Another String Muting Thread, Don't want to let ring
Nighthawk1
Jun 26 2008, 03:06 PM
GMC:er
Hey there Gmc,
I also have a question about string muting. I am not a complete beginner but despite of the fact I think I have been doing something wrong the whole time . It bothers me that my licks don't sound clear. (And I am not talking about distortion here)...It's just that I think I let notes ring which shouldn't ring, and I don't know exactly how to mute them...maybe this example makes it clearer to you...
A5 C5
|--3-| |--3-| |--3-| |--3-|

------5----------5----------5----------5------|--
--------8p-5-------8p-5-------8p-5-------8p-5-|
--7b---------7b---------7b---------7b---------|
----------------------------------------------|--
----------------------------------------------|--
----------------------------------------------|

I have always been playing this lick by fretting the fifth fret on the high e and b string the whole time over the lick..so that the A in this case keeps ringing through the whole lick...and I guess that's the reasons why I always think there is too much noise when playing licks like that.
So I wanted to ask how you guys play that lick for example..what do you do to let the note sound as long as their note value really is...?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
jacmoe
Jun 26 2008, 03:11 PM
What's wrong with the other topic? unsure.gif

I would play it without barring the notes.
They will mute when the fingers leaves the frets.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jun 26 2008, 03:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
Yeah, I play it as Jacmoe says.

That said: try and narrow the problem down yourself, play the lick slowly and see what causes the "ringing". You've clearly already done this. The next step should be to try and play it with different fingerings (e.g. without the barring) and see what works. Slow practice will make perfect, and will allow you to work properly on whatever mistakes you may have found in your playing. smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Jun 26 2008, 03:28 PM
Ok thanks for your help guys it really helps a lot...@jacmoe I had posted this in the other topic but nobody answered...I wanted to ask the question there because I didn't want to spam the forum with a new topic while one topic already existed...but the problem is that nobody answers or not many look in it because they think it is just another reply to the things asked above and not another question....

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jun 26 2008, 04:01 PM
No worries! smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jun 26 2008, 04:03 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Try rolling your finger over the frets instead of barring. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:13 AM