Help Me Get The Ultimate Jackson King V
Yash
May 27 2012, 02:37 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys, I am buying this guitar.

http://www.cmcguitars.com/Jackson-USA-KV2-...g-v-kv2-sbd.htm

But I am getting it modified in order to make it more versatile and better. I talked to a salesman and after a few e-mails, I have decided on these.

- Duncan Jazz in the neck (add $75)
- 5 Way Blade switch (add $10), positions are
1. Bridge Humbuker, 2. Bridge Single Coil mode (coil tap), 3.Bridge and Neck Pickups, 4.Neck Single Coil mode (coil tap), 5.Neck Humbucker
- Knob Controls
- Master Volume, with push-pull for additional gain boost (add $50)
- Mid Boost, pushed down to be engaged and pulled up for off, EMG SPC (What would be other function to the push pull I can assign, any ideas) (add $50)
- Master Tone, with push pull for phase splitter (add $20)
- A Killswitch (didnt tell me the price for this)

- Floyd Upgrades like trem stop and some other stuff the guy mentioned from http://www.floydupgrades.com. Not getting the Kahler, would charge $250 for that.

He's taking $300 for all the modding and setting up everything.

Questions

1. Should I change to the Planet Waves or Sperzel tuners or stick with the stock ones ?

Any other nice mods you'd like to recommend, shoot 'em. I want this one to be special. wink.gif

Um... how do I add a picture in this post ? hehe

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Yash: May 27 2012, 02:40 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
May 27 2012, 02:58 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Dude. Thanks for showing me this site. There is a guitar calling out my inner viking here.

http://www.cmcguitars.com/Jackson-USA-Cust...p-rr1-crvdm.htm

If only I had the money laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 27 2012, 06:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ May 27 2012, 02:58 PM) *
Dude. Thanks for showing me this site. There is a guitar calling out my inner viking here.

http://www.cmcguitars.com/Jackson-USA-Cust...p-rr1-crvdm.htm

If only I had the money laugh.gif

Quick !! To the longboats !! We've got some pillaging to do !! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Yash @ May 27 2012, 02:37 PM) *
Um... how do I add a picture in this post ? hehe

Hey Yash, this sounds really nice ! To add a pic, just click the 'choose file' button, find a jpeg on your computer and click 'upload' smile.gif

+Quote Post
Yash
May 28 2012, 11:54 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 27 2012, 05:04 PM) *
Hey Yash, this sounds really nice ! To add a pic, just click the 'choose file' button, find a jpeg on your computer and click 'upload' smile.gif

Thanks Ben.
Here are the stock specs of the guitar.

Attached Image

Body: Alder
Neck: Neck-Thru-Body Quartersawn Maple & Bound Fingerboard and Headstock
Neck Dimensions: 3rd Fret: .775", 12th Fret: .835"” (Jackson Speed Neck profile)
Tuning Machines: Sealed Die-Cast Tuners
Fingerboard: Ebony with Compound 12” to 16” Radius
No. of Frets: 24 Jumbo Frets
Bridge Pickup: Seymour Duncan® JB™ TB4 Humbucking Pickup
Neck Pickup: Seymour Duncan® JB™ TB4 Humbucking Pickup
Inlays: Mother of Pearl Shark Fin Position Inlays
Controls: Volume (Bridge Pickup),
Volume: (Neck Pickup),
Master: Tone
Bridge: Floyd Rose® Original™ double-locking 2-Point Tremolo
Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade:
Position 1. Bridge Pickup
Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups
Position 3. Neck Pickup

Hardware: Black
Pickguard: None
Scale Length: 25.5” (648mm)
Width at Nut: 1-11/16” (43mm)

Should I get a Kahler 3300 or should I stick with the Floyd. I've heard that its difficult to palm mute on a Floyd Rose, but I've seen so many do it easily. What's the difference ???

And should I change the tuners ? If yes, which ones.

This post has been edited by Yash: May 28 2012, 12:03 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
May 28 2012, 12:40 PM
QUOTE (Yash @ May 28 2012, 10:54 AM) *
Thanks Ben.
Here are the stock specs of the guitar.

Attached Image

Body: Alder
Neck: Neck-Thru-Body Quartersawn Maple & Bound Fingerboard and Headstock
Neck Dimensions: 3rd Fret: .775", 12th Fret: .835"” (Jackson Speed Neck profile)
Tuning Machines: Sealed Die-Cast Tuners
Fingerboard: Ebony with Compound 12” to 16” Radius
No. of Frets: 24 Jumbo Frets
Bridge Pickup: Seymour Duncan® JB™ TB4 Humbucking Pickup
Neck Pickup: Seymour Duncan® JB™ TB4 Humbucking Pickup
Inlays: Mother of Pearl Shark Fin Position Inlays
Controls: Volume (Bridge Pickup),
Volume: (Neck Pickup),
Master: Tone
Bridge: Floyd Rose® Original™ double-locking 2-Point Tremolo
Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade:
Position 1. Bridge Pickup
Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups
Position 3. Neck Pickup

Hardware: Black
Pickguard: None
Scale Length: 25.5” (648mm)
Width at Nut: 1-11/16” (43mm)

Should I get a Kahler 3300 or should I stick with the Floyd. I've heard that its difficult to palm mute on a Floyd Rose, but I've seen so many do it easily. What's the difference ???

Well, I am pretty certain that Gotoh 510's are the best tuning machines, but they are mighty expensive(for tuning machines). They average about $77.50 USD for a set of 6.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,...etal_Knobs.html

I personally have never had a problem Palm Muting on a Floyd Rose. My bassist in my last band had some severe issues with it though. I think it just depends on how heavy handed you are.

Runes would make far better inlays wink.gif

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Yash
May 28 2012, 02:21 PM

QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ May 28 2012, 11:40 AM) *

What are you guys talking about ???

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 28 2012, 02:30 PM
Instructor
Hey Yash smile.gif I knew you would think this through to the very last detail.

In my opinion (I am not experienced with Jackson guitars, even though my first EVER electric guitar was a RR Jackson - but hey back in '99 I didn't even have any idea regarding what my name was, right? biggrin.gif) you should find the closest to the King V guitar you can test in India and see if it's nice for ya and if the budget you have is covering the price.

On the other hand, all these modifications you mentioned are pretty costly and maybe at this point you could go without them - try the axe as it is and if you still think you need those modifications and you can tell the difference in playability and tone between an axe having them and one which doesn't, then it's time for you to have them.

Let me know how this goes

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
May 28 2012, 02:36 PM
QUOTE (Yash @ May 28 2012, 01:21 PM) *
What are you guys talking about ???

Vikings... My ancestors biggrin.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Yash
May 28 2012, 02:51 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 28 2012, 01:30 PM) *
Hey Yash smile.gif I knew you would think this through to the very last detail.

In my opinion (I am not experienced with Jackson guitars, even though my first EVER electric guitar was a RR Jackson - but hey back in '99 I didn't even have any idea regarding what my name was, right? biggrin.gif) you should find the closest to the King V guitar you can test in India and see if it's nice for ya and if the budget you have is covering the price.

On the other hand, all these modifications you mentioned are pretty costly and maybe at this point you could go without them - try the axe as it is and if you still think you need those modifications and you can tell the difference in playability and tone between an axe having them and one which doesn't, then it's time for you to have them.

Let me know how this goes

Cosmin

You're right. But the only problem is that I can't test a guitar WITH these modifications because they're my own idea. But now I see, getting the Kahler bridge is too costly.

Do you think I should go with dual JB-4 set or JB-4/Jazz set.

And I can still have a 5 way blade, just $10 tongue.gif, what difference to the bill would it make. And I think you're right. I'd just get the good electronics and trem-stopper or something so that I could toggle between Floyd Rose Fixed Bridge mode and Floyd Rose Whammy Bar mode. Dropping the extra tuners.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
May 28 2012, 02:53 PM
QUOTE (Yash @ May 28 2012, 06:54 AM) *

Personally I'd leave them alone since its got the nuts on the neck to lock it.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Yash
May 28 2012, 02:55 PM
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ May 28 2012, 01:53 PM) *
Personally I'd leave them alone since its got the nuts on the neck to lock it.

OK, tuners - Stock, SET, LOCKED

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
May 28 2012, 02:56 PM
QUOTE (Yash @ May 28 2012, 01:51 PM) *
You're right. But the only problem is that I can't test a guitar WITH these modifications because they're my own idea. But now I see, getting the Kahler bridge is too costly.

Do you think I should go with dual JB-4 set or JB-4/Jazz set.

And I can still have a 5 way blade, just $10 tongue.gif, what difference to the bill would it make. And I think you're right. I'd just get the good electronics and trem-stopper or something so that I could toggle between Floyd Rose Fixed Bridge mode and Floyd Rose Whammy Bar mode. Dropping the extra tuners.

JB-4/Jazz set. It is wonderful to have the extra versatility to compliment your guitar tone. Some people even use JB/Alnico 2 Pro. Try and see if you can find a guitar with the Jazz pickup on it and play it. Or watch some videos and YouTube and see if you think it would be a good idea.

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 28 2012, 03:45 PM
Instructor
That V looks gorgeous Yash. That Dragon is sweet ! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 28 2012, 04:30 PM
Instructor
Wou! That guitar looks amazing man! It's like a beast! biggrin.gif

I agree with Cosmin about modifications, I would try it first and check which things need to be changed before going for the modifications. I can't suggest to change the tuners because I don't know how those ones work. I installed "Schaller" tuners in my Les Paul and it has been a great decision.

Do you have the possibility to try this guitar before buying? This would be also very important... to know how it feels, if it's comfortable for you and so...

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
May 28 2012, 07:36 PM
Instructor
First of all congrats on your new guitar!
If you are spending 2+K on a guitar I wouldn't suggest to touch anything!
It will be a high end instrument and changing it will make it worse!
Additions you have chosen are good if you developing a cheap instrument and trying to make it better!
But it's like buying expensive stuff for a cheap car! It's better to sve up and get the real deal!
P.S. This shape of guitar is very hard to sit down with smile.gif I use to have a Gibson like that and sold it after I did the gig!

+Quote Post
Yash
May 29 2012, 05:58 AM
QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ May 28 2012, 01:56 PM) *
JB-4/Jazz set. It is wonderful to have the extra versatility to compliment your guitar tone. Some people even use JB/Alnico 2 Pro. Try and see if you can find a guitar with the Jazz pickup on it and play it. Or watch some videos and YouTube and see if you think it would be a good idea.

I'll try my best to find a guiutar that has a Duncan Jazz Pickup. But man, I live in India, Its incredibly tough to find a high end guitar, although there are a bunch of intermediate Ibanez, ESPs around.

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 28 2012, 02:45 PM) *
That V looks gorgeous Yash. That Dragon is sweet ! cool.gif

Thanks Ben. The dragon gives it a whole new dimension. I could have it in plain black, but the dragon on it says "This is gonna shred". wink.gif that's what I think. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 28 2012, 03:30 PM) *
Wou! That guitar looks amazing man! It's like a beast! biggrin.gif

I agree with Cosmin about modifications, I would try it first and check which things need to be changed before going for the modifications. I can't suggest to change the tuners because I don't know how those ones work. I installed "Schaller" tuners in my Les Paul and it has been a great decision.

Do you have the possibility to try this guitar before buying? This would be also very important... to know how it feels, if it's comfortable for you and so...

No, I don't. But I tried a Jackson JS-32 KV and a Jackson JS-32 Warrior. The neck felt awesome. And the tone was amazing. I shred on the King V like never before (not even now, and its probably been over 6 months since I tried them. tongue.gif ) And the Holy Wars outro harmonic was there. Almost same as that on record (The 'solo' rhythm just after Marty's second Electric solo and right before Dave's amazing shredding) I couldn't believe that such a cheap guitar would have such a descent tone. The neck was so great that I even played the clean part of In My Darkest Hour, which I haven't done to this day ever on my current guitar.

For the modifications, I've heavily toned down. Right now, as per my last chat with the salesman, Its gonna cost $425. And he's giving these things.

- Floyd Rose Big Block $35,
- Floyd Rose Titanium Saddle Blocks $40 ($20 Install both)
- 5-Way Blade $10,
- Killswitch Mini Toggle $5 ($20 install we will have to drill a small hole in the body for this toggle switch)
- Push/Pull Pots $20,
- PA2 Boost $50, Gain Boost, so that they might sound like active pickups
- EMG SPC $50, Mid-Boost
- Duncan Jazz Pickup $75, including installation and set up will be $100.

I think of leaving the Big Block and Saddle blocks. That'd save me $95. He says it adds sustain and tone. And since it's a neck through, it must have enough sustain for hours, if not days tongue.gif .

And I might even leave the Killswitch, as they'll have to drill a hole. But the 5-way toggle is for sure, and maybe the Mid-Boost too.
My idea of a lead tone is lots of mids and treble, and scooping the bass just a little bit. What's yours?

QUOTE (Alex Feather @ May 28 2012, 06:36 PM) *
Additions you have chosen are good if you developing a cheap instrument and trying to make it better!
But it's like buying expensive stuff for a cheap car! It's better to sve up and get the real deal!
P.S. This shape of guitar is very hard to sit down with smile.gif I use to have a Gibson like that and sold it after I did the gig!

I've not yet bought it Alex tongue.gif But will buy it in the near future. I won't ever sell it. Very right on the cheap car and expensive stuff. And what should I save up for, I wonder. This is the axe I've been dreaming about for the past three months. I saved up. And now I think of getting it.

The shape feels very comfortable to me. I mostly play standing up. And I didn't have any problem playing a similar shaped guitar at a shop sitting down, except it's jack was located on the lower horn of the V. But this one's located on the upper horn. So, it'll be more comfortable.

The reason I am getting this guitar modded now is because once I get it, the only things that's gonna change on it are the strings. tongue.gif
I won't dare to give it to an Indian shop. tongue.gif
If I would like to have it modified later, I'd have to ship it to US, get it modded and then get it shipped back. And it takes at least $475 to ship it one way between India and US (That's what they'll be charging me for shipping.)

And the bottomline is, I really love this guitar. wub.gif

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Yash
May 31 2012, 01:54 PM
Hey guys no replies ?
What do you think ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Jun 8 2012, 04:52 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ May 28 2012, 06:36 PM) *

I totally agree with Alex!
If you're buying such a expensive guitar don't touch anything!
When you become more experienced as musician you can order a Custom Shop guitar with your own specifications.
Or you can buy 2 top notch guitars for that money!!
Be wise. cool.gif

+Quote Post
ringmar
Jun 9 2012, 12:53 AM
I have a king V. Hard tail. No fancy body paint. I love this guitar.

IMHO Don't change anything. If you want pickups in a couple years fine... but other than that everything on these USA made jacksons is more than good enough. Pickups are fine, but people change them anyway due to preferences or just to experience different sounds.

+Quote Post
Mike RR24
Jun 10 2012, 03:54 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ May 28 2012, 05:40 AM) *
Well, I am pretty certain that Gotoh 510's are the best tuning machines, but they are mighty expensive(for tuning machines). They average about $77.50 USD for a set of 6.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,...etal_Knobs.html

I personally have never had a problem Palm Muting on a Floyd Rose. My bassist in my last band had some severe issues with it though. I think it just depends on how heavy handed you are.

Yash I would keep the Jackson Tuners. I have a RR24 Pro Jackson and I love it. I also like the floyd. There is no difference that I noticed palm muting with a floyd as to a fixed bridge. Nice Axe dude.

--------------------
Michael Connell - Ciudad Juarez Chihuahua, Mexico

Gear: Jackson Pro RR24.
Ibanez XPT700.
Mexican Fender Strat 2008 Model.
Marshall MA 100 Watt Head w/Crate Blackheart slanted cab 300 Watts.
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Digitech Metal Master Heavy Metal Distortion Pedal.
THD Hotplate 16 Ohms.
BOSS BR-1600CD Home Studio
DigiTech GSP1101 Guitar Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech Control2 Remote Foot Controller
TC-Helicon VoiceWorks Plus Vocal Processor
Switch-3 Pedal for VoiceWorks Plus Vocal Processor
ISP Technologies Decimator Noise Reduction Pedal

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:11 AM