel the spirit they have. James is one of the coolest guys on stage I ever saw.
And i also like the Load and Reload Album and St Anger well it is an another story. Sometimes i like to listen to it but sometimes i dont like it. But then i have 1000 of other records i can listen to.

So I definitely buy the new Album and see if it is good or bad but i think it is not neccessary to flame and say Metallica only record albums for money and they sold their souls or something.

Greetings

Edguy

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Aug 28 2008, 05:07 PM
Some of you really should get a life! laugh.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
JuanMV
Aug 28 2008, 10:17 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Alex Lewis @ Aug 23 2008, 02:48 PM) *
Ive had enough i really have after rewatching some kind of monster recently i realised that metalica have not done

ANYTHING woth listening to since about 1992.

That's YOUR opinion.

i can't believe that collectively everyone myself included ( i bought both st anger and the dvd myself! ) has let them get fat off their old reputation, whilst other fantastic and worthy bands struggle to make ends meet.

Metallica has been and probably is one of the best and most succesful bands in metal history. There is not and "old" or "new" reputation. You must judge a band for what it did in its entire career, and therefore I cannot be negative about Metallica, even if I did not like St. Anger either, or even if I do not like the new album. The other bands did not make it as Metallica did because they are not as good as Metallica. Period. Otherwise they would have made it.

I cannot bear to part with anymore hard earned cash on a band who have already been multi millionaires many times over and have in the past had the audacity to moan about a few kids downloading their album ( no i don't agree with illegal downloads either but why did no other band complain about the exposure it managed to give them except probably the most sucessful band in metal?).

There is nothing wrong with a band making millions of dollars. After all, they all want to make money. Why did not other bands complain? Well... there is a famous war strategist that said "do not interfere when somebody else is destroying your enemy". Besides, if, I don't know, Testament wanted to go against illegal downloads, they would not have had the same impact, right?

Metallica has reached a point in which it does not matter if the average metalhead thinks everythig they produce is not good. They are just too big. And yes, if you do not like what they are doing, just do not listen to it!

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 28 2008, 10:40 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Aug 27 2008, 07:45 AM) *

Guitarman, I know you and I tend not to agree on the subject of metallica ( biggrin.gif ). So I'll try to word my say here carefully! But I must disagree with you about your view. If every attempt to do something different was a success, we wouldn't have bad music against which to compare the good music. Failure, in my opinion, is absolutely essential and this pertains to almost everything in life. Arguably, they failed on St. Anger. I didn't like it. I did like Load, and reload to a lesser extent. But even if you didn't, you have to give them props for trying. Even if they failed.

I can't see it as them attempting to ride on trends set by other bands, if nothing else the amount of time between each of the albums recently should prove they aren't in this for the money. The labels are undoubtedly pushing them to make another Puppets, and probably have been for years, but yet they still take their time (four years is a long time for another album, you can bet the record company is not totally happy with that).

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Aug 29 2008, 11:33 PM
QUOTE (JuanMV @ Aug 28 2008, 05:17 PM) *
The other bands did not make it as Metallica did because they are not as good as Metallica. Period. Otherwise they would have made it.

if that was true, and popular=good, then that would mean that hannah montana and britney spears are the best bands ever. popular DOES NOT equal good.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30

+Quote Post
Sondre
Aug 30 2008, 12:50 AM
The funny thing is that Load, reLoad and St. Anger would be fantastic albums, if they werent Metallica. But the fact that it is Metallica, and NOT trash makes the die hard fans say its shit. Personaly i only like a few songs from Load / Reload and TBA, but i love all the early albums, and St. Anger. After all, St. Anger is REAL heavy metal, where the early albums are thrash metal. wink.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:01 PM